Too cold in the shop

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Groundhog don't know Jack!

Right now he's laying on his back under a heat lamp with
all four legs spread out soaking up the free heat.

I'm thinking of buying a treadle lathe and attaching a squirrel
cage drive to it.
Run or freeze groundhog!

Damn, I could get run out of Punxsutawney for a comment like that! LOL

Rick

My shop is warm but with a cold floor too

Try a cheap welcome mat at the machine....it helps

Dave

A big problem with my shop is the lack of insulation in the ceiling. The walls are well insulated; but I can't seem to keep the damn red squirrels from invading the garage in the winter. They make a nest out of anything they can tear up, so insulation up there isn't going to happen until I get rid of them and find a way to keep them out.

I'm heating with an old trailer furnace, which works okay; but the older I get, the less I like forced air heat. I bought a coal stoker-stove for in the house this past fall and we really like it. Not spending the whole paycheck on heating fuel helps too. I think I might buy another for in the shop for next winter too.

Kevin

You guys ever heard of a corn stove? Big in the midwest. They burn shelled field corn and are automatically stoked. Burns clean and hot.

Chuck

I hate to gloat, but here goes: ;D

When building the new shop, I insulated to the hilt and installed radiant heating in the floor. Shop space is now 60F with no drafts when it's freezing outside (like yesterday). For me that's just the right temp to work.

Of course, I haven't gotten the first electric bill yet, so there may be crow on the menu eventually.

Maryak said:
Hey Guys,
Move to Oz ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D

We had 41.8 yesterday. That's C, not F! I know it's been far too hot in Adelaide (and parts further east) lately too...

I put a direct vent heater in and it works a treat. and it's still legal as a garage should I move.

I insulated my walls before I moved in. Ceiling will be done after the electrical is upgraded. I am thinking about an infrared heater down the length of the shop. Does anyone use infrared? Any suggestions?

We had a near record month of snow, Its all gone now tho'

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3707428934918362328&hl=en

This last week it has been hovering around -30 Cent. (-22 Far), makes it hard to get the enthusiasm to walk through the snow to the shop.

Well last year I bought a Kerosene heater for my shop ( small cinderblock one car garage built in the early 1900's) well this year the only place I can buy Kerosene is where I bought the heater but you have to buy 20 gallons at close to $100.00 which it would take me about fifteen to twenty years to use up kind of takes the fun out of it. Cliff

It warmed up to 25F here today.
woohoo1.gif

But... We got 10" of snow last night and more on the way.
Jan18Snow.jpg

I really starting to dislike this winter thing.

Cliff said:
Well last year I bought a Kerosene heater for my shop ( small cinderblock one car garage built in the early 1900's) well this year the only place I can buy Kerosene is where I bought the heater but you have to buy 20 gallons at close to $100.00 which it would take me about fifteen to twenty years to use up kind of takes the fun out of it. Cliff

Cliff,
Could you use #1 diesel fuel in it? Should be very close, maybe even a little cleaner. And it'll cost about half as much as the kerosene.

$5.00 a gallon is a ripoff. I was in Lowe's today, they wanted $9.95 for a gallon. Down right thievery!

diesel fuel will work.now a days its cleaner fuel that it was before.
also if you have it there diesel fuel for farm equipment is cheaper at least here it is, no road tax ect. you can get fuel at truck stops ect.

For all you folk out there buried in snow and complaining about freezing your... whatever's... off

I envy you.

You see, around here it tends to hover around 33F (2C) with 99% humidity which sucks the heat right out of you no matter how you bundle up. And with this kind of weather the arthritis reminds you once again you're no spring chicken. But when it's colder and the humidity freezes out I can do quite well down to 10F with just a sweatshirt and to 0F with an insulated jacket. Below freezing to me is just invigorating.

And when it's raining you can't do a thing outside without getting soaked. If you don't wear rain-gear the water soaks through and you get wet. If you do wear rain-gear it traps the sweat in and you get wet. Ain't no way you can be outside and not be wet! But with snow it just slides off and you can stay dry even in a heavy whiteout snowfall.

No, I'll take your -20 and a foot of snow any day over 33F and rain.

Hey, anybody want to trade houses for the winter???

earl...

Potman

it was 42 Deg C here the other day outside the factory, in the shade ( 99-100 deg F)

47.8 Deg C was the read out on the temp guage inside the factory!!! ( 109 in the old money)

i worked a lot later than i normally do to allow the days heat to wain a bit ( it was down to 37 by 9 pm)

about 2 am the change hit and it went from 36C to 24C in less than 5 minutes (94 deg F - 74 Deg F)

went to bed then,

bugger freezing your whatzits off in snow etc, did that a couple times in Siberia (-35 deg C) afghanistan -20 Kosovo -15 so pass, on winter wonderlands for jack

give me heat and lots of it. Humidity too! good for the blood and thirst

a BBQ and a few cold gold pale ales to wash it all down with

hmm thats livin

cheers

jack

I've had ENOUGH!
We are to get another winter storm here tonight.
I just checked the weather advisory and saw this:

Issued by The National Weather Service
Pittsburgh, PA
3:09 pm EST, Tue., Jan. 27, 2009

... WINTER STORM WARNING NOW IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 7 PM EST WEDNESDAY...

THE WINTER STORM WARNING IS NOW IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 7 PM EST WEDNESDAY.

A STRONG STORM SYSTEM WILL GENERATE SNOW OVER THE AREA ON TONIGHT AND WEDNESDAY.
SNOW IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN THIS EVENING WITH THREE TO FIVE INCHES OF ACCUMULATION POSSIBLE
OVERNIGHT. SNOW MAY MIX WITH SLEET OR FREEZING RAIN ON WEDNEDAY MORNING AND THEN CHANGE
BACK TO SNOW BY AFTERNOON WITH ANOTHER TWO TO FOUR INCHES OF ACCUMULATION.

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW... SLEET... AND ICE ARE
EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.

Other than that, we expect it to be a great day! ::)

Rick

Rick,
You're getting our used weather. Bundle up. It's freakin COLD!

Kevin

I'm with you on having had enough. I am east of you in the Pocconos and we're supposed to get 4 to 8.

You Guy's aren't the only ones with extreme weather. :eek: :eek:

At least if your cold you can put more clothes on, when your hot there is a limit to how much you can take off, (I'm at that limit - my birthday suit :big:).

Wednesday's forecast for the Adelaide district
January 28, 2009

Adelaide
27-44C

Forecast Almanac
Parafield Airport, 12:39 CDT
Temperature: 43.9°C
Heat Index/Wind Chill: 41.3°C
Humidity: 11%
Wind: WNW 26km/h
Gusts: 37km/h
Pressure: 1005.7hPa