Small V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to have an oops now and then to keep us from having too great an inferiority complex. ::)

FWIW, you could fix the tubes to the fins with green loctite, which holds up to 400+ degrees.

Excellent work.

kvom said:
You have to have an oops now and then to keep us from having too great an inferiority complex. ::)

FWIW, you could fix the tubes to the fins with green loctite, which holds up to 400+ degrees.

Excellent work.

After the tubes are in I have to solder the tanks on. I might hit that temp so I really need to solder the tubes in with a hotter solder than what I will use for the tanks.

Yesterday = bad!!

I came home from work today ready to start on the fittings for the radiator. Chucked up a piece of round, looked over at the tanks, unchucked the round, walked over and tossed the tanks in the trash. I couldn't stand the sight of those giant holes in the side.

Spent the day making 4 new tanks.

DSCN1985s.jpg

DSCN1987s.jpg

I'll do fittings maybe thursday

Still following along here I admire your dedication to detail :bow:

stevehuckss396 said:
Thank you!!

I made all my tank fittings for the radiator. Will have to wait to assemble. I bought a torch but have not had a chance to get the bottles filled.
I need my argon bottle recerted, know of any place open on Saturdays? 20 years old and only filled about 5 times, I would use it a lot more if it was a TIG...

hi Steve, I really admire your work.
I have a question on your radiator. are you soldering the fins only to the last tubes?
or is every tube soldered to each fin.

looking forward to your response and more updates :)

Speedy said:
hi Steve, I really admire your work.
I have a question on your radiator. are you soldering the fins only to the last tubes?
or is every tube soldered to each fin.

looking forward to your response and more updates :)

I just spot them to the 2 outer most tubes. That keeps them from moving around. If you tack them to every tube there would be an increase in cooling but I doubt it would make much of a difference.

I'm going to stop after work and see if i can get my tanks filled and maybe get the core done this week.

Thanks!!!

Hi Steve,

As always, I'm enjoying your build thread.

Did you make or buy valve springs for the V8s? I looked through your thread, but must have missed it.

Thanks.

Chuck Kuhn

kuhncw said:
Hi Steve,

As always, I'm enjoying your build thread.

Did you make or buy valve springs for the V8s? I looked through your thread, but must have missed it.

Thanks.

Chuck Kuhn

I bought them. They are cheap and I had enough to do without learning how to make springs.

Will I see you in Zanesville?

Hi Steve,

Buying the valve springs makes sense to me.

I should have asked in the previous post, but where did you buy the springs?

Zanesville is on my list for October. I always enjoy it.

Regards,

Chuck Kuhn

kuhncw said:
Hi Steve,

Buying the valve springs makes sense to me.

I should have asked in the previous post, but where did you buy the springs?

Zanesville is on my list for October. I always enjoy it.

Regards,

Chuck Kuhn

Best price was Grainger and they are close to the house so no shipping.

Greetings, in regards to soldering your radiator. Here is a trick I have used with a complex assembly such as yours. I have a old electric hot plate that I place a thin sheet of aluminum on. I pre-flux all the joints and seams and place the assembly on the hot plate. Depending on the size of the assembly will dictate the heating time. Anyway, the idea is the hot plate brings the assembly up to an even temperature throughout. No hot spots from a torch and certainly no charred flux that may cause the solder not to adhere in those difficult to reach places. The solder I use is Eutectic 157. It is a lead base solder with a liquid flux. It works extremely well with brass and copper and soldering dissimilar metals such as brass and stainless steel. Just throwing in my two cents worth.

Clever work on your radiater.
You got a real nice build going there, with this engine.

Keep up the great work Thm:

Hey everybody.

I found a few minutes today and worked on the radiator. The oxy/acy is alot hotter than the mapp gas. Took me a while to get used to the extra heat. I used the silver solder to install the fittings into the tanks. Then the end plates were soldered onto the tubes on both ends of the core. The fins were soldered onto the 2 outer most tubes.

DSCN1999s.jpg

After all that the fins were evened up on the belt sander and the tubes were milled down in the mill using a 1/8 inch endmill and taking very light cuts.

DSCN2001s.jpg

If you purchased the plans you are probably wondering why the tanks have so many pockets. The second pocket is the pocket that the end plate sits in. The first pocket forms a reservoir for the solder to bead into.

DSCN2006s.jpg

The tanks are both installed the same way.

DSCN2004s.jpg

Then the top and bottom channels are made and soldered to the tanks on the ends.

DSCN2009s.jpg

Then I sand blasted the entire thing to clean it up. Now I need to make the mounting posts and clips.

DSCN2015s.jpg

Beautiful radiator!Are you going to add a puke tube?
Crab

Back