Too cold in the shop

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shred said:
I remember seeing one of those so-long-it-has-to-bend-in-the-middle city buses sliding down a hill in a V-configuration, plowing everything off to one side or the other back when I lived in Denver.

Happened in Pittsburgh too. Had one lose traction on the way up a hill and it came down broadside like a V-plow. Made a lot of scrap metal ... wonder if anyone was hunting scrap that day. Like the driver. ;D

Best regards,

Kludge

Cedge said:
It's probably only coincidence that it is also the season to watch for mad dogs and violent human behavior.

Isn't that mad dogs and Englishmen? :big: :big: :big:

BEst regards,

Kludge

Steamer
You'll be ok. You won't see that image unless you close your eyes....LOL

Steve

About 3 inches of snow here in Southern Ontario yesterday. Didn't stop me from cutting through 14 inches of ice (hand auger) and standing (I should really build a hut) in the snowfall and wind to get to the fish. Make the best of what you have. To bad we didn't catch much.

-Tom

as a sideline to the heat differential the folks here are getting .. meaning the US folks are copping -25 deg F

and the Aussies copping 40 deg C + heres a little education for all of us

in 1958 when the trainline in adelaide was expanded they used 4122 grade steel for the tracks

later on in the 70's they stated putting in a second track to better the service

these tracks where made of 1086 grade steel

yesterday in adelaide my former neighbour who is a fettler ( rail track layer) took this pic

4122 on the left 1086 on the right..

trackwarpage.jpg

guess theres a bit of difference in the expansion of the two grades

i also guess the folks from clarence park ( where pic was taken) will be driving to work for the rest of the week

take it easy hot or cold

extreames still stuff your day

cheers

jack

Jack,
It's odd that the track ahead of the wiggly part is straight as an arrow.

Perhaps the wiggly part was bedded poorly but the heat made it worse?

Kevin

Kevin,

That's because the tension was taken out at the wiggly part. It stayed in gauge though. :big:

Jack,

Must be they didn't have enough gap at the rail joints or is that welded rail?

Bernd

jack404 said:
4122 on the left 1086 on the right..

trackwarpage.jpg

guess theres a bit of difference in the expansion of the two grades
<snip>
jack

Naw, Jack. That's just where Maryak danced a little jig after drilling the hole wrong in his cylinder.

earl...

Guess I don't know - My own strength
smiley-taunt013.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Steve,

&#1057;&#1087;&#1072;&#1089;&#1080;&#1073;&#1086;.

Stay warm and we'll try and stay cool ::)

Best Regards
Bob

modern railway lines use welded joints to make one long rail and to allow for expansion in hot weather they are stretched when laid putting them under tension.That way as they heat up and expand they only reduce the amount of tension in the rails and do not buckle.I would imagine the difference in the two sets of track shown is due to the time difference that they were laid,the older ones not being stretched and the newer ones under tension rather than different coefficients of expansion of the steel grades.Also on some lines (especially high speed lines) the tracks use concrete sleepers that are a lot heavier than the old wooden ones and this will hold the rails straighter for longer before they kink.

best regards Steve C.

Hey Gang

I think that we need to put our collective heads together and build a very very large stirling engine. The hot side could be in Australia and the cold side located in Canada. Also, an engine that large should have a fair amount of power so should be able to run a large generator and help with the power needs of the world!

OK, I've started it, who's next?

Cheers :)

Don

Great idea Don but I think it has already been done.
They call it Pacific Ocean Tides.
All we need to do is place the generator in the perfect
position. ;)

Rick

I didn't think that electricity and water went together that well. Couldn't it just power a very large fan to blow all the cold air back up to Canada where it belongs, and if there was any left over it could just blow all the way up and over and down to our friends in Australia.
Rof} Rof} Rof}

Jack said:
I didn't think that electricity and water went together that well.

Actually, electricity and pure water get along quite well since it's an insulator. It's the impurities like thems as what's in ocean water that make things exciting.

Anyway, I think Australians would pay good money to get some nice fresh Canadian air blown their way. Ir Siberian air. Or something coolish.

Best regards,

Kludge

Can't say that I care all that much where it's from but a little cooler would be very nice.
wow.gif

Best Regards
Bob

I most serpently would be - 43°C here today, and not a lot cooler approaching 10 pm :(

Maryak and Tel,

tel said:
I most serpently would be - 43°C here today, and not a lot cooler approaching 10 pm :(

Send half of that 43C my way and we'll call it even! ;D

Okay, we've certainly got a lot of talent here and a more than adequate supply of liquid refreshment, so why can't we come up with an adequate (or better) heat exchanger so everyone's more happier? On the other hand, adjusting the earth's orbit a touch so it's not quite so lopsided might help too. I know that fooling with the orbital dynamics might have an adverse affect on a few things but we gotta keep our Aussie friends comfy, right? ;D

BEst regards,

Kludge

Latest posts

Back