Small V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Steve,
Maybe I missed something but what about the front and rear mains?
George

gbritnell said:
Hi Steve,
Maybe I missed something but what about the front and rear mains?
George

The front and rear mains are ball bearings. The oil pan acts as the front and rear caps. That means I need to get the pockets and oil pan bolt pattern in the bottom of the block. Then the crank and cam bores are done with the oil pan bolted on.

This is beyond amazing.

I need a box of tissues. I'm going to go sit in the corner and cry now. :'(

I managed to get the bolt pattern in to bolt up the oil pan.

DSCN2201s.jpg

Then the pockets were cut to clearance the crankshaft.

DSCN2204s.jpg

Now the oil pan is on so i can bore the crankshaft and camshaft tunnels and finish all the pockets for the timing gears, basically the front and rear of the block.

DSCN2207s.jpg

Then I wanted to see what it was going to look like so i used a few small drill bits to hold the heads on

DSCN2206s.jpg

Steve, you have an issue to answer mate..... there is no way my skills are ready for this style of project... yet I WANT ONE....... so... I have to wait and bide my time.... you are to blame for this... in fact I was able to control my urges until you posted the pic of the block with the heads held in place with drill bits...... gorgeous.... :eek:

Now im done... Ill probably make a mock up that looks ok until I develop the skills that allow me to complete such an engine....

Hell I have along list of 'to do' projects as it is.. Id better stop reading this forum.... yet how can I learn to do the job?....

Mate looks bloody beautiful.... really does... cheers, Im watching you... (here goes another song...)..watching everything you do...and I just cant help but feeling that someone.......................................

Artie... :mad: :mad: :mad:

P.s. Ive saved a pic of the engine to my desktop..to remind me what a (talented) mongrel you are...... :D ;D :D

stevehuckss396 said:
Better yet you could buy some metal and make one just like it.

It's the scale that's got me. I spent thirty years building and machining engines very much like this. From Mopar 440's to Cummins 855's. The big difference was when I was done, they weighed in at 500+ pounds. Not grams. Excellent work. Looking forward to seeing and hearing it run. I don't suppose you've got a little mini-dyno for a run-in... :big:

Great progress Steve.

It is looking pretty sweet, and small too :eek:

CherokeeJ said:
*** I don't suppose you've got a little mini-dyno for a run-in... :big:

Yea, go ahead, I dare you Steve! Cut it you sissy! ;D

Bob

Artie said:
there is no way my skills are ready for this style of project... yet I WANT ONE.......
Ill probably make a mock up that looks ok until I develop the skills that allow me to complete such an engine....
yet how can I learn to do the job?....

Thanks Artie!! Don't assume you don't have the skills until you have tried a few times. I didn't know I could do it until I built the Peewee V4. I just jumped in with both feet. Don't sell yourself short. In my case I didn't have the tools. Every time I turn around I need something else. I always buy good quality cutters and bits. The rest seems to go well, but not always.

Just realized that my heads are no good. The water passage is wrong and will leak. I changed it on the drawings so the next guy is all set. I think with some epoxy, i can save the day.

Cheers!!

CherokeeJ said:
It's the scale that's got me. I don't suppose you've got a little mini-dyno for a run-in... :big:

No I don't but there was a guy at NAMES in 2009 that had a complete dyno cell for mini engines. It was in a box about 3 foot wide and 2 feet high. It was awesome. Wonder if he would let me borrow it.

stevehuckss396 said:
*** I still think of that day. I was going to make up a sign and hang it on the wall. "CUT IT YOU SISSY". That still cracks me up!!

Yea, me too, but after shaving a wisker too much off my crank I wanted to hang a similar sign around my neck: "the #@%&* who cut it!"

Your V8 is looking great!

Bob Farr said:
Yea, me too, but after shaving a wisker too much off my crank I wanted to hang a similar sign around my neck: "the #@%&* who cut it!"

I'm sure if you ask around, everybody has a box full of boo boo's. Just have to shake it off and get back at it and usually the second one is nicer and takes less time.

stevehuckss396 said:
I changed it on the drawings so the next guy is all set.

Don't tease us, Steve!

This little engine looks like it will be a beauty. Hope you sort out the water passage issue easily.

Latest posts

Back