Team build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gilessim said:
Wes, I agree with the blinging 'cause I want do do some too!

everyone else, it does look like the bearing block is the most complicated piece!, is it maybe asking too much for one person to make all 12?, I have a 1m x 3 x 2cm length of brass that I could send over if needed, but it's not quite wide enough, maybe the bearing could be made in 3 pieces?, silver soldered or bolted, anyway tomorrow I'll ask my metal guy here if he has some brass nearer size.

Giles

That part is a tricky devil and will cost more for the metal. I can see about making a couple. I would have to use my brothers mill. Its a 3hp 10"x50" Komet. I dont want to see one or Two members stuck with all the cost and work.

I will run by my brothers shop here in a few minutes and see about the price of some metal.

Wow lots of info flying here,
The price of brass is abit scary can you imagine if we scaled this up?? a one ft piece of 1 1/4 x 3/8 bar from Mcmaster Carr is about $30 . I see two problems with aluminum though the block needs to be made in two pieces. do not think ali can be soldered very well . also not much room for a sleeve. Giles if you look at the list I have Two people making bearing blocks you are right we do not want one person making all twelve. Do you guys think the bearing blocks need to be divided three ways so three guys make 4 each.

Here is what I see so far
Brass_Machine-Batting clean -up
Bob_Warfield - Brass fly wheels
Tattoo_Mike
Powder Keg - Columns 4-40 internal thread w/ bling
Jadecy Bearing blocks??
Zeusrekenining - 6 cylinder/ piston/ cylinder support
Gilesm - bases- plus wood sub base make column holes for 4-40 CS
Tin Falcon -reversing valve
Joe D - 6 bearing blocks
Deer-x475guy

I agree on the bling. I thought about doing bearing blocks if no one else wanted to. I could run them on the CNC. My only concern is the small tapped holes. That will be new to me. I've never tapped below a #10. How about I volunteer for piston / cylinder assembiles?
Tim

The CNC mill I run at work is to old to tap parts on. But I do drill all the holes. It's no big deal to run a tap through them after all the mill work is done. Just a thought?

Wes

I will wait until everyone has selected their parts and take what is left over ;D so I am up for anything.

Eric

I thought about batting clean-up . But if we all wait and see ??? dibs on the reversing valve.
Tin

Tin,

I can do six of the bearings in brass. I don't see any reason to make them in two pieces. If someone else would really like to do them I'm flexible. Just tell me what to make and that is what I will make.

Tin:

My brass stock is .5" so the bearings I'm doing will be one piece as well. One question: could somebody post the key to the lettered call-outs on the plans? I don't have a copy of the book (yet) so I've no idea what's what.

Thanks, Joe

Joe D & jadecy :
making in one piece would be fine. I kept looking at the print thinking the dog leg in the block would be a problem but one piece should be fine. Also it looks like mike or wes would be willing to help w the bbs if you guys want to split them 3 ways and do 4 each. Wre all want this to be fun and burden no one.
Thank you gents for taking on the bearing blocks.

The legend can be found here
Eric :
My original thought was include the support in the cylinder assembly cylinder/ piston/ cylinder supports. but you are co- captain and I am flexible. Do you feel up to doing six sets of the cylinder assembly??
Let me know.
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
Eric :
My original thought was include the support in the cylinder assembly cylinder/ piston/ cylinder supports. but you are co- captain and I am flexible. Do you feel up to doing six sets of the cylinder assembly??
Let me know.
Tin

Good idea. Not sure my skills are up to it... I was thinking of the crankshaft/crank disk. I know Mike wanted to do something that was lathe heavy... maybe the piston/cylinder would be better suited for him?

Eric

Has a new thread been started? I remember something about a seperate thread somewhere earlier. I just don't want to miss anything.

It looks like we've posted quite a bit for our captains to digest. I think I'll just observe for a while and wait for direction. ;D

Ok, I admit it. I totally missed the team build section. Disregard this message :big:

I wanted to say, does anyone have any preferences for metal for the base? ie. brass or aluminum?, I have both but my brass is 6mm ,0.35mm under 1/4", I can always get some more brass from a friend (probably free!)but it would be 7 or 8 mm ,personally I think brass would be better and I have no problems taking it down to 1/4", any thoughts??, considering that there is going to be a wooden sub-base,

Giles

Giles as long as you put the holes in the right place and the holes are not too close to the edge a little flexibility is in order. IMHO either 6 or 7 mm would work fine . I do not think anyone will complain about a brass base if that is what you want to do. It looks like we are ending up with an all brass or nearly all brass engine.
Convention dictates tolerance on fractional measurements to be +- 1/64 or approx +- .015. . but I have made engine parts 1/4" to 1/2 " inch big on non critical dimensions with no adverse effects.
Also note I changed the holes marked to tap 3-48 to be 4-40 through holes countersunk on the bottom of the base.
Tin

Brass_Machine said:
Good idea. Not sure my skills are up to it... I was thinking of the crankshaft/crank disk. I know Mike wanted to do something that was lathe heavy... maybe the piston/cylinder would be better suited for him?

Eric

Anything round is cool with me. At my brothers shop they are getting busy but im sure they will let me use a mill after hours

Mike I have the work assignments and a list of unassigned parts in a sticky post titled TB assignments. Let me know what you want to do and I will add it to/update the list.

here is a list of the unassigned parts:
Piston /Cylinder/flange/Wrist pin (6)

con rod
crank disk
Crank shaft

Piping w flange
steam connector /screws
Stud for reversing valve. Print shows 3-48

We have three builders not commited to parts
You(TatooMike68)
Brass_Machine
Deerx475 guy

Respectfully
tin

Tin Falcon said:
Mike I have the work assignments and a list of unassigned parts in a sticky post titled TB assignments. Let me know what you want to do and I will add it to/update the list.

here is a list of the unassigned parts:
Piston /Cylinder/flange/Wrist pin (6)

con rod
crank disk
Crank shaft

Piping w flange
steam connector /screws
Stud for reversing valve. Print shows 3-48

We have three builders not commited to parts
You(TatooMike68)
Brass_Machine
Deerx475 guy