A new lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I haven't been active here for a few years but felt a pending addition to the workshop may benefit from some group discussion.

First up, some history. For over 25 years I have owned a wood turning lathe but haven't used it seriously for well over 7 years. My workshop co-exists in a 2 car garage and I am seriously short of space. Recent thoughts of upgrading my current metal lathe suggested that something would need to go. The obvious choice was the wood lathe. As you can see in the first photo, the wood lathe and the metal lathe shared the same space but it was not a happy co-existence.

Wood Lathe 1.jpg

The metal lathe is cowering in the towels .

Here it is after escaping to a different location.
TU 2004.jpg

As you can see, it is an Optimum TU 2004 200 mm x 300 mm (8" x 12") with a spindle bore of 21 mm, a chuck diameter of 80 mm, 0.6 Hp motor and variable speed between 150 - 2500 RPM. It weighs in at a beefy 75 kg.
I have upgraded to QCTP and have installed a DRO. I have no regrets with either of those mods. Given the obvious limitations it has performed well and reliably. However, my main complaint is the stupid compound slide arrangement. To adjust for Taper turning the compound needs to be wound completely back to gain access to the two locking screws. Any form of screw cutting requires changing the gearing. Apart from one brief attempt, I have not done any single point thread turning and taper turning requires a major investment in both patience and time.

In summary then, while I have been very happy with this lathe, it does have some major limitations if I want to progress into bigger and more complex turning. The good news is that I have now sold the wood lathe and I am currently working on a complete redesign of the space.
New Space.jpg

Virtually every major item in this workshop is on wheels. The basis of this new area is a 45" long tool cabinet that has been lifted off its wheels and lowered onto some adjustable floor blocks. I have added an 18 mm thick wooden shelf on top that is bolted to the cabinet and to the back wall. The cabinet top is now a respectable 36 mm thick and 1200 mm x 600 mm. The cabinet is now very rigid.

Noting that purchase options in New Zealand are extremely limited, my current thinking is to replace the TU 2004 with an AL 250 G https://www.machineryhouse.co.nz/l149. Anything bigger will simply not fit in the shop.
AL250 G.jpg

The AL 250 is a 10" x 20" machine with 26mm spindle bore and a chuck diameter of 130 mm. It has a 1 hp motor, a geared head, powered cross slide, and weighs 185 kg. The compound slide is far easier to adjust and the lathe will be a perfect fit for the new space. I will probably retain the DRO from the old lathe. A QCTP will also be an essential mod but this time I ma planning on the European style Multi fix sourced from Create Tool in China Original Multifix--Create Tool - Toolholder expert ---- QCTP toolpost | CNC tool holder

There is a distinct paucity of reviews on the AL 250 but as already mentioned, affordable options are few and far between in the antipodes.
The machine is also out of stock and won't be back in shops until late Feb so at least I have some time to contemplate the wisdom of my current thinking. I look forward to any comment you may have.

Peter

I often ask myself when buying a new machine : Purpose or hobby ?
If that is the purpose and I need , I will consider adding functionality between the old and new machines. What does that new function look like? Do I use it regularly ? ...Or that new function I only use a few times a year??
. And...ect ..
If it's a hobby and if I have the space, money... then I will buy it to explore those new functions.

I haven't been active here for a few years but felt a pending addition to the workshop may benefit from some group discussion.

First up, some history. For over 25 years I have owned a wood turning lathe but haven't used it seriously for well over 7 years. My workshop co-exists in a 2 car garage and I am seriously short of space. Recent thoughts of upgrading my current metal lathe suggested that something would need to go. The obvious choice was the wood lathe. As you can see in the first photo, the wood lathe and the metal lathe shared the same space but it was not a happy co-existence.

View attachment 152985

View attachment 152986

As you can see, it is an Optimum TU 2004 200 mm x 300 mm (8" x 12") with a spindle bore of 21 mm, a chuck diameter of 80 mm, 0.6 Hp motor and variable speed between 150 - 2500 RPM. It weighs in at a beefy 75 kg.
I have upgraded to QCTP and have installed a DRO. I have no regrets with either of those mods. Given the obvious limitations it has performed well and reliably. However, my main complaint is the stupid compound slide arrangement. To adjust for Taper turning the compound needs to be wound completely back to gain access to the two locking screws. Any form of screw cutting requires changing the gearing. Apart from one brief attempt, I have not done any single point thread turning and taper turning requires a major investment in both patience and time.

In summary then, while I have been very happy with this lathe, it does have some major limitations if I want to progress into bigger and more complex turning. The good news is that I have now sold the wood lathe and I am currently working on a complete redesign of the space.
View attachment 152987

Virtually every major item in this workshop is on wheels. The basis of this new area is a 45" long tool cabinet that has been lifted off its wheels and lowered onto some adjustable floor blocks. I have added an 18 mm thick wooden shelf on top that is bolted to the cabinet and to the back wall. The cabinet top is now a respectable 36 mm thick and 1200 mm x 600 mm. The cabinet is now very rigid.

Noting that purchase options in New Zealand are extremely limited, my current thinking is to replace the TU 2004 with an AL 250 G https://www.machineryhouse.co.nz/l149. Anything bigger will simply not fit in the shop.
View attachment 152988
The AL 250 is a 10" x 20" machine with 26mm spindle bore and a chuck diameter of 130 mm. It has a 1 hp motor, a geared head, powered cross slide, and weighs 185 kg. The compound slide is far easier to adjust and the lathe will be a perfect fit for the new space. I will probably retain the DRO from the old lathe. A QCTP will also be an essential mod but this time I ma planning on the European style Multi fix sourced from Create Tool in China Original Multifix--Create Tool - Toolholder expert ---- QCTP toolpost | CNC tool holder

There is a distinct paucity of reviews on the AL 250 but as already mentioned, affordable options are few and far between in the antipodes.
The machine is also out of stock and won't be back in shops until late Feb so at least I have some time to contemplate the wisdom of my current thinking. I look forward to any comment you may have.

Peter
Looks great

Dave

I have a Grizzly 10-22 and like it very much. It has done everything I’ve asked of it, I built my Hodgson 9 cyl Radial on it and my G 0704 Grizzly bench top mill drill. I’ve had them for about 15 years.
Ron. aka ozzie46

Hi Ron
As Blondie hacks has noted there are multiple re-sellers of the ubiquitous 10-22 lathe. All probably made in the same factory but many to widely varying specs and tolerances. She has the PM1022 the Grizzly GO602 looks very similar but neither are available here in NZ.
The main difference with those two lathes and the ALG 250 is the Geared Head in the ALG250. I would be interested to know what you have to do on your lathe to set up for different thread pitches?

Getting a new lathe or mill is always exciting and fun, thanks for posting.

View attachment 152988

Peter
Looks like a solid choice. One thing Stefan mentioned in his recent Q&A video was that while he wanted a geared-head for his next lathe, he wanted the final drive to be via belts to minimize/eliminate gear train chatter at high speeds (he was OK with the back-gear being the final component for very low speeds).

Please keep us updated with your adventure!

View attachment 152985

View attachment 152986

View attachment 152987

View attachment 152988

Peter
I would use a Aloris type tool post AXA size it will fit most small lathes and if change lathe keep the tool post for next lathe.
My tool post I purchased in the the 1970's and have move to 6 different lathes since then great investment.

Dave

I would use a Aloris type tool post AXA size it will fit most small lathes and if change lathe keep the tool post for next lathe.
My tool post I purchased in the the 1970's and have move to 6 different lathes since then great investment.

Dave
Multi-Fix is easier to adjust to a range of repeatable angles; costs more than the Aloris style, but is a good investment and will fit the same (or greater) range of center heights as the Aloris.

Dave
Dave Aloris style was an option, but for the reasons given by ChazzC above my current planning is for the Multifix. However, my mind is in no way closed on this decision and I would welcome thoughts from folks who have used either style. The multiple repeatable angles of the Multifix is swaying my view at the moment. I have also seen multiple good reviews of the service and quality provided by Create Tools.

Multi-Fix is easier to adjust to a range of repeatable angles; costs more than the Aloris style, but is a good investment and will fit the same (or greater) range of center heights as the Aloris.
I did look at Multi-Fix back 1970's and like the heavy duty and size of Aloris. At time they where two on market . The KDK was the top of line. I think Multi-Fix was number three on market.

I still like the Multi-Fix too. It nice tool post. It is great for one kind work.

I got the Aloris when was single too helps.

Either one is life time investment and both work great.

Dave

Last edited:
Dave Aloris style was an option, but for the reasons given by ChazzC above my current planning is for the Multifix. However, my mind is in no way closed on this decision and I would welcome thoughts from folks who have used either style. The multiple repeatable angles of the Multifix is swaying my view at the moment. I have also seen multiple good reviews of the service and quality provided by Create Tools.
Both Aloris and Multifix are very good tool post. Either will do a great job.
The Aloris is heavier duty but Multifix is more flexible.

Dave

I did replace all AHCS to square head set screw
You do not have dig out chips the adjust the cutters.
92635A314p1-b01-digitall@2x_636852549758076709.png

Made both inch and metric.
https://www.mcmaster.com/92635A314/
Note McMaster Carr is not best price but great photos

Dave

Latest posts

Back