Total novice from Hull UK.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TURK

Reaction score
Good evening all
I've just found your site and signed up. I'm a complete beginner when it comes to machining. I got myself a little lathe/mill combo on a whim about 2 years ago. It's a emcomat 7.

My tapered cap head bolts

Iv also got an old startrite drill press.

I have only used the lathe for turning tapers on stainless steel cap head bolts and making aluminium wheel spacers for a motor bike I have restored.
This is the bike.

So this is my arsenal

I really want to put the lathe/mill to good use and make a engine. Preferably a small 2 stroke.
Was hoping some of the more experienced machinists could point me been a complete novice in the right direction.
Hope the picture links work, And looking forward to reading your suggestions

Thanks
Turk

Hi I'm a novice too, so probably best not to offer too much advice, but wanted to say welcome and you have a nice set up there with the mill/lathe combo, and Pillar drill too:)

What tooling do you have? As most engines steam or gas could be built on one of those, up to a certain size :)

Hi Turk

Just in case you are not aware stainless socket caps are not a suitable replacement for HT socket caps, for your safety take care with replacing stressed fixings.

The engine of the month pictured at the top of page was serialised in this forum and may be a suitable engine for you to start with, piston and contra piston do need to be a very good fit and will test your skills as a beginner but should be possible. Link below to engine story.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=26781

Emgee

Last edited:
I have a old catalog for the emcomat 7 lathe, it is real good built lathe and high quality and pricey here in the USA..

Welcome to the forum. I have a few single cylinder 4 stroke engines under my belt, with a V4 under construction and a V2 in the planning stage, but so far I've avoided 2 strokes as I'm not sure I have the necessary skills. I hear they can be quite fiddly and need fine tolerances to run.

I really want to put the lathe/mill to good use and make a engine. Preferably a small 2 stroke.
Was hoping some of the more experienced machinists could point me been a complete novice in the right direction.

Thanks
Turk

Hi Turk, welcome to HMEM..

As new beginner to build own model engine then i will recommend you can read this link "Model engine news" and find the list at left side in the web site --> click at this "Resource" ---> "How to?" in this web site . There is a lot of tips and how to create own model engine + you has a lot of help of us how to machine a part of model engine etc.. :)

http://www.modelenginenews.org/

Latest posts

Back