Small V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have some inquires about how to set the timing for the cam and ignition. I made this video to show how I go about it. The video is really bad as I was having a hard time working on the engine and filming at the same time. I hope it will help some of you who asked about it.

While watching the video I noticed that when the wheel slipped out of my hand I only rotated the wheel 99 degrees and not 109. While you guy's are watching this thing I'll be out in the garage doing it all over again.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0EdqCtvhy4[/ame]

Solid gold, Steve!
Timing them is something that rarely gets talked about, but is critically important and can drive those of us less-burdened-with-experience nuts. The video is nominated for an AA.

Mosey said:
Solid gold, Steve!
Timing them is something that rarely gets talked about, but is critically important and can drive those of us less-burdened-with-experience nuts. The video is nominated for an AA.

I'm glad! It's one of those things that takes hours to explain or 20 minutes to show you. You should know also that the 109 degrees could change depending on the cam specs but that is a good number for a cam with 110 degrees lobe seperation.

I got rained out at work today so I took a few hours in the garage. I guess this would be the official kickoff of the Version 2, Small V8. It is the same engine with a roots blower. I would guess this one will go a bit faster than the first but the way work is I don't know if I'll get back in the garage this month, or next month.

My friend Ron wants to bend the tubing in his new bender for the zoomies so i made the flanges today. The last time I made them I drilled and reamed the holes for the pipes. That didn't work well in .063 thick plate so this time I milled the holes .010 smaller and then reamed them to 5/16. Still not perfect bit I am alot happier doing them this way.

DSCN2263s-2.jpg

I have started on the modular crankshaft. I made a few changes to the way I am making them. I turned one end of each piece and then instead of messing with the 4 jaw chuck I used collets to machine the back sides. I should comeout with less run out.

I also bought this gizmo that attaches to the spindle of the mill and holds an indicator. I'm going to try that when locating the center of the pieces to mill the squares and flats.

DSCN2265s-2.jpg

DSCN2267s.jpg

Looks like a nice start, I am quite interested in seeing how this turns out. I keep mulling over a dedicated crankshaft cutting machine....

Steve,
Have you seen this method? Snag is you do need a big chuck to hold the fixture. The reason the picture uses 180 opposed crankpins, is that I drew it up for the Whittle V8 crank.

Crank CAM.jpg

Well here we go again. The first piece is scrap. I cant seem to figure out a way to lock the piece into the fixture so it won't come loose. I need to redo my fixture so it squeezes the od of the crankshaft piece. Maybe I should just go to KBC and buy that big bore lathe that keeps calling my name every time I go in there.

I'm thinking about using a screw to hold the crank pieces in the fixture but then I would have to put threads into the pieces and it would make them weak.

I have some thinking to do. I'll do my normal "move on to something else" until something hits me.

Sorry about the false alarm.

Persistance my friend....you know what that is.

You'll get it Master Steve....I know it!

Dave

Oh I got nothin but faith in my Bubba!

git r done Bubba!

Dave

Well here's the deal. I decided to try to cut a recess in the fixture so only the outer most part of the largest disk would make contact with the fixture. After the cut the piece was worse rocking all over the place. I then started to re-cut all the diameter and found that one of the holes was about .006 to shallow. The shaft before the square end was bottoming out before the large disk was contacting the fixture fully. That explains why the previous attempts were fruitless. After fixing the flaws I got 3 good ones in a row.

DSCN2273s-2.jpg

DSCN2276s.jpg

Excellent! I've pondered doing a multi throw modular because it would give you the chance to use ball or roller bearings....I'm watching!

Dave

Latest posts

Back