Team build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brass_Machine

Reaction score
I think that is a great idea Giles.

Some others that have discussed:

1) Team design - a weekend engine maybe?

2) Team build - an engine is picked, people build 1 piece and send it a designated 'builder', assembled. Then maybe sell it on Ebay and donate proceeds either to a charity or to the running of this site.

Eric

The idea of a team built engine is attractive - working accurately to drawings without the luxury of being able to fit the parts together - Almost like Industry -

Design in UK (OK I am British), Manufacture in India, eastern Europe and China, Sell in USA.

But who would own it after? Donate to a museum?

Rick,
The team built idea is a non starter if there is no interaction between the fitting of parts between members, unless the components can be made to zero tolerances.
Imagine a cylinder being made with 0.002" +- tolerance, and a piston being made to the same tolerances by someone else. High on one, low on another could mean a 0.004" interferance or the opposite dimension could result in a very sloppy fit.
Many parts have to be made for interaction with a close fitting other part.

Giles,

How many to be made in a weekend?

John

John, I didn't say that it had to be done in a weekend, no time limit! and I agree with you about the team build thing, that could be problematic , we would only need someone who wouldn't participate ,to make up a list of materials and off we go!

Giles

Rick and John, a couple of principles of the team build:

- First, each person builds enough copies of their parts so that everyone winds up with all the parts needed to assemble their own engine. We wouldn't just build enough for one engine. I have seen cases where additional engines got built too and then auctioned off to provide funds for charity or the club to use.

- RE precision, you have three choices:

- Keep parts that must fit precisely together (i.e. cylinder and piston) are made by the same guy.

- Build to sufficient tolerance. John, it's never zero tolerance, but it may be less than a thousandth sometimes. Or maybe not.

- Build to less than sufficient tolerance and then fine tune immediately before assembly with an additional step.

Making this all work out is part of the fun of a team build! Having to make more than one part means you can get good at your part, or even build some special purpose fixturing to increase your standards and productivity.

Note that lots of things could be built this way. For example, if everyone suddenly wanted a KMG clone 2" x 72" belt grinder, or a Quorn Cutter. Probably best to try it on something simpler to start though!

Another thought is that different folks will have different strengths and weaknesses that ought to be factored into their assignments. This is based on their skills, interests, and available machinery. Someone with a CNC mill or lathe can do things others can't. Someone may have an anodizing rig, so that everyone need not have one.

I'd love to see us do a team build of something fun. Count me in! Someone with a good design ought to coordinate. Lots of guys here with plans. We need a volunteer.

Cheers,

BW

Great idea Bob.

You said "Build to less than sufficient tolerance and then fine tune immediately before assembly with an additional step."

At work we called this "fit in assmenly" The tolerances that Bogs mentioned wouldn't be a problem to work to. For example a piston would be made to a size of .500" +.005 -.000. The cylinder bore would be made to .500" +/-.002. When the piston arrives at the assmebly point it would be trimmed to fit the bore.

I'd love to be included in this but have that major build to finish: "The House". And the wife isn't letting me forget about it. :(

Regards,
Bernd

Hmmm. That was very jarring. Did we really need to split the thread?

Whatever.

BW

If we are going to do this, and I think we should, a new forum maybe called "Group Builds" or "Board Projects". "Board Projects" is probably better that way it can include other things such as Giles idea of a challenge.

Eric

I'm in. If the engine needs a cast base let me know:eek:) What kind of engine do we want to build? I think the first one should be fairly simple?

Wes

Powder keg said:
I'm in. If the engine needs a cast base let me know:eek:) What kind of engine do we want to build? I think the first one should be fairly simple?

Wes

Absolutely simple at first. I am thinking maybe a steamer? That way we are not dealing with carbs and ignition at first. Maybe one of Elmers?

Eric

Brass_Machine said:
If we are going to do this, and I think we should, a new forum maybe called "Group Builds" or "Board Projects". "Board Projects" is probably better that way it can include other things such as Giles idea of a challenge.

Eric

Eric if we do what we say we are going to do and build a running engine at that point I will be happy to add a board, till then a sticky thread or two in the "A Work In Progress" will work. :0

I think we have things covered and dont want to add too many boards , if two board serve the same porpose we will just merge the boards later.

See what Rake60 and the others think of that but thanks for the idea. I will keep it in mind.

As far as plans how about Elmers Scottythere are about a dozen parts and it is two pages one of the plans and one describing the build. The smallest fastener is 2-56. the bore is 3/8. IMHO I would not want to see smaller than this for a team build.The engine is fairly small and would not take a lot of material.
It is a little more interesting that a wobbler but do not think too complex. The fly wheel is spokeless but could be dressed up if desired.
As far as a new sub- forum I agree with Mike lets see if this Idea can be put together and we can get 'er flying before we build a hangar.
Bob :
Did not mean to startle you but believe the team build and the design challenge are both good viable ideas. They are also different enough that each deserves individual attention. Having both tangled together in the same thread IMHO would get confusing.

Tin

I'd like to be included as a "part maker". I will try to keep an eye on the thread.

Hmmm. That one is pretty neat too.

So, should we set this up? Pick a few engines and vote on it? Get a list of builders?

Eric

Hi guys,

If you haven't heard about this one, there's already an ambitous team build underway. Here's the link:

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/HowellV4.htm

I didn't participate in the last one, I picked some "easy" parts to do so I'm not really sure how they deal with tolerances.

Dave

Ok. So who is in? I would like to put together a list of people who would like to be involved in this. After that, then we need to determine a few things. Some of those things:

1) choose an engine.
2) decide if we only build 1 engine, then sell/donate for a charity OR make enough parts for everyone to have their own.
3) materials/skills etc...

so YOU in???

Eric

I'm in. I would suggest after the team build putting the engine in custody of one of the senior members who frequents model or model engine shows. Let this member display the engine as free advertising for HMEM. Just an idea to build upon. But I'm up for any CNC millied parts.
Tim

I'm in too, but maybe for the more artistic bits ,like a base or other display stuff, my machining is pretty good but I don't have the experience of most of you guys!, I'm in from this side of the pond anyway!

Giles

Latest posts

Back