Team build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sounds like things are going to start moving real soon. Are there any better prints of the plans? I was looking over the pdf I got from the web and it is really hard to make out some of the dimensions.

Ob boy this is going to be fun! ;D ;D ;D

I started modeling the engine last night. I have found a few questionable or missing dimensions. The first one is View "CC" of the bearing, does anyone know what the height is supposed to be? I have it in as 1-1/4". If everyone (mostly me) can be patient, I hope to have it finished this weekend. I also agree with the two threads.
Tim
P.S. I had no Idea how small this engine was till I started modeling.

Tin Falcon said:
For those of you that have not seen it, here is the link Rick's Build of Elmers open column.
Tin

Thanks for the plug Tin.

Mine ended up looking like this.
Open%20Column%20Finished%201.jpg

The shifter knob is actually a .177 air gun BB drill to fit the shifter rod.

Marv also did an impressive build of the Open Column with Reverse.
db_MARINE41.jpg

I feel I'm safe is saying either one of us will be more than happy to answer any questions
that may arise along the way.

Rick

I think this is a good choice for the team build and look forward to following the posts and pictures. Here are a few pics of my version of it.

OpenColumn1.jpg

OpenColumn2.jpg

OpenColumn4.jpg

Two questions? I drew the cylinder up @ 1-1/16" dia. with two turned down sections at 1/2" dia. It doesn't look correct. Also, on the crankshaft, is 1/2" stroke correct? It shows 1/4" from center to the #3-48 hole but it looks closer to the edge. Thanks for the help.
Tim

Tim

The major OD of the cylinder should be 11/16" (.687")

The stroke of the crank is 1/2"

Rick

Zuesrekning, cool!

Is that Solidworks? Can you export it to Rhino3D? I'd love to have that model.

This is a fine looking little engine. I think the group has chosen well for a first project.

I'm getting well ahead of myself, but at some point we should do a set of "steam accessories". We'll need a boiler, of course, but perhaps a few lineshaft miniature machine tools or a dynamo would be cool too.

Wouldn't that be a kick?

Cheers,

BW

Zuesrekning, nice job on the modeing. I wish I knew how to do that. I have down loaded some demo programs but I never really get time to really learn anything before it expires.

deere_x475guy said:
Zuesrekning, nice job on the modeing. I wish I knew how to do that. I have down loaded some demo programs but I never really get time to really learn anything before it expires.

Bob... give Alibre Express a try. The basic version is free. And for basic, it does a lot. It is also very very easy to learn.

Eric

Brass_Machine said:
Bob... give Alibre Express a try. The basic version is free. And for basic, it does a lot. It is also very very easy to learn.

Eric

Got it. Hated it. I made myself use it for about a month before giving up on it. I found Alibre extremely cumbersome and prefer Rhino3D by far.

zuesrekning, Rhino uses 3dm. It will also do IGES. There's a bunch of others, but it's probably easier for me to just draw it myself if you don't have either of those.

Best,

BW

BobWarfield said:
Got it. Hated it. I made myself use it for about a month before giving up on it. I found Alibre extremely cumbersome and prefer Rhino3D by far.

zuesrekning, Rhino uses 3dm. It will also do IGES. There's a bunch of others, but it's probably easier for me to just draw it myself if you don't have either of those.

Best,

BW

Wrong Bob, that message was for deere_x475guy... ;) I remember reading on your blog about your adventures with Alibre (I was going to send you an email about your cylinder's being faceted... 2 second fix). I have Rhino as well, I like Alibre much better. It was easier for me to learn. But, as with a lot of things in the machining world... there is more than one way to do something. What works well for one, may not work for someone else. ;D

Eric

Ok Eric I am downloading the express version right now and will give it a try. Plan on me bugging you if I have questions..))))) J/K.

Allright guys... Where are we at? Am I supposed to be building something?

Two things.... 1. As mentioned a couple of pages ago, maybe change the 3-48 threaded bits to 4-40? (Got a fair number of 4-40 taps that I haven't broken yet) and 2, I agree with zeusrekning, shouldn't I be building something? ;D

Joe

zeusrekning said:
Allright guys... Where are we at? Am I supposed to be building something?

Waiting on Tin...

But we have decided the engine, we have decided the time frame... now we need to hand out part assignments. So to give Tin a hand, I believe we should be vocal and volunteer or make a requests for the part we feel comfortable with.

So? Team... what part do you want to build?

Eric

Latest posts

Back