Mini Lathe Issues and Concept Execution

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It should not have been hard to do, set up the gear train and turn the LEADSCREW by hand and let that drive the spindle.

As for indexing square collet or 4 jaw would be another way to do it

Same basic concept as a "routerlathe"

This is the sort of setup to do slow helical cuts. 32mm pitch or 0.8tpi was the best this quick lash up using the standard gears would give

It should not have been hard to do, set up the gear train and turn the LEADSCREW by hand and let that drive the spindle.

As for indexing square collet or 4 jaw would be another way to do it

Same basic concept as a "routerlathe"

This is the sort of setup to do slow helical cuts. 32mm pitch or 0.8tpi was the best this quick lash up using the standard gears would give

Jason

Absolutely perfect.

Then he would have just needed a half decent setup with the rotating tool mounted to the cross slide.

Notice I say rotating tool, I doubt a Dremel is rigid enough for what was being described, the nose/front of a Dremel is a bit flexible.

Without knowing the material or the cross section it's hard to say. Wood may be OK but I would not want to be using 20mm or so of side flute on a 1/8" cutter if it is anything hard and certainly not in a Dremel.

Without knowing the material or the cross section it's hard to say. Wood may be OK but I would not want to be using 20mm or so of side flute on a 1/8" cutter if it is anything hard and certainly not in a Dremel.
Would it be still a lathe? :cool: Not that it matters that much.

No it would be a modern machining centre with live tooling ;)

Latest posts

Back