Small taps and Dies

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hdwrench1

Reaction score
Good Morning Gentlemen,
Does anyone have a good source for small taps and dies.
My local Snap On dealer can only go down in size to #4 - 40

Thanks
Wayne

I have found at hobby stores and old hardware stores. The old hardware I have found to be the best price

I do not know if you ever tap very small taps before, but get few of exta taps a lot of cutting oil and practice tapping on plate first few times.

Good luck
Dave

Any of the large industrial suppliers should have something
This is the way to go. In the past these suppliers typically have several price ranges and quality levels. I have found I get the best performance-for-price (ie, value) by buying the "no-name USA-made" and get very good quality tools. I have also bought the "quality import" tools and have had good luck there, especially if the taps and dies were from Japan. Last time I ordered (MSC) they had a $25 minimum but if you collect an order and buy a few taps & dies and other supplies you will reach that without a problem.

By the way, like everyone else I used to break taps, and always at the worst times or in the worst places. Years ago I made myself a tapping stand and that along with a good tapping fluid (I use Tap-Magic), and taking it easy when tapping, my tap breakage has virtually disappear. I haven broken a 2-56 or even 1-72 tap in years. Search tapping stand and see what you think.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, and sorry to change the subject, how much difference does tapping fluid really make?

I have limited experience in tapping. Mostly just doing random modifications to humvee turrets. I used bigger taps too so you really have to torque them to snap one, but using them on hardened armor, they wear out very quick and in Trashcanistan you can't just go buy a new one. I started using dextron to lube them and they would last months as opposed to a few jobs.

Yes using the right cutting oil for the metal will make tap from little better for cast iron to great for aluminum

Here is a list
Cast iron use soluble
Steel and brass use black cutting oil
aluminum use WD40

I use tapping fluid for turning, drill and milling

Dave

Out of curiosity, and sorry to change the subject, how much difference does tapping fluid really make?

I have a bottle of Sears tapping fluid that has lasted several years. I use it for tapping, parting, and drilling tough stuff.

Chuck

I have 4 types I use - first I have a lube system on my lathe and mill that dispenses small amounts of a synthetic cutting lube. I use that when singlepoint threading or power tapping. If I'm hand tapping I generally use a moly synthetic on a stainless steel, a sulphurized oil on non-alloy steel and finally some of the old formula Tap Magic with 1,1,1 trichlor for hard tapping and/or when it really, really matters that everything go right. That last stuff really is magic, you can add it halfway through a hole and feel the cut lighten up. But since it's $40/can anymore I don't break it out often.

Makes great difference. The veteran fitters would use kerosene when tapping aluminium. The thread comes out smooth and good looking.

Tapmatic Oil very good for tapping every metal except aluminium.

Lard was used to tap Mild Steel during the war and after war. I have not tried it as some of my workers take it as religious insult.Will try it some time at home.

True .Most fitters do not use tapping oil for Brass. But I found easier to tap w/o squeaking and easy to retrieve.

I use tapmatic when turning.Just a dob or two as you go.The finishing is good. When parting off mild steel,constant dobs will produce chips smoothly comming out.

Latest posts

Back