Small V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats like McMaster 76965A64 at $56/oz. Is there any special reason to choose the non-cadmium version?

gbritnell said:
If you go to the Harris site at the following link there is a box at the top that asks what types of metal you are brazing. Put in steel or stainless to steel and it will give you there selections of silver braze materials.
http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/en/Products/Alloys/Brazing.aspx
George

Thanks G!!

I think i'm going to stop in at the local Airgas and see what they have in stock. They are supposed to stock Harris products.

Scratch water pump off the list. Instead of tapping a hole to thread a fitting in the pump, I decided to recycle the fitting in the water neck and just solder it in. I had to sand blast the paint off and the rest was easy.

DSCN1927s.jpg

Still going to need some paint but the pump is 100%

DSCN1933s.jpg

DSCN1935s.jpg

Well Gentlemen, life has been kicking me in the pants lately. Enough has happened that I won't be able to continue with the build for at least 3-4 weeks. I know a lot of you have been waiting for drawings for a while now. I am going to release the set but I want everybody to know the situation before spending your hard earned.

First I have a secret agent who has been modeling the engine in Solidworks. He has drawn the entire engine with the exception of the intake and a few bushings. Doing this he has alerted me to a dozen or more missing dimensions and areas that needed more detail.

I have also built my parts to my own drawings catching problems and making subtle improvements along the way. I have not built the radiator or fuel tank but they are not much different than the Peewee parts so I am sure they will work fine. That being said, there are still parts of the drawing that I am not 100% sure of because I have not built all the parts. As of right now I would not change anything about the set.

When I started this project it was with the plan to make a V8 that was less complex than the current designs out there and smaller for the folks with smaller machines than a Bridgeport and 48 inch lathe. While that was accomplished, don't be fooled into thinking this is an easy project. The block, heads, and intake are very complex. This project is not intended as a beginner project. I'm into this thing one year and still can see 3 more before completion.

The drawings are of the engine only. They do not include the blower. There are 68 pages that include the engine, radiator, fuel tank, and display box. I have included drawings to make the cam using the offset fixture and cutting chart. I also have included drawings for the fixture to heat treat the rings if you decide to make the rings that way.

Also know that this is the first time I have ever tried anything like this. I have exhausted every effort to make them the best quality that I could possibly make them. While I think they in very good shape some might think otherwise. Please know that once I send the file there can be no refunds.

After all that if you can't wait any longer you can send $50USD to me via Paypal. You will then receive a PDF file containing the 68 pages. The file will be sent within 24 hours.

[email protected]

It might sound like I'm trying to talk you guys out of it but I just want to be up front and let everybody know where I'm at.

Steve,
I know exactly what you're talking about. You think that you have included every dimension needed to make a part only to find out from, in my case, a buyer. I then adjust the drawing, make new copies and try and send them to everyone who has purchased a set of plans from me. My 4 cylinder OHV engine has 21 sheets so I can well understand how yours has 68.
When I worked on 'the drawing board' we always had checkers. When you got done with a drawing they would 'check' your work. Not to make you look bad but they realized when you were drawing something and made a mistake it was generally easier for someone else to catch it.
George

gbritnell said:
Steve,
I know exactly what you're talking about. You think that you have included every dimension needed to make a part only to find out from, in my case, a buyer. I then adjust the drawing, make new copies and try and send them to everyone who has purchased a set of plans from me.

Hey!! I just sent you an email like 2 minutes ago.

That's why I let someone else draw them. He wanted the drawings "right now" and I needed someone to check my work so it worked out good for both sides. Sorry about the long disclaimer but being the first time doing anything like this, I'm a bit nervous. I figure if I do this paypal I will have everybody's email address. If updates are needed, everybody will get them via email almost instantly.

Hi Steve, I'm going through the same with the Rattler. My experience is with reading prints and not drawing them and now I have a new found appreciation for genuine draftsmen. Metalmad ( Pete ) has found a few mistakes in my dwgs and I have corrected them as he progresses with his build. I agree, it is very difficult to find your own mistakes and finding someone to proof read them is necessary. I can only imagine the difficulties of drawing a V-8 engine as my engine is just a single and it was more than i had anticipated. The challenge you have taken on is enormous, first designing then building then releasing your dwgs for the rest of us to use. The amount of money spent on the same by any large automotive company would be beyond any of our imaginations I believe. So I applaud your effort and anyone who criticizes should try it themselves. Thank you for taking the time to document your engine and good luck with your endeavor, Dave

I'm going to weigh in on this one. Even after 46 years of designing and detailing machinery, I still occasionally miss a dimension. Although I create everything in 3D solids with Solidworks, and the detail drawings are "self generating" it is me who determines what dimensions are put on the drawings. Fortunately, I am able to save my Solidworks detail drawings as .dxf and .dwg drawings, and pretty-well all of my customers have some version of Autocad, so if I do miss a dimension, it is still possible for them to "measure" it on the .dxf or .dwg file. Occasionally I get a customer without any design/drafting software, and they want their drawings saved as .pdf files.--And I do get calls from their machine shops, asking for dimensions sometimes.----Brian

Dave G said:
Hi Steve, I'm going through the same with the Rattler. My experience is with reading prints and not drawing them and now I have a new found appreciation for genuine draftsmen. Metalmad ( Pete ) has found a few mistakes in my dwgs and I have corrected them as he progresses with his build. I agree, it is very difficult to find your own mistakes and finding someone to proof read them is necessary. I can only imagine the difficulties of drawing a V-8 engine as my engine is just a single and it was more than i had anticipated. The challenge you have taken on is enormous, first designing then building then releasing your dwgs for the rest of us to use. The amount of money spent on the same by any large automotive company would be beyond any of our imaginations I believe. So I applaud your effort and anyone who criticizes should try it themselves. Thank you for taking the time to document your engine and good luck with your endeavor, Dave

Thanks Dave. It's a bit nerve racking when you first release them. I have been getting some great feedback. Right off the bat there was an email about a missing dimension. Heart sank a little. I looked and it was there. Thank God!

Hi Steve,

I have followed this build from page 1, after coming across a link on Mike’s Models website back in Feb this year, when I was toying with the idea of building a model myself.
I am still staggered that anyone could undertake the design and build of something so complex as a V8, particularly given the small a scale of the components. The quality of those components reflects excellent workmanship, and certainly gives me a benchmark at which aim.

I look forward to further installments in the future, when things get back to normal for you.

Cheers Les. :bow:

Ps.
I could do with a few bucket loads of your patience, if you have any to spare.

Seriously NICE plans there Steve. :bow: :bow: I'll give em a once over too...

Dave

Well I have had 2 people tell me they have completely modeled the engine and one more who has only a few pieces to go. They have reported the same missing dimension on the head. Other than that I think I'm out of the woods on the drawings. I don't see them changing much after this one update. The fact that it could be drawn by 3 people makes me believe there is enough info to build to completion. The plans have been updated to version 1.01. I'm going to wait a few weeks to see if anything else pops up and send out a fresh set to those who have purchased already.

Other than that i'm going to stick to the original plan of finishing the V8 project and then finishing the blower conversion. Hopefully I'll get back at it next week!!!

Scratch fuel tank off the list!

Work was cancelled for the day so i made the 2 end caps for the fuel tank. They are just 2 slugs of brass but if you want to increase the capacity of the tank the ends could be bored out.

DSCN1936s.jpg

After polishing the tubing the holes were drilled for the filler neck and outlet fitting. I didn't call out the holes in the drawings because I felt everybody has a personal preference as to where the fittings go. The fittings were then soldered in from the inside.

DSCN1938s.jpg

I cant remember where i saw this (may have been here) but the inside wall gets fluxed and a piece of solder is wrapped around the inside of the tank. The end cap is fluxed and installed. The prepared end is set on the table and a torch heats until the solder melts and bonds that end.

DSCN1944s.jpg

The same process is used on the other end and then the tank gets soldered to the mount bar. I rubbed it a little on the buffer. There is alot more buffing to do but you get the idea.

DSCN1946s.jpg

Nice Tank Steve!

What are you using for fuel line? That nipple is awfully small.

Kel

The tank's not only rock solid, but is a thing of beauty, and totally in keeping the rest of it.
I like the soldering method, another idea to tuck away.

Cheers Les. :bow:

Latest posts

Back