Sleeve questions

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will run it on air. As I said, am I over thinking this. I wanted to run a sleeve with an aluminum piston to help get some weight off the reciprocal assembly. Try and keep the rod /piston/yoke from hammering itself
FWIW, my 3D printed version of the Elmer Verberg Baldy uses a printed piston in a brass sleeve, it has almost no reciprocating weight and runs well. I'd say it depends on how much you intent to run it.

Attachments

• 20230129_151350.jpg
    20230129_151350.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • My Baldy_section.jpg
    My Baldy_section.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 0
FWIW, my 3D printed version of the Elmer Verberg Baldy uses a printed piston in a brass sleeve, it has almost no reciprocating weight and runs well. I'd say it depends on how much you intent to run it.
Is the STL for the 3d printed Baldy available somewhere? I’ve got a friend whose son would like to have a small air engine, and I love printing stuff for kids to put together.

Thanks in advance,
John W

Have fun!
Thanks, I’ll look it over. I love helping kids that’re looking into engineering projects, I wish my own grandkids would show an interest.
I’ve built several small LTD Stirling engines as “kits” for kids to assemble and have given them to dads to help, and it’s always enjoyable to see the “finished” model after they get done. Of course, the question and answer session afterwards is always a joy as well.

I highly recommend this adjunct to our model machining efforts. Surprised at how kids respond to building something and discovering how it works.

Thanks again,
John W

That is a 🐈 engine. I downloaded the file to have a look. "it did not open?", but it looked like opening...... I noticed that it was almost invisible :cool: .
My guess it is 25.4 times smaller than it was supposed to be.

That is a 🐈 engine. I downloaded the file to have a look. "it did not open?", but it looked like opening...... I noticed that it was almost invisible :cool: .
My guess it is 25.4 times smaller than it was supposed to be.
Yes, it is in inches. Even though Canada has ostensibly been metric for decades, I still think in Imperial measure.

Latest posts

Back