My latest 2 engine builds

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shad

Reaction score
Here are my two latest engine builds. The 2 cylinder is one I designed way back when taking Solid Works 3D CAD class for work, the single cyl. is my version of Elmer Verberg's # 34 Mill engine. All parts are from raw stock, other than the PM Research flywheel casting on the single cyl. engine. Both run VERY smooth on a couple PSI of air.

Attachments

• 20230903_142251.mp4
    23.6 MB
  • 20230904_184327.jpg
    20230904_184327.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 20240302_160945.jpg
    20240302_160945.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240302_161021.jpg
    20240302_161021.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Very nice looking engines. I love building engines from bar stock and/or 3d printing various parts (or the whole engine!) because I don’t have the dough to spend on castings.

Those two engines of yours look like some very nice work, congratulations!

John W

Here's video of another engine I built probably 12 yrs ago. All from bar stock, except for the flywheel, which is a cast "replica" of a Kodak coating wheel. And a photo of some of the engines I've built over the last 45 yrs or so. Only one of my hobbies that "keep me out of trouble".

Attachments

• 20230924_144836.mp4
    28.3 MB
  • 20240215_150219.jpg
    20240215_150219.jpg
    1,001.6 KB · Views: 0
Where have you been all these years? - Making models, not just talking to us about them?
Sadly, I talk a lot and make few.. - And nowhere near as pretty as your collection. I admire your endeavours!
K2 🤤

I am curious about the parallel motion geometry shown in that model/video? Is it really developing a straight line at the con-rod end? - In my head it may not be, but I would need to plot it and do the geometry to check it out. "My head" is often wrong!
But very interesting to watch... Where did you find that one? I assume you copied a real motion from some full sized engine - or plans?
Thanks,
K2

The vertical engine is (if I remember right) a Rudy Kouhoupt design, with some refining and such added by me. And yes, the con rod does stay perfectly vertical and in line with the cylinder. Most of my engines are from plans like those from Elmer Verberg. I’ve built 2 or 3 that were my own design, the little 2 cyl shown above being the latest. And I dont spend much time at all on web forums, but do visit this one now and then just to check stuff out or post something new.

Here are my two latest engine builds. The 2 cylinder is one I designed way back when taking Solid Works 3D CAD class for work, the single cyl. is my version of Elmer Verberg's # 34 Mill engine. All parts are from raw stock, other than the PM Research flywheel casting on the single cyl. engine. Both run VERY smooth on a couple PSI of air.
I like the tiny oilers on the Elmers engine. And you made a cylinder cladding. (how did you do the cylinder cladding. ( I should consider upgrading )

DO you have a plan of the linkage? - It may be something I could use...
Ta,
K2
I was also getting stuck with the linkage too, starting to play with the computer program. It is fascinating. I think (guess) it does not make a vertical line. But there will be a range of motion (cylinder stroke) were the deviation is neclectable small.
I would be interested in the dimesions /ratios too.

Here's video of another engine I built probably 12 yrs ago. All from bar stock, except for the flywheel, which is a cast "replica" of a Kodak coating wheel. And a photo of some of the engines I've built over the last 45 yrs or so. Only one of my hobbies that "keep me out of trouble".
In your photo with the multiple engines, the one in the middle just below the top one, Do you have a photo of that running? Or should I ask if you have had it running as I read they are notorious to get running?

The cylinder cladding is a pc of a soda can I laid out flat and cut to a bit oversize, cut the “flaps” on the ends, then rolled it over a 1/2” rod inside out, so the can graphics are inside. The outside is painted with Testors flat red model paint. If I get a chance, I’ll look thru my plans for the vert engine and take a pic of the dwgs for the monkey motion crosshead arms and post them here. I dont have a vid of the 2 cyl opposed eng. It runs, but is getting wore out from running at our local steam show for hrs on end for the past 30 yrs.

OK, here are a few pics and a video. The Overcrank engine shown above IS a Rudy K. engine. Don't know offhand where plans are available anymore. Try a google search, or it may be in a Rudy Kouhoupt book, if you can find one. Here's a video of the Opposed piston engine running on about 10 psi, and a photo of the "spare" cladding made for my latest "Mill Engine".

Attachments

• 20240325_144735.jpg
    20240325_144735.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240325_144522.mp4
    9.5 MB
The cylinder cladding is a pc of a soda can I laid out flat and cut to a bit oversize, cut the “flaps” on the ends, then rolled it over a 1/2” rod inside out, so the can graphics are inside. The outside is painted with Testors flat red model paint. If I get a chance, I’ll look thru my plans for the vert engine and take a pic of the dwgs for the monkey motion crosshead arms and post them here. I dont have a vid of the 2 cyl opposed eng. It runs, but is getting wore out from running at our local steam show for hrs on end for the past 30 yrs.
So running all the time? But no "photo of it running?" :cool: I always want to do a "before" after photo for parts I make. Usually forget to take photo of raw stock, and forget to make photos of the finished items, before I give them away.
Soda can? Bummer: Not seeing the forest, too many trees blocking sight. Even if I mess up I can just try again and again without issue.
Transparent Cylinder cover! Did you give it some gaskets?

Last edited:
At our steam show, our "model barn" is open from about 9:00 AM til 5:00 or 6:00 PM for 4 days. I usually show my stuff for 3 of those days, and engines are on display and running nearly all day, except for brief periods when oiling and/or cleaning them.
Yes, a piece of plexiglas for a valve chest cover. NO gaskets, but each surface is lapped flat on a piece of fine emory on a surface plate, except for the plexi piece. The only "gaskets" on that engine are a small piece of teflon string, wound around the piston rod and valve rod under the packing nuts.
I usually try to document my progress on engine builds, but sometimes I get going and forget to take photos.

Latest posts

Back