Team build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tattoomike68 said:
I would like to make the flywheels, I can make those easy, maybe the piping and flange parts too.

Way back in post #58 I volunteered for the flywheels.

BW

Build member's,

I PMed Tin about the plans. I scanned the book and put the prints on my web site, but not in public view. You'll need the url to find them. I'm awaiting for word from Tin on weather he wants to use them. I read were somebody said that the pdf version were hard to read so I thought I'd help out with better scans of the plans. I don't know if this is breaking a copy right law or not.

Regards,
Bernd

Sounds good Bernd , I dont care for the .pdf format myself. I dont think there will be any copyright issues, we are not selling them it sould be fine as long as they are public domain.

Let one of us know where to get the scans and we can e-mail copies to all the team.

FYI, I drew up a preliminary parts list:

PartsList.jpg

Since Mike and I were both approaching the parts from the standpoint of wanting a lathe part, I have note what machines would be required for each part. I've also grouped some parts, e.g. cylinder and piston, so that they can be made by the same person.

We should probably try to close on what the parts list is pretty soon.

I've also started a page on my web site to document my progress:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCRevOpenCol.htm

Not much there yet.

Best,

BW

Personally I'd like to be assigned a part. If someone gets a part they don't feel comfortable making we can do some trading amongst the group. I'll leave it to Tin to make the call.

Meanwhile I will sit here patiently and wait for the word. ;D

I will make sure eveyone gets the link to the scanned files.
I figure folks can pick there part(S)in order of sign up.
That would be
Brass_Machine
Bob_Warfield
Tattoo_Mike
Powder Keg
Jadecy
Zeusrekenining
Gilesm
Tin Falcon
Joe D
Deer-x475guy

Here is the list of parts

We will need 12 ea of most parts*
Base
Bearing (6)
Bearing (6)
Piston /Cylinder/flange/Wrist pin (6)
piston /Cyninder flange/Wristpin (6)
Reversing valve ASSY
con rod
crank disk
Crank shaft
Column 4 per engine(WE may want to make thhs a female 4-40 from 3/16)
Fly wheel
Piping w flange
steam connector /screw
Notice I did put the bearing and the cylinder assembly twice that was on purpose.
Also Brass_machine is officialy co-captain.
Sorry I drug my feet a little have been a little under the weaterand busy . doing this post on lunch break @work.

BTW we have 10 builders so if we do 12 sets* of parts we will have one for show/musseum one for auction/raffle and one per team member
Tin
Bob Thanks for the list. I thought of a random drwing but i know some guys prefer mill work and others lathe. Also the reversing valve is a mill /lathe part.
Any questions comments let me know.

I am excited on how things are coming here. I've been down with the flue for the last few days. I'd like to do the columns if possible. I think a internal would be better, but it makes no difference to me. Let me know:eek:)

Wes

Powder keg said:
I am excited on how things are coming here. I've been down with the flue for the last few days. I'd like to do the columns if possible. I think a internal would be better, but it makes no difference to me. Let me know:eek:)

Wes

I think there are a couple of changes that shout be made in addition. Some of the thread sizes (as previously mentioned) and maybe the bearing blocks?? Making them out of brass is going to get expensive for whoever makes them. Maybe change the design to make them out of aluminum and bore the holes to take bronze bearings?

Thoughts?

Eric

Brass_Machine said:
I think there are a couple of changes that shout be made in addition. Some of the thread sizes (as previously mentioned) and maybe the bearing blocks?? Making them out of brass is going to get expensive for whoever makes them. Maybe change the design to make them out of aluminum and bore the holes to take bronze bearings?

Thoughts?

Eric

Darn right, no need to go broke building them.

From what I have seen of the plans I would be better off building the...

con rod
crank disk
Crank shaft

And assemble them.

Well, over here in Italy I do happen to have 3-48 taps and dies but they're the biggest ones I have, otherwise I need to get them sent over as I have BA or metric, as I said before I'd like to make the metal base and a wooden base but whatever my designated part is, I'd still like to make wooden bases, one as I mentioned to be inlaid with the HMEM logo in brass or wood!

Giles

I checked speedy metals and enough brass for 6 bearings would be approx $45. I need to look at the drawings a little closer but I think I'd like to make 6 of the bearing blocks.

If I get to build the columns what do you guys think of Bling? I could dress them up and polish them so they don't look so plain. I'm thinking of a taper from each end to the middle with a decoration turned there also? I think we should have a little freedom here? As long as it doesn't mess with critical tolerances.

Later, Wes

Jadecy said:
I checked speedy metals and enough brass for 6 bearings would be approx $45. I need to look at the drawings a little closer but I think I'd like to make 6 of the bearing blocks.

Dont blow your cash till we decide on aluminum or brass. No need to go hungry now. ;D
That thing looks like a tricky little devil, no doubt there is some work in that one.
brassbearing.jpg

Powder keg said:
If I get to build the columns what do you guys think of Bling? I could dress them up and polish them so they don't look so plain. I'm thinking of a taper from each end to the middle with a decoration turned there also? I think we should have a little freedom here? As long as it doesn't mess with critical tolerances.

Later, Wes

yes make them look nice.

FWIW, I think I already have enough brass in stock to do the flywheels in brass if that's what we want. Let's make sure we get the right pieces to contrast well with one another.

Cheers,

BW

Wes, I agree with the blinging 'cause I want do do some too!

everyone else, it does look like the bearing block is the most complicated piece!, is it maybe asking too much for one person to make all 12?, I have a 1m x 3 x 2cm length of brass that I could send over if needed, but it's not quite wide enough, maybe the bearing could be made in 3 pieces?, silver soldered or bolted, anyway tomorrow I'll ask my metal guy here if he has some brass nearer size.

Giles

I've got enough brass on hand to do 3 of the bearings, happy to use it up for this! Will do the valves too if nobody else wants them.

Joe

Hi again, went in the shop and pulled the piece of brass out and measured it, I've actually got enough on hand for SIX. Dang, guess I just volunteered?

Joe

Latest posts

Back