Hello from Pennsylvania

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jschaumburg

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I’m Jake from central Pennsylvania. Having just graduated from college I’ve found myself with some spare time to work on projects for fun, and started scrolling through the folder I had compiled titled “Machine Shop Projects”. I came across a few air engines that seemed particularly interesting to build, as they involved several moving parts and precise fits.

With a need for new designs that would truly challenge my skills, I decided that I’d look further into small engines and found David Kerzel’s work that was published to the Florida Association of Model Engineers forum. I decided to page through the site’s gallery in search of any models that had plans or blueprints attached to them, doubling my collection of future projects. Discovering the site’s inactivity, I looked further, going off of the projects I had found and searching for further information or variations of projects.

It was then I found this forum after looking for more information on Bob Shores’ Pee Wee V4 engine. After I finish the projects I have lined up and planned, I’ll probably start work on one if I can find the plans. I recall the name Dirk Tollenaar coming up in relation to the engine.

My experience in machining is limited to a 2 year machining degree with a heavy focus on practical skills and shop time. I also learned both 2D and 3D CAD/CAM skills, and I’ve picked up some skill in reverse engineering parts of larger mechanisms.

My current project is the Kerzel Modular Engine 1, version 2. My machine access is sort of limited at the moment to whatever I don’t have set up after I clock out, as I have been using the machines at work after hours with the shop owner’s permission. It’s slow going but it beats trying to set up a lathe without a garage to do it in.

Anyway, thanks y’all, I’m glad I found a group of builders with similar interests to myself.

Hi everybody, I’m Jake from central Pennsylvania. Having just graduated from college I’ve found myself with some spare time to work on projects for fun, and started scrolling through the folder I had compiled titled “Machine Shop Projects”. I came across a few air engines that seemed particularly interesting to build, as they involved several moving parts and precise fits.

With a need for new designs that would truly challenge my skills, I decided that I’d look further into small engines and found David Kerzel’s work that was published to the Florida Association of Model Engineers forum. I decided to page through the site’s gallery in search of any models that had plans or blueprints attached to them, doubling my collection of future projects. Discovering the site’s inactivity, I looked further, going off of the projects I had found and searching for further information or variations of projects.

It was then I found this forum after looking for more information on Bob Shores’ Pee Wee V4 engine. After I finish the projects I have lined up and planned, I’ll probably start work on one if I can find the plans. I recall the name Dirk Tollenaar coming up in relation to the engine.

My experience in machining is limited to a 2 year machining degree with a heavy focus on practical skills and shop time. I also learned both 2D and 3D CAD/CAM skills, and I’ve picked up some skill in reverse engineering parts of larger mechanisms.

My current project is the Kerzel Modular Engine 1, version 2. My machine access is sort of limited at the moment to whatever I don’t have set up after I clock out, as I have been using the machines at work after hours with the shop owner’s permission. It’s slow going but it beats trying to set up a lathe without a garage to do it in.

Anyway, thanks y’all, I’m glad I found a group of builders with similar interests to myself.
Welcome to the group

Dave

Welcome Jake, glad to have you.

There is both width and depth of talent here, ie: folks who have build some very complex engines, and a wide variety of methods used to build engines, anywhere from foundry work, to casting kits, to some very sophisticated bar stock engines that look identical to casting kits.

Pick your favorite engine and method, and lets get started.

Your technical background will be a great asset in the hobby/engine world.

Pat J.

Last edited:
There are a number, just don't seem to be a lot around me. Maybe we can meet up at Cabin Fever next year: a lot of models on display, and also tools and some machines.
Sounds like a good idea, one of my instructors mentioned Cabin Fever last year but I had a scheduling conflict, I’m interested to see what all the excitement is about.

Latest posts

Back