Brians Radial Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I must have lived partly right!!! Three of the cylinder plugs came out with no trouble. Two of the plugs were stuck so bad that the ends twisted off the plugs. This turned into a serious mill and ream proposition, but they did come out. I will do the rest of the clean-up on the cylinders after my REAL WORKDAY is ended.

The cylinders are all finished, with the 1/8" diameter pivot pins silver soldered into place. Actually, they turned out very well. No matter how carefull I am with silver solder, I always manage to get some where I don't want it.--In this case, it migrated up the shank of the pivot pin on every cylinder, so I put my precision chuck into my 3 jaw on the lathe, held the cylinder assembly in it, and used my cut-off tool to machine the silver solder off the pin. (It has to be no more than 1/8" diameter or it won't fit into the holes in the main body.) I ran down to Canadian Tire after work today,hoping to get some #5-40 hex nuts, but wouldn't you know it, they had every size BUT the size I needed. I will go over to Brafasco tomorrow and buy some nuts, compression springs, and a 1/4" diameter shoulder bolt x 1/4" long to hold the connecting rod hub to the crankshaft. My Photobucket account is filled up right now, so I won't be able to post a picture untill tomorrow. It takes Photobucket 24 hours to verify that I am who I am so they can sell me Photobucket professional.
CYLINDERPINMACHING002.jpg

aermotor8 said:
ah yes brian.............but are you really you ;)

chuck
After 4 months of recession driven idleness, I'm really not sure if I'm me or not. I finally got a small contract this week, and if I get paid for it in a couple of weeks and not someone else, then I may be more sure I'm myself!!! ;D ;D ;D

THE ENGINE LIVES!!! And its an absolutely awesome runner. Now if I can get my photobucket straightened out,I will post a video.

Glad to hear that it runs.
I was looking back and saw that all of your pics have been replaced with a photobucket logo.
They mean business when you fill them up.
I wont stray too far to see this one run.
Congrats on another "done one"
-B-

Well guys, here it is!!! Its a great runner, and I have absolutely no complaints. It is built exactly as per the drawings (except I didn't chamfer the base yet.) I wish all of my builds, (and yours) would go as quickly and easily as this one.---Brian

Brian, it seems you can think up, design and build a project in about the same time it takes me to think about what I want to build next. :big: :big: :big:

Great job. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Ron

:bow: :bow: BRIAN DOES IT AGAIN!!! :bow: :bow:

way to go, great looking engine and runs real fine

chuck

Fantastic Brian. Congratulations.
This was interesting and got me thinking about radials.
Thanks for the thread!. Great.

WOW Brian. Runs great!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:
???I have been following the build, but for some reason, I didn't realize how small it is. ???
I have used your designs and ideas in the past and this is definitely added to the list.
I hope I am around when you finally retire and just design toy for us guys.

putputman said:
WOW Brian. Runs great!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:
???I have been following the build, but for some reason, I didn't realize how small it is. ???
I have used your designs and ideas in the past and this is definitely added to the list.
I hope I am around when you finally retire and just design toy for us guys.

It is a little devil, isn't it---but there is a reason I made it that small.. The very first engine I ever built was a little Elmer Verburg wobbler, and it ran so well that I used the same cylinder design as the one on Elmers engine. Its a 3/8" bore and 1/2" stroke. When I started to design the main frame, I seen how small it was going to be, but figured that there are a lot of fellows out there with little Taig and Sherline hobby lathes/mills that are very limited as to how large of peices they can machine. I think this will be a very popular engine, so I kept it small on purpose.----Brian

It runs great
Thanks for the extensive build log, I think most anyone could build this one with your documented build.
-B-
I am gathering up materials for this one.

Latest posts

Back