Building it!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kvom, that's great news! Glad things are progressing for you.

On a project, you are really getting to the hardest part of the deal, now. It seems like the last 20% of a job is what just kills the momentum. There's not any one reason, but it always ends up like that. The thing to do is keep plugging away at it and things will fall into place.

Can't wait to see the finished product!!

Picture update: sidings and cornices finally done.

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

My machining class starts up again next Thursday, so regardless of the work needed on the shop, I still get 8 hours or so a week on the machinery.

I'm still hoping to bring home the Bridgeport next weekend. I scored a Servo drive on eBay to replace the defective Chinese x-axis drive. I will likely leave the lathe in place until there is power in the garage. The farm where it's living now will apparently have a crane on-site sometime in the future, which will likely be needed to load it on my trailer. If I get my automotive lift installed then it will lift the lathe off the trailer at home.

Ever get power to the EE?

There is a misconception about VFDs. If the VFD is rated for single phase input then there is no derating required. A 5HP VFD will run a 5HP motor. If it is rated for 3phase only then you have derating issue.

A VFD would be a poor option to run the MG on a 10EE. I think te_gui was referring to replacing the motor-generator and main motor with a VFD and 3 phase motor. This has been done and is how Monarch does it if you order a new 10EE from them today. To do it right though you need to make an adapter that will mount the old backgear box on the new motor to keep the power at low speeds. Thats where the MG unit is great. It has lots of torque at low RPM.

The only real options for running a MG driven 10EE are true 3 phase or a RPC. I built mine from a 15hp motor someone gave me. Bad thing is the machine sucks power even when idling. With the RPC and the MG running I was pulling 20 amps at 240. And the spindle wasnt even running.

I scrapped the MG unit out of mine and replace everything with a brushless servo motor. Works great. Oodles of power at all speeds.

The Monarch is still on its trailer down in middle GA waiting for the shop to be done. Here is a pic from today, when I went down to pick up the Bridgeport.

large.jpg

The shop failed rough framing inspection on two issues that were corrected today. I called in for re-inspection, so that will be either Monday or Tuesday. After that I need:

1) Insulation install
2) Drywall install
3) Service change to hook power to the panel, and finish panel wiring
4) Brickmason to brick up front wall of the garage
5) Garage doors install
6) Install outdoor AC units
7) paint siding
8) install gutters

My DIY components are

1) Install lighting and electric outlets
2) Install indoor AC units
3) Install garage door openers
4) Install toilet and bathrom sink, then tile bathroom floor
5) Install hardwood or laminate flooring upstairs, then baseboards
6) Install thermostat and hook up pump for hydronic floor heating

Wife's DIY components are:

All interior painting

So lots of work still to come.

Hi Kvom
I must admit to a very small amount of toolroom jealousy here, you have the finest lathe waiting to be installed and a beautiful house. Just A thought have you considered an electrical cutoff to all the machines on exit i.e. a pushbutton or isolator to isolate all the machinery, that you can hit on the way out of the shop ? i have read of so many people having damage to equipment during your storms. at this stage it would be so simple to install.

Kind regards

Malcolm

This followed me home on Friday:

large.jpg

I decided (actually the wife decided for me) to leave it in the new shop and let the insulation and drywall guys work around it, rather than move the pieces to the old garage. I should be able to move it to its final destination in a week to 10 days.

In the meantime I'm going to try to clean it up a bit and get the VFD wired to the motor.

Mill is a '65 vintage 9x42 with a 1HP motor. Came with a BP vise and a Newall C80 DRO, plus the air-operated drawbar. Visually it's in pretty good shape (ways and table look clean, spindle turns by hand smoothly).

Looking real good, kvom!

Like Bernd said, this must have been the week for bringing mills home! We now have 3 mill installations going on at the same time!

That looks in great shape. Can't believe it's from 1965. Mine is 1974 (I think) and not nearly so clean. Looks like you have lots of Y axis travel, have you measured it yet?

Keep us up to date on all details of the set up and clean up.

My first job was to remove the old Chinese table drive. The end nut, handle, and degree ring all come off easily. However the bronze gear piece is joined to the end of the leadscrew by a woodruff key, and is a tight fit. I borrowed a 3-jaw bearing puller and managed to get it off, then drove the key out with a drift punch. After that it was simple to remove the 4 cap screws that held the drive to the table.

Then I wanted to put on the Servo drive that I had bought from eBay. The Servo uses only two of the screws, and as well uses a smaller bushing around tghe leadscrew shaft. Fortunately the guy I bought it from also included the bushing in a "box o'parts" he sent with the drive. I imagine I will need to drive the gear piece onto the shaft with a deadblow hammer, as it seems to be a press fit, but I am going to ask on the PM Bridgeport forum before I start pounding.

In the interim I spent about an hour cleaning the table and the ways using Simple Green, shop towels, and some fine Scotchbrite. Took a bit of elbow grease, but quite a few years of grime came away. I sprayed a coat of wd40 over everything, pending getting come way oil. As of this moment, the base under the knee is soaking in Simple Green, as it's the filthiest spot.

Hi Kvom, (I know I know your real name... just every one is calling you your tag.... So I did to!)
I was just reading your list of thigs to do and wondered if the
5) Garage doors install
Was in need of an experienced fitter... Willing to travel and technically will do the fit for free... If the flight is paid for ;D .... Seriously.... :big:

Your shop is looking really good, I dream of such space :'(

Consider my offer carefully before laughing me off the interweb ;)

Ralph.

Divided He ad said:

And of course, I'll be happy to tag along and pass Ralph the spanners ;D

CC

PS: ................. Looking good KV 8)

Kvom

My thought is to put 110 outlets every 6' or so along two walls at 48" height. I will be doing the wiring, and friend who is an electrician will supervise. Since the studs are 16" apart, I can space outlets pretty liberally. The third wall, where the lift will be, will have a couple of outlets, but since I can't put a workbench on that side few are needed.

I would put the same amount of outlets on that wall also. You don't have to use them now
but to install some later may be a PAIN you know where. $20.00 now or $200.00 later.
who knows what will be 2 Years from now.
Hilmar

I counted: 13 double 110v outlets upstairs, 14 down. Plus 4 230V outlet sockets (1 for lift, 1 for compressor, 2 utility for welder, etc.). In addition there are 2 separate 230V circuits for the mill and lathe. For the mill the circuit will terminate in a 2HP VFD; for the lathe in a 7.5HP RPC.

In other news, the rough framing inspection has passed, and the insulation will be installed tomorrow, as will the gutters and downspouts.

Coax for cable TV in both levels has been run, and hooked to the house. About a week ago my next door neighbor's cable went out. The repair guy determined that the buried cable was bad and ran a new cable from the street box to the side of his house. As soon as he had left I turned on our TV to find that it was out. Seems in connecting the neighbor's cable to the box he had busted ours. Next day they show up and run a new cable from the box to our house.

In both cases the cable is left aboveground, as the burial is done by a separate contracted outfit. They showed up today and wanted to know if there was a pipe under my driveway through which they could fish the cable. There isn't. So the solution we came up with is for them to bury a cable from the street up to the front right corner of the garage. We routed it through the wall and up over the doors to the far side, where I had already placed a splitter for the two garage outlets. They replaced my 1-2 splitter with a 1-3 and ran the third output to the house connection. The best part is that they used a better grade of coax than the cable company, and I now don't need to put a splitter outside on the house to route the service into the garage.

Airhose has been run and is waiting for the compressor to find it's new home.

I spent some more time cleaning the base and knee of the mill, and it looks almost as good as new. They really put thick paint on these machines, and even the few places with nicks don't show any bare metal.

On the head I removed both the switch and the brake lever, both of which shouldn't be used when operating with the VFD. Since the switchbox mounts to the motor and has cutouts for the power cable, I'm thinking about removing the switch component and re-using the box for reconnecting the VFD power output lines.

Congratulations on the inspection! Another step closer to completion.

You're right about the paint. They all do it, helps smooth out the finish. You'll also find body putty in places used to fair corners and hide rough spots on the castings.

Beautiful shop for a well deserving 10EE. Can't wait to see what you make when everything is up.

The past two days the drywall installer guys were hanging. Left quite a mess on the floors. Apparently a cleanup crew will come tomorrow, and the day after they will start the tape/mud/sand process. I will be glad to get that over with, as then I can back on the DIY items.

I have quotes for the front brickwork as well as the garage doors, two of the last things to go in.

A friend gave me a tube with fittings that seem to work on the leaky oiler on the mill. Unfortunately it's 3 feet long. At least it will work until I find a true replacement.

Originally I was going to put the VFD on the wall and wire the mill to it, but now I think I'll mount the VFD on the mill itself and put a single plase 230 outlet on the wall instead.

Still shopping for a motor for an RPC for the lathe.

Divided He ad said:
Hi Kvom, (I know I know your real name... just every one is calling you your tag.... So I did to!)
I was just reading your list of thigs to do and wondered if the

'5) Garage doors install'

Was in need of an experienced fitter... Willing to travel and technically will do the fit for free... If the flight is paid for ;D .... Seriously.... :big:

Your shop is looking really good, I dream of such space :'(

Ralph.

So you have not yet had the doors fitted...... The offer still stands ;D 8) ;)

Sounds like it won't be too long before you are making all sorts of pretty coloured chips :D

I still have a great deal of 'space envy' !

Ralph.

Sorry DH, the fitting is included in the price of the doors :p

The cleanup crew got all of the unused drywall and associated mess out of the site yesterday, and did an excellent job. The wife, who is a bit of a neat freak, was even impressed. Hopefully the taping crew will show up today despite the rain.

The local lumberyard guy came over yesterday to firm up the trim needs. It looks as if I can do almost all the finish trim myself: stairs (skirts, risers, treads, handrail), 5 interior doors, window trim, in addition to the rest of the DIY parts I'm already signed up for. There's one window in the stairwell that's about 15' high, and I think I'll need to hire that one out. I should be getting the materials delivered next Thursday.

My weekend shopping list includes tile and a vanity/sink for the bathroom, the smoke detectors, and some miscellaneous utility light fixtures.

Latest posts

Back