Free plans for a larger, simpler, beam engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian,

For the eccentric rod, I personally wouldn't bother, just tweak to fit when you come to assembly.

If you want to prebend it, you will need two bits of plate half the thickness of the offset. Tape one either side of the rod, with one end of the plate in line with where the bend starts. pop it into a vice and tighten. If the rod is fairly soft, you should end up somewhere near. If not, put thicker plates in and bend until you have your required offset.

See grotty sketch

Bogs

offset bend.jpg

Brian,
Can't you save your drawings in solidworks directly as PDF files? I just noticed this a couple weeks ago. The prints come out much cleaner than when saved as a jpg.Save as then select pdf.
Tim

Brian,
Your pdf files are coming through fine, nice and clear 8)

Bogstandard said:
See grotty sketch

I get the picture though .............. Cheers John ;)

CC

Brian,
Thanks for posting all the great drawings. :bow: I have downloaded,printed and put them in a comb binder. Now I am going over them a little bit. I might even build one before it's over. I normally work in smaller scale, but this is a nice intermediate size that you have chosen. The PDF prints better here, but the JPG's are quite easy to read.
Are you planning to build one soon?
Gail in NM,USA

Gail--I am on holidays untill the end of next week. As soon as I go back to work, I am going to start building this one. I really hope that a number of people will build this engine and post their progress here.--Brian

SignalFailure said:
Great work Brian! :bow:

Can we have a metric version please? ;D
(j/k)

Actually, a metric version is only a mouse click away with my software---it will change all the dimensions on a drawing automatically if I ask it to. I may do a metric version if there is enough interest.---Brian

Brian Rupnow said:
Gail--I am on holidays untill the end of next week. As soon as I go back to work, I am going to start building this one. I really hope that a number of people will build this engine and post their progress here.--Brian

I intend to make one, if only all these people would stop posting good tooling ideas that I 'ave to make.

brain many many thanks i like the bigger ones. im very new to this great hobby and those smallish engines are hard for me. i thank you very much.

Brian Rupnow said:
Actually, a metric version is only a mouse click away with my software---it will change all the dimensions on a drawing automatically if I ask it to. I may do a metric version if there is enough interest.---Brian

Yup, but a program that would convert imperial drawings to 'sensible' metric sizes would be even better ;D

Adam--Sorry, I didn't post the drawings in CAD format, as I work in 3D solidworks, and most people don't have that software.----Brian.

Many thanks to Brian Rupnow and oldboatguy for the inspiration to build my own beam engine. I made mine about 2-1/2 times larger than the original from Elmer’s engines. I also used MDF to make some of the frame parts. It runs great and I’m pleased with the results. I plan to replace some of the frame parts with turned walnut to give it a more finished look when I get some time.

Thanks again and keep the ideas coming.

BeamEngine

I just found this thread and this forum. I was searching for a beam engine plan.
I like your engine. I would like to play with the model and see if I can convert it to a Watts link model like this
http://www.animatedengines.com/watt.shtml
I am a SolidWorks user. Would you be willing to share your model?
Once finished I would of course share my changes.

If you are willing would you contact me at [email protected]

Thanks

hello to all of you!
I just registered myself a few minutes ago to post my question, but first I wish to compliment with you for this great forum, and with Brian Rupnow for his wonderful work!
and sorry for my english, that isn't so good. I'm italian

well, I'm new to this hobby and this one was my first project in making a steam engine (and making an engine too).
I completed the engine yesterday (after a couple of months, working in the week end), and everything goes right but the piston stroke, that is too long.
the engine can't work in this way, because the beam linkage try to push (or pull) the piston over its capacity
so I'm thinking to short the lever on the crankshaft, to correct for this error, but I'm wondering where I miss to hit right results

anyone completed this engine? I would like to know your experience

thank you

Hello, ariz.
Welcome to HMEM. You're English is fine.

I'm not familiar with this engine, but I'd start by double checking all the critical measurements. Perhaps the crank throw is too big or the beam isn't equal on both ends. I suppose also the piston could be a bit too long, or maybe the cylinder a bit short. These are just guesses on my part.

Best of luck,
Kevin

Latest posts

Back