Building it!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet the pulley is hitting each other because the pins on the piece above the spindle that changes the gearing to low. when the pins wear it allows the pulley to drop down to far.My bridgeport did the exact thing you are talking about hope I am making sense.

The lathe and bandsaw are sitting on the trailer parked in the shop, waiting to see if I can get them unloaded. We'll see if the engine hoist can handle the lathe. If I can lift it off I can set it on a pallet jack for further positioning.

The sellers had a hefty gantry crane with two chain hoists at their farm, so loading went smoothly, as did the drive home.

Glad you (and the lathe) made it home safe.

Now, where's the pics ;D

Pics to follow.

They also loaded my "free" horizontal bandsaw on the trailer. It weighs "only" about 300 lbs, but was awkward getting to it with the engine hoist and over the trailer's fenders. Finally got it unloaded just now. It's an old Johnson that will be a restoration project after the lathe is running.

Here's the gear loaded on the trailer:

large.jpg

Lathe sitting on the trailer in the shop with the covers off:

large.jpg

kvom,
That lathe looks in real great shape! It'll clean up real nice with just a little Simple Green and some paper towels.

How was the ride with that much tongue weight? :eek:

Best of luck getting it unloaded, and be safe. Don't get any body parts between it and any immovable objects.

Kevin

kvom,

Add my congratulations to Kevin's.
xyzthumbs.gif

What is Simple Green ???

Best Regards
Bob

Bob,
Simple Green is a cleaner/degreaser available here in the US. It's supposed to be environmentally friendly. It works very well. It works best if left to sit for a moment or two before wiping off, but be careful. It can remove paint quite effectively. I've used it to clean up everything from big diesel trucks and my mill to the car interior/exterior and greasy, grungy stove in a house I rented out.

http://www.simplegreen.com/

Looks like they have a distributor in NSW
http://globalpartners.simplegreen.com/australia.php
So, it should be available in OZ. Commonly found in auto parts stores and home remodel stores around here.

Kevin

Simple green is great bob

but it eats aluminium!! so watch that ... but everything else go for it

spray on, maybe wipe it in , leave for 5-10 and hose off, literally

the hardware at Mardon ( when i was living in SA) stocked it and mitre 10 seems to carry it too

aint seen it at bunnings yet but i kinda dont go there much so maybe its there

cheers

jack

The lathe and saw together weigh less than the Jeep I normally haul on the trailer, although the weight distribution was a bit further forward than normal. In any case I was surprised that the rear suspension didn't go down much at all (the photo angle is deceptive). Truck can legally tow 13K pounds.

Yesterday I was still working on "little stuff", so lathe was ignored. Got the garage door openers and remote light working correctly finally, plus hung the interior shop entry door. This morning I've been commanded by the wife to remove the pile of scrap lumber in the driveway, so a drive to the landfill is in the cards.

I hung the RPC panel on the wall and have a list of connectors to buy to wire it up.

The good news (for me) is that we were able to start cleaning up stuff from upstairs, where the flooring is the only major to-do left. That will be a January project.

Today is also the last shop day at school, so I need to decide what engine part to attempt.

Kevin & Jack,

Thanks for the answer re simple green.

Best Regards
Bob

Kvom, that Monarch looks a nice piece of kit .............. and I know a photo can't tell the whole story but ........ it looks from here that a quick wipe down and plug it in ............ and it will be ready for action .............. enjoy 8)

CC

I got a nice "surprise" this morning while working on cleaning the lathe. It has a taper attachment! The seller didn't mention it, and because Monarchs have a removeable protective cover over the TA I wasn't aware it was there until today.

Other than a missing way clamp it seems to be complete and in decent shape. Looks as if there is a company that makes the clamp part as well, so I should be able to cut tapers at some point,

That is a nice surprise. The seller probably didn't know it was there. Or is it standard on a Monarch?

Since you are cleaning, did you get it unloaded?

Kevin

ksouers said:
That is a nice surprise. The seller probably didn't know it was there. Or is it standard on a Monarch?

Kevin
Supposedly taper attachments are pretty common on 10EEs, but I don't think they were standard.

I am cleaning it while it sits inside on the trailer. The RPC will be ready to go Sunday morning, when my electrician friend is coming by with a 3PH outlet/plug. Looking for a wrecker/forklift/bobcat to unload it at a reasonable price.

TA's were an option. Other options included a "variator", which is a gear-driven TA that could cut longer/steeper tapers, with the angle depending on the gearing.

kvom, it sounds like you have things going your way! And you new toys look very nice as well. I am sure you'll get a few hours enjoyment with them. ;)

My electrician friend didn't show Sunday; his grandfather had to be taken to the hospital. So now he'll finish the RPC wiring this coming weekend. I did wire the panel to the motor and connected the 230V power to the panel via wire nuts. However, when I turned on the switch, all I got was humming from the panel and nothing from the motor. I guess I'll wait until my friend can check my work.

On a positive note I succeeded in wiring together the thermostat, pump controller, and pump for the radiant floor. When I turned on the breaker, everything lit up as it should, and the pump is running. It will probably take a while to warm the floor enough to notice.

I'm still looking for someone to move the lathe off the trailer. So far everyone I've talked to about it wants $150 or so. I may have to bite the bullet on that one.

Kvom...
Have you installed the car lift yet?

Steve

Back