Team build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so far we have 6 members that have actually said count me in. That would be Bob ,Mike, Jaydacey, Wes, Tim , and Giles. And I would say it looks like Eric is interested. And I may as well throw some parts in the hat. So that looks like 8
So I would say there is enough interest to do this.
My thought is since this team build is new let's keep it simple.

Tim I like your Idea of show exposure. So what about this Idea??
Each team member machines multiple copies of his assigned part. And an extra. The team leader or assigned member would assemble the extra engine that would be displayed and raffled off at a Show such as Cabin fever. Proceeds to benefit the board. So each member of the team would end up with there own Team build engine and the board would get attention/advertising and benefit.
We need more Ideas for plans. IMHO it should be a simple but interesting air steam engine . and I for one think making a dozen or so copies of the same part is about the limit. I do not think any of us want to feel like we are having to run production quantity parts in our shop.
So if you want to participate answer the poll also lets see a fe more options for plans.

Tin

I'm in. Elmer's engines are all good. If it was me choosing, I have a special like for the Hula Hula, just 'cause its different. It looks very easy to make one. There's a movie of J. King's Hula here:

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=892.0

If we had "too many" who wanted to participate, can always hand out the cylinders to more than one person.

Cheers,

BW

I am in. HOWEVER... I will be off line for the next couple of days (well off and on) My wife is at the hospital and the baby is coming ;D ;D ;D

Eric

With something like the hula hula, if one person made both a piston and cylinder, some of the fit issues would be lessened.

There seems to be a bit of interest in those solenoid engines? How about one of those? They look fairly easy to build and there aren't to many tolerances that need to be held close. That and I'd like one:eek:)

Later, Wes

Ok guys:
Looking at the poll results it looks like we are going for a multiple build here.
I will add that my engines do get displayed and it is my intent that my copy of a team build engine would be included in my display and due credit given to the HMEM board and participating builders. So I think we have the bases covered in that department.
So in order to move forward I will post a poll to select a design and another for time frame of completion. I am keeping nominations for a design open at this time but if there are anymore Ideas get them in soon.
Here is the loose criteria . Something fairly simple but interesting. Plans available for free download so we all have access for evaluation and build info. IMHO a range of 3/8 to 3/4 bore is reasonable . Too small and we run into tight tolerance issues as well as tiny is harder to build in general. Too large and we eliminate the folks with small machines. Also the amount and therefore cost of materials and shipping parts to each other rises rapidly. All nominations must have a link so we can all see the plans.
A plan set with all the parts on one page and consisting of a dozen or so parts is good since it looks like the team will have 8-10 members.
I am including Poppin the flame licker in the poll .Even though the part count is around 24 many of the parts are simple. Some Team members may have multiple easy or small parts to make if that one is chosen.
It was my intent to leave the first poll open however it appears that the forum software allows for one poll per thread . So in that light I am closing the how many engines do we build poll and going on to select a design. I regret any inconvenience to anyone that did not get to vote on the first poll ,it appears we have a majority decision of building an engine for each member plus one for auction or raffle. 57% of the vote with 9 people voting.
I am suggesting a 3 month build time so engine parts would be completed by the end of June 2008 but we can discuss that later.

Regards
Tin

If not too late, I'd like to throw my name in the hat for the build team as well. Especially if there are small machine friendly parts... (even better if they are the ones with the +/- .5" tolerance :big:!). I'm voting for the open column, just 'cause I've wanted to build one one day anyway.

Cheers,
Joe

Joe your name is now in the Hat. So that brings the current team count to 9 . I will go back and make sure i am not missing someone. So far we have Bob , Mike , Jadecy, Wes, Tim, Giles , Jim, Eric and now Joe. If you said you wanted in and your name is not on this list let us know so it can be added.
IMHO we need to limit to each member building a dozen of each part.
Regards
Tin Falcon
AKA jim

Deer_x475 you are in #10
BTW what is your real name? first name only needed.
Tin Falcon
Aka Jim

Another thought:

It would be really cool if those who sign up post pix of how they go about making their particular part. This way others can participate vicariously, or even follow in our footsteps at a later date. I bet it makes for one heck of a neat thread if everyone was posting their pics to the same thread to show progress.

Best,

BW

I have to say, I'm LOVING this thread! ;D

Sadly, prior responsibilities would not allow the time for me to participate.

When this crazy idea of building a model machining community first started,
I wasn't sure it would even be recognized.

Now, watching something like this come together just BLOWS ME AWAY!

If any of you team builders have any difficulty in finding the stock to make your
specific part, please email me. I'll do what I can to see that you get it in a timely
manner.

Rick

BobWarfield said:
Another thought:

It would be really cool if those who sign up post pix of how they go about making their particular part. This way others can participate vicariously, or even follow in our footsteps at a later date. I bet it makes for one heck of a neat thread if everyone was posting their pics to the same thread to show progress.

Best,

BW

Bob I intend to do a pictorial of what ever I build....I better get busy and get this Webster finished..:)))

Ok great progress.
It has been decided to do a multiple build.
Hear is the team :
Bob Warfield/ BW
TatooMike/ Mike
Powder Keg / Wes
Jaydece
Zeustrekning / Tim
GilesM/ Giles
Brass_Machine / Eric
Tin Falcon / Jim
Joe_D / Joe
deere_475guy / Bob A
So Ten team members
It looks like we will have a plan set chosen soon.
Regards
Jim
PS I like the photo documentation and progress post idea.

I thinks the photo documentaion is one of the most important parts of this project. If each person documents most of the build we will wind up with a very complete step by step guide. It would also be easier than one person trying document as much by themselves.
Tim

Sorry to be thick, but where is the best place to see the proposed team build engines so as to make an informed decision as which to vote for?

I think it's a great idea, Good luck!

Al

Dick:
Are you saying you whant to be part of the team? We can sqeeze in one more!!
The links to the engine prints are posted amonnst the discusion.
Tin

Tin,

Include me out for this one please, too much going on as it is and possibly difficult logistically as I'm in the UK.

I (perhaps mistakenly) thought that what you are going to build was for the entire group to vote on rather than just the builders.

If it works well I'll perhaps be interested next time.

As I said good luck!

Latest posts

Back