Free plans for a larger, simpler, beam engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ariz,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Sorry I cannot help with your beam engine stroke but I think those who can will need more detail. ???

Best Regards
Bob

On mine, both the connecting rod and the piston rod are threaded, allowing adjustments on either end. That said, the total length of the stroke will be equal to the length of the crank * 2. Adjustment of the piston rod or connecting rod merely change the range that the piston travels. As long as your crank matches the drawing, I suspect that your problem is the piston hitting the cylinder head or the bottom of the bore, and in either case you can adjust easiest via the piston rod.

thank you for the answers
I double-checked all the critical measures and I found several little errors
but all these little errors make a great error :(
the problem was that I'm not familiar with inch measures, because here in Italy we works with metric
so I used my electronic digital vernier caliper (wich converts from one system to the other one) to measure the pieces, working 'in metric' in my mental process
obviously I made several little adjustment, and this is the result!
well, I'll made another crank, more accurate, hoping to solve the problem

just another question for kvom: when finished, does this engine work with compressed air?
do you have a pic of your engine to publish here? :bow:
I'm very curios now about this engine

thank you again

it wooooooorks!!! it does run!!!!!!!!

what an emotion, to see it running on compressed air for the first time...
I didn't believe to my eyes

it runs very smoothly, on high and low rpm

thanks a lot to Brian Rupnow for his fantastic plans, to kvom for his support and to all of you for this great forum

well, what can I do now?
hummm... I need another good project to work on :)

Ariz,

Congratulations on a successful build. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Ariz---Congratulations on your build. If you have any video of it running, we would all love to see it.---Brian Rupnow

thank all of you

I'm sorry, but I have to organize me to make a video... my cam seems to have some problems
hope to do it in the next days

for now I'll post some pics of the engine. it is my very first engine, so it could be not so perfect in every detail, but I hope to get better results with time and experience

steam_engine1.jpg

steam_engine3.jpg

steam_engine4.jpg

and this is my poor shed

my_shed1.jpg

the mill is the common X2, while the lathe is a very old Boley
it can be seen also here: http://www.cauzzi.it/boley/index.htm

Ariz--A beautifull job. Thank you for posting the pictures. It always makes me feel very good when someone uses the plans that I post.---Brian

Great build ariz!

I gotta love the lathe!
70 years old + and still earning it's keep.
I don't want to derail this thread so please do a new thread about it
on the tools board. I have lots of questions to ask about it!

Rick

Ariz, looks great.

Brian I just printed out the PDF and put it in the binder. I have all the materials but the brass for the cylinder. I think this will be my next build.

shred said:
I threw the pages into a PDF. This one needs some clean up and a nice title page, but it's a one-stop shop download. Somebody please check all the pages are there-- I'm also open to any page order ideas.

I ran over the attachment limit (it's about 5MB), so here's a link to it on my web site

http://www.shred2.net/~shred/metal/BriansEBeam.pdf

Hi gang does anyone know if the link above that I just downloaded is the latest and greatest. I thought I read that some cylinder dimensions were added later but now I can't find the darn thread. Maybe I was on some drugs or something.. ::)

All the drawings are there. I made them. Just check and make certain that the thread in the piston and on the piston rod read 5-40. If you see any problems, please let me know right away so I can correct them.---Brian

Thanks Brian, I want to at least get the base done this weekend. It will be 1/2 inch because I don't think I have any 5/8ths.

Hi Brian is it possible for you to post the solid model file
Thanks Rob.

hi!
my video cam is definitely gone, so I tried to make some movies with the photo camera
but they are short and quality is very low
also because I was 'controluce' - in front of the light... a discussion with my son didn't convinced him that we were in a wrong place :-\

however, here they are

<embed src="http://www.cauzzi.it/ftp/MVI_0027.avi" autoplay="false" hidden="false" loop="false" type="application/mediaplayer" wmode="transparent" width="350" heigth="425"></embed>

<embed src="http://www.cauzzi.it/ftp/MVI_0028.avi" autoplay="false" hidden="false" loop="false" type="application/mediaplayer" wmode="transparent" width="350" heigth="425"></embed>

<embed src="http://www.cauzzi.it/ftp/MVI_0029.avi" autoplay="false" hidden="false" loop="false" type="application/mediaplayer" wmode="transparent" width="350" heigth="425"></embed>

they are *.avi files... is OK or I have to convert them to mpeg?

Ariz--Very, very nice. Congratulations. I love it when people build from my plans and things work out so well.---Brian

Latest posts

Back