Building it!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kvom said:
one of the PVC joints has an annoying drip leak. I'll try some plumbers putty around the joint, and iof that doesn't work I guess I'll need to cut it out and try again. :mad:

Kvom, re-do the joint 8) trust me on this one ;)

CC

Kvom

I'm With CC on this one, With twenty eight years as a qualified plumber and gas installer, I promise it will come back and haunt you just when you need it least. They always do !!!!!

Kind regards

Malcolm

kvom, third vote here on plumbing leak. Okay, plumbing is cheap, and you are right there. Fix it and be done with it, or face a big mess later and kick yourself for not fixing it while you were there!

I am no plumber, but I have a simple philosophy about plumbing... any plumbing loint is one of three things, 1) it leaks; translates into redoing it, 2) it holds, but doesn't fit right; translates into a redo, and 3) it went together right and doesn't leak; translates into "How did the happen?". :big: ;D

Make that a 4th on that re-do. Better done right than patched. Ask me how I know....

Eric

You all convinced me, so I cut out the offending joint and re glued it. The particular piping is and always will be exposed, as it's to the sink pump. The pump has to lift a 1.5" column of water up about 13', so there's always some head in the exhaust pipe.

In other news, the upstairs room is about 95% painted (wife ran out of light before finishing), and I managed to cut and install all but the last 5 steps in the staircase.

Tomorrow my electrician buddy and I will finish all of the remaining electrical work(other than the service change). Tasks on the list:

1) add remaining breakers to the panel.
2) install all exterior lights and the exterior switched outlet
3) install ceiling can light over the shower
4) wire water heater, thermoststat, radiant heating pump
5) wire VFD and disconnect to the mill
6) start on ceiling lights (he'll demonstrate first couple and I'll do the rest later

Job list for Sunday and into next week:

1) finish steps
2) hang handrail in staircase
3) add molding to stairs
4) install toilet and vanity
5) keep adding lighting fixtures

Garage doors should arrive middle of next week.

Wow, what an awesome project kvom! :bow: Thanks for sharing. It's getting close enough now that you ought'a be having trouble getting to sleep at night thinking about the quality shop time that's just around the corner.:)

I remember back when I was young, energetic and financially equipped enough to take on a project like that. Sigh, them days is over. :'(

My youth is past, and neither the energy or financials are what they were a year ago. :(

Work finished today, before it got too cold:

1) Outside: door lights, waterproof outlet, and front spotlights installed.
2) 2 of 4 smoke detectors installed
3) First of 8 flourescent fixtures installed
4) bathroom lights installed
5) VFD wired to the mill, although still missing cutoff switch at enclosure
6) Rest of breakers installed in the panel
7) 3 stairsteps installed, so only 2 to go
8) Water heater wired

Looks as if the electricity won't be turned on in the garage until Dec. 5, so I'll have a fair amount of time to get everything else finished up.

kvom, it's great to hear you are winding it down! I, for one, and ready to see you making chips in the new place! Great work and thanks for taking us along on the journey.

The garage doors were installed yesterday, which makes a big difference now that it's pretty cold and windy outside. With the doors closed it was pretty comfortable working inside this morning, even with no heat.

We got two more of the ceiling flourescent fixtures installed in the garage this morning, as well as the last smoke detector. Three more fixtures to go.

large.jpg

Kvom
You got the beer on ice yet? I like my steaks medium rare....LOL

Steve

Over the weekend and today:

1) Finished installing all of the light fixtures, plus the 30 T5 bulbs that came with them.
2) Bathroom vanity plumbed as well as the toilet
3) Hung the bathroom door (unfortunately not as straight as it should be)
4) Started work on moldings for the stairs and windows
5) Added the entry moldings for the closet opening

I found out today that the rear shop entry door from the stairway has the wrong casing, so took it back. I'll get the door witb the 6.5" casing back sometime next week.

Electricity cutover is on schedule for Dec. 5.

I received my early Christmas package via UPS today, the RPC panel I ordered on eBay from Anderson Converters. I took it over to the local electric motor repair shop, where I had located a new GE 7.5HP motor a couple of weeks ago. The shop owner hooked the panel up to the motor, applied 230V input power, and the motor started right up! We measured the voltage on each of the 3 phases as 240, 240, and 250, so it's pretty well balanced.

So once my shop power gets hooked up next week I should be able to be ready for the lathe to come home.

First time using the space as a garage-shop: greased the front wheel and spindle bearings preparatory to a ride on Friday:

large.jpg

Friday was an off day ... took the Jeep offroading at Tellico. I left it at a friend's house on the way home, where it will receive some tube fenders and crusher corners.

It's been cold/rainy the past 3 days. We managed to finish the moldings around all the windows and doors, plus hung the handrail in the stairs. I picked up window stop moldings for the downstairs transom windows and should be able to install that tomorrow. I'd also like to hang the two interior doors tomorrow before needing to head to class.

I placed my first Enco order today in anticipation of actually making some chips in the garage soon, given that the mill should have power on Friday.

Getting closer!!!

When does the Monarch come home?

Kevin

This is great watching your shop come together. Everthing you have done looks real nice.

Kenny

ksouers said:
When does the Monarch come home?

The lathe is on a farm in central GA, but the owners live near Hilton Head. Basically I plan to pick it up the next time they tell me they will be going to the farm. I still don't know for sure if I will be able to lift it off the trailer with my engine hoist. Some people say it weighs ~3000 lbs, but the manual mentions 2500. I recently bought a 5500 lb. pallet jack, so once I do get it unloaded I should be able to move it into position fairly easily.

My Enco order included oil for the headstock, and I know I will need to get a belt from Monarch to replace the frayed one on the lathe. I still need to order some oil for the spindles.

The first order of business will be to see if the electrics work. I can hook the power up and try the motors and generators without engaging the spindle or any of the gears. After that it's drain/replace all the fluids and try her out.

Kvom
Cute little car!!. Will it be a CJ5 when it gets ripe? :big: ;)

Steve

Electricity was cutover today ;D

Local EMC and my electrician friends arrived about the same time at 8:45 to cut off power to the house and start the meter base replacement. Everything outside was buttoned up at 1:15 and the county inspector arrived at 1:30. At first he said, "looks like you everything right," but after a couple of seconds he saw a flaw. Even though the feeder cables we used are approved for in-ground burial, it seems that for this application they were supposed to be encased in conduit. I stated that we were not going to pour concrete over it, so he let it pass.

He called it in, and we had to wait until almost 4:00 for the EMC to show up to reconnect the power and install the new meter.

Once they left we verified everything we could in short order. So far everything is working. There are a couple of bulbs in the ceiling fixture that didn't light up, and one closet light needed to have its wires tightened. The control panel on the VFD lit up, so that it a plus. It is quite cold in the garage, so I will wait to program the VFD later and then try the mill.

Sunday morning I'm headed down to get the lathe. Looks as if Sunday afternoon I'll be testing all the outlets, programming the VFD, and finishing programming the garage door openers.

Chips may be made soon.

kvom,
My mill makes a thumping sound if the belt isn't adjusted properly, it's definitely in the pulley stack. Perhaps the same for yours.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back