More med stuff

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hate to hear you have to go thru all this. I did for about 3 years and then got it in remission and now havent had anything for it for about 2 years now. I took a drug called Pomalyst as a maintenence drug for about 8 years then quit taking anything. So far so good. Thought I would tell you something positive anyway. Yes I have multiple myeloma too since 1960. Thirty years ago I would have just died. Medicine has come a long way. I am a saved christian and I had a good out look on all this as the doctor said it helps. Keep your chin up and keep them nurses laughing. Harold

Thanks I try to laugh every day. It’s not hard if you follow politics . It would be easy to get in my portable podium but I’m sill ll still laughing from the last news cast. I’d have never made it this far if I did as little and said as much as they do . Unfortunately it’s the path to wealth every one of them are multi millionaires but not happiness. I have my kitty and I’ve had a bunch of top notch dogs all seemed to have more sense than I do and taught me inner satisfaction .

Probably the greatest is when my two boys say thanks dad you made us

So far frustrating day there are at lest 3 posts that simply cut me off so sorry about the mess. This editor just seems to have a mind of its own

I blew out a knee trading big K 9 dogs years ago I’ve asked about fixing it but the doc says leave it the tendons and muscles are all wrecked too. He was amazed that I continued to play sports most of my life. I have a friend who just had a new knee installed he to now uses a cane . I won’t know for a couple weeks yet how the treatment is working. So far ok I guess . It seems to have taken much of my energy which is an issue or side effect the doc says that may improve down the road . I hope so I can see where the inactivity can drif into depression but it’s a mind set I YHINK as long as I can read and converse with guys like here it’s not bad. Too bad this spell check messes up posts one medication makes me hoarse so I sound terrible but that’s not translatable my kitty doesn’t mind she is looking for brushing and pets all the time. Byron
The orthopedic docs are some of the real tool users: drills, fixtures, etc. A long time ago I was at Computer Vision school for multi-axis cnc programing. 2 guys were there from a company in Warsaw Indiana and they also happened to be into World of Outlaws dirt track racing. Wild stuff. But they worked at a company that made artificial replacement joints. I was thinking, wow, that's pretty cool stuff to work on. So 25 years later, I am getting one of those joints. I asked the doc if the joint was made by xyz company in Warsaw Indiana. He said, well, yes, from Warsaw indiana, but from ABC company. He said they were an offshoot of the original company, employees left and started the second company and now they trade employees back and forth. Once the doc found out I was interested in the technology, he was happy to fill me in on the process for the few spare minutes he had. Very cool. But how in the world do you de-bone a ham and then put it back together so that it still works? Amazing!!
Lloyd

I know this is for home machinist and tool makers so I thought I’d describe what ice seen in the med field as most mechanical things have men made by mechanical engineers and ultimately in the shop.

So I get bad news bone cancer myeloma First sit the test a bone biopsy this is drilling a hole in the hip bone and extracting a core sample . Oh boy what’s this look like! Well is a ver miniature core drill or brutish hole saw. Precision beyond belief. The needle has a point like a very tiny hole saw teeth and all aster mild sedation the doc poke this into the top of hip bone gives a twist to sink it a bit deeper then inserts an even smaller hole saw to extract the core which looks terrible then he measures it to be sure it’s long enough for microscopic visual it ion some knobs of electron microscope that gives everything needed an gives a report . The whole process takes about 15 minutes then comes the treatment He says a shot or or infusion rather than radiation . Fine I got almost a100 page book to read up on proceedures and effects so we go to the infusion site no idea what happens heer here but lots of people getting them 2 mg is what it supposed to be well that doesn’t sound too bad the nurse brings a cart with all the stuff. Infusion means an iv bag . Turns out this is for hydration The only sweating I’ll be doing is the needle stings so the iv is in then I get the bad news I’ll be getting the shot in my belly yikes! Ok I’ve don these myself but the thing is 2-3” long I ask if it goes in all the way yep nearly now I’m really sweating good reason too that’s the biggest 2 mg I’ve ever seen . I tried counting the time but lost count 5 minutes or more I swear that needle came out my back when she was done I slid my hand behind me to see if it was wet . Nope it all in me some place I have admit that the thinnest needle I’ve ever seen. I was just hoping it didn’t bend on the way in . A credit to modern machine technology . Doing a little math in head means sh must have had a ver steady hand as ther was no needle guide. Probably a titanium alloy I haven’t received the bill yet I asked if I could have the remaining stuff but that’s against health rules I couldn’t even have the iv bag or hose . Turns out you can buy this stuff at local pharmacy or med supply house many Rc jet guys use iv bags for fuel tanks .
So the book says all kinds of nasty side effects . Then on the other hand nothing I’ve heard stuff like this before and I seem to fall on the other side but so far today I’m just infinitely hungry fortunately we just got groceries so we’ll stocked but wallet is empty sadly LOL

I WROTE A short RESONSE TO A FRIEND ON HOW A ROBOT MIGHT HAVE HANDLED THIS BUT doue to the recent artificial intelligence stuff on the news I’d put it up but probably get banned . Robot are supposed to follow Asimov 3 laws of robots my version was exactly opposite LOL. I may also write another of this treatment but again I’ll not be able to post it as I like this site above about all others I visit and I’d not like to get banned for wrong doing.

Byron
I think worst part was change my line of work in 2009.

The side effects can be bad . I did not get all the side effects. Typically you just get a few . Like I tell everyone {do not belive everthing on internet or books}. I read side effects and say {thank got did get that one. }.

I have never known any getting band because of talking about cancer

Dave

I think worst part was change my line of work in 2009.

The side effects can be bad . I did not get all the side effects. Typically you just get a few . Like I tell everyone {do not belive everthing on internet or books}. I read side effects and say {thank got did get that one. }.

I have never known any getting band because of talking about cancer

Dave
Unfortunately this robot had not been programmed to used medical terms but instead used street terms and language most not complimentary and some would take this as inappropriate. So I’ll leave it to imagination most get the idea . Of late the nurses and docs have been wonderful and caring I counted 40 chairs in the treatment room so it’s a busy place . Here is a radiation are too but thankfully I’m not headed that way . I was going to take a picture but I think that might not be appropriate . When the procedures are completed the nurse male or female says you are free to go. So I can simply walk out
. Last week a lady across from me had her service dog with her he is a Chesapeake retriever curly stif brown fur. It’s customary to ask before touching or petting service dogs so I asked if he would like some pets so she brought him over . He rested his head in my lap and looked up at me like “ you are going to be ok” and thanks for the pets friend . “. They were there again this week . She has a business type card so I’ll send her an email. Most of my dog training was law enforcement K 9 dogs. Most are friendly as they are working dogs but are ever on alert . Going into a medical facility with a detection dog was part of training . It actually was good because it gave good training for handlers watching the dogs sniff everywhere giving “ I found something” signs . And noting the signals . Service dogs are much more friendly and not on alert constantly. Both require extensive handler training. Neither bark or pull on leash or misbehave . But I find find it comforting to see and chat with service fog people.

Last week a lady across from me had her service dog with her he is a Chesapeake retriever curly stif brown fur. It’s customary to ask before touching or petting service dogs so I asked if he would like some pets so she brought him over . He rested his head in my lap and looked up at me like “ you are going to be ok” and thanks for the pets friend . “.
quote snipped for the part I really liked. 😍🙂

Thank you for sharing that with us. Dogs have good intuition.
Lloyd

Back