ET Westbury Side Paddle Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started the assembly but having trouble with the valve gear. Does the lifting support on the expansion link move backwards and forwards in mid gear by about .22of an inch. Have set the gear as page 477, 22/3/1956 ME at 105deg to the highpoint of the eccentric.
As far as I know all dimensions are correct.
Any advice appreciated
Graham

Hi kvom,

that engine has been on my to-do list for so long I've already started collecting the metals to make it, even had some of them already painted with the blue ink and scribed!!!!
This thread will surely be of great help, when time will come to cut them to shape (though that'll be a two/three completed engines away, at least).
THANK YOU a lot.
Marcello

I've set this aside for a while as I'm working on the Kozo A3 locomotive. Eventually I want to finish it. Too many projects.

I was wondering if someone would please direct me to the location on this site where these plans are available for download. I managed to find the thread which had the link but they did not produce anything. I was wondering if they have been saved elsewhere or if someone else has saved them. Hopefully there is no copyright infringement with them.
Thank you all in advance.

Greg

Greg
Tried to send plans but your email address is not working. It timed out whatever that is :mad: Even a small email follow up did the same!!
Graham

At last it goes even if its a bit "knocky" may have to adjust the eccentrics or valve position.

Graham

Very nice Graham. A video will be even better.

Heres the video I took at NAMES this year of one built 50 years ago:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvFmxx5lgKo[/ame]

Kvom
When I double click on the image it takes me too photobucket and plays the video.
Graham

kvom said:
Very nice Graham. A video will be even better.

Heres the video I took at NAMES this year of one built 50 years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvFmxx5lgKo
I took a bunch of pics and a quick vid of that myself, thinking about this thread. Thanks for the additional info, I didnt have time to learn the backstory of it.

GRAYHIL said:
Kvom
When I double click on the image it takes me too photobucket and plays the video.
Graham

I got a link to an mp4 video but it errors out, it just might be this computer, however, so dont panic just yet. :)

just amazing :bow: :bow:
Pete

That is one beautiful model. Thanks for sharing the video. I have seen soooooo many neat engines here on HMEM. I just wish there were enough hours in a lifetime to build them all. So I take pleasure in watching a model maker such as yourself bring an engine to life. Awesome job, Larry

Time to resurrect this 4 year old build, parts of which have been sleeping in a drawer in the shop since then. Herbie started his version, and that was an incentive to me to get back on it. Hopefully I have more skills now than then and can do a better job of it. I'll likely remake some of the previously completed parts.

The past couple of evenings have been occupied machining bits rather than metal, as I am modeling the engine in Solidworks. This allows verification of the magazine drawings as well as provides a means for generating DXF files I'll need for the CNC parts.

Here's what I have thus far. I did discover an error in the eccentric rod as shown in the second picture. As drawn, the eccentric sheaves interfere. In reality I suspect that the rod is so flexible that they'll easily bend 1/32" to the side.

engine.jpg

eccentric pair.jpg

I redrew the eccentric rod to offset by an addition 1/32". Some more modeling to get to here. After adding the paddle wheels next I'll think about making some chips.

engine.jpg

Went to the shop to reacquaint myself with what was done previously. Frame with one cylinder mounted (with exhaust hole up hence on wrong side) with cranks and main bearings. Temporary staybolts need to be remade.

large.jpg

Then the tray with the rest:

large.jpg

It will take relatively little work to get the power portion of the engine assembled, as most of the parts are there. The cylinder was drilled with 7 holes for the covers on each side. I didn't drill the hole that is in line with the steam ports, and so will check the drawing/model to see what depth is possible without cutting through. That wil allow an 8 bolt pattern on the rear covers and 6 on the front. Then the only task left is to drill and tap the crosshead guide bracket.

On the valve side I will remake the steam chest in CI or brass. Then I need to finish the eccentric disks, the die blocks, and the center pins for the expansion links.

I have never done any timing on a Stephenson valve gear, and I suspect it may be tricky here. The eccentric disks are fastened to the crank via set screws.

Otherwise, I spent some time modeling the paddles. I probably won't make them feathering as they will never see water.

engine.jpg

Great to see you get back into it Kvom. Thanks for the tip on the eccentrics error.

Bit of investigation today along with partial test assembly showed that the guide bar brackets need to be remade. Aside from being aluminum, I discovered that the mounting holes were both off-center and out of alignment. I will remake them in brass.

The steam chests will be made from cast iron, and I found that this piece of 2.5" diameter durabar just fits the profile needed.

large.jpg

Back