Looking for hex wrenches with hardened ends

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I have a tough time with my hex wrenches. The brand I use is generally Bondhus, which have a good reputation. However I find that after about 3 weeks the ends get the corners rounded off and then I have to go out to my industrial belt sander and grind back the ends until I get past the rounded off corners. Consequently, my hex wrenches keep getting shorter and shorter. I want to buy a good set of small, imperial sized hex wrenches with the ends a different material than the main body. An end made of something super tough that won't round off under daily use. I see about a million brands advertised on the internet, but I don't trust the internet all that much. I would like to get 5/64", 3/32", 7/64", 1/8" 9/64" and 5/32" sizes. Does anyone have a supplier of this sort of thing that they could recommend to me please.---Brian Rupnow

Typically that high cost American made like snap on or SKF. The ones from China do not last long before it is recycled.
Type a Truck parts store (18 wheelers)

Dave

you could try these, I use them and the seem to be ok

1710799850226.png

https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005...=scene:pcDetailTopMoreOtherSeller|query_from:

Brian, I needed the same exact sizes as you. I do not recall where I ordered them from but they were inexpensive . I ordered 25 of each size. So far I am still on the first one of each size. Have not needed to grind a new face after about 6 months of use. Unless I misplace them the allen wrenches will outlive me. Try a search
mike

For use while building an engine I have the same make Bondhus ball ended drivers and have not had problems with these for the 6 or so years that I have used them, can't imagine that the imperial ones are softer than the metric. Anything that does need to be fully tight will get nipped up with an "L" shaped key and again I'm using the same unknown sourced ones I have for several years so can't suggest something harder as I have not found the need.

I have noticed in some of your recent builds the mention of stripping threads so maybe you tighten things harder than I do. Also if you are having a job getting surfaces to seal as in the current engine overtightening screws to try and close a gap is not going to do screw, threaded hole or wrench any good.

Also bear in mind that if the wrench is harder than the screw you are more likely to round out the hex socket and have a screw stuck in the engine.

The two main reasons I find for Allen wrench failure are cheap screws with oversized hexes and dirt or chips in the hex preventing the wrench from fully engaging the hex and spinning.

I have a tough time with my hex wrenches. The brand I use is generally Bondhus, which have a good reputation. However I find that after about 3 weeks the ends get the corners rounded off and then I have to go out to my industrial belt sander and grind back the ends until I get past the rounded off corners. Consequently, my hex wrenches keep getting shorter and shorter. I want to buy a good set of small, imperial sized hex wrenches with the ends a different material than the main body. An end made of something super tough that won't round off under daily use. I see about a million brands advertised on the internet, but I don't trust the internet all that much. I would like to get 5/64", 3/32", 7/64", 1/8" 9/64" and 5/32" sizes. Does anyone have a supplier of this sort of thing that they could recommend to me please.---Brian Rupnow
Several years ago, before I retired, I had a similar experience. I saw these on Amazon and gave them a try. They held up better and were stiffer. They had the pivotable ball type on the long end. I didn't like the case as the fractional size was too small and difficult to read. Not aware of them being sold individually, but I would buy them again if I needed a set. I never rounded or broke one in 2 years of use. I don't know much about the company.

Titan 12713 Extra-Long Arm Ball Tip SAE Hex Key Set, 13 Piece , Red​

I'm not sure what you are doing with your wrenches, I have sets of Bondhus wrenches that are at least 20 years old, the only one that gets worn out, and I think I've only replaced two in the 20 years, plus the 3/16 ones that got lost. The thing to watch out for is allowing regularly used screws to have the hex socket wear out or over torquing with the wrench not fully engaged, possibly because of chips and dirt/rust, otherwise I've found the Bondhus wrenches to be pretty durable.
FWIW, I think you can get individual wrenches from KBC or just ask your local industrial supplier. depending on how many you need, it might be cheaper to buy a new set.
In thinking about it, I bought the imperial set in 1993

I refuse to buy any brand of wrench where more thought goes into the handle than the tip, that includes Wera and Wiha and most others that are more eye candy than anything else, sticking with Bondus, but have to admit that I have at least two of every size, with the ball ground off of one, because the ball is absolutely necessary some of the time while the rest of the time its a nuisance. IMHO, YMMV, VWPBL, yada, yada, yada...

the corners rounded off and then I have to go out to my industrial belt sander and grind back the ends until I get past the rounded off corners.
Just spitballing but is it possible that your current wrenches are made of heat-treated carbon steel and the belt grinder has drawn the temper of the steel such that they are now pretty soft? Like a screwdriver, they may only have been hardened at the tips when new. That would kind of fit with the problem you've described.

You might try re-hardening an existing wrench. It may be tricky to get the right temper on the tip but you don't have much to lose the way they are.

Craig

The German engineers I work with all use Wera tools.
The Wera tools are really decent quality. :)cool: good tool and imperial sized tool isn*t that mutually exclusive? :) )
My work colleague from Germany complained about the "mulicolor Wera hexes" (round profile rubber like sleeve) He had problems with the handles sliding. (I was advised to get the cheaper bare metal ones which last very long already at work)

For tiny sizes those are nice, I could not find inch sizes quickly. (chances are they do not make them).
Metric ones are available with straight hex or ball end.
1711116537945.jpeg

French FACOM brand maybe?

Greetings Timo

I refuse to buy any brand of wrench where more thought goes into the handle than the tip, that includes Wera and Wiha and most others that are more eye candy than anything else, sticking with Bondus, but have to admit that I have at least two of every size, with the ball ground off of one, because the ball is absolutely necessary some of the time while the rest of the time its a nuisance. IMHO, YMMV, VWPBL, yada, yada, yada...
I rather buy a tool were someone was thinking about the handle. Than one were no one was thinking at all.

I would not mind some tools with wood handles. I bought some 2nd hand hex screw drivers with wood handles and they have no issue with oil!
We had some "automotive tools" (Gedore) were the handles appear to be not oil resistant and the ball tips of the hex key broke off more easy than other brands. (good job!)

Wera has Hex plus (Trademark) profile, so they also think about tips. I am sort of a fanboy (admittedly)
Wera handles did so far not "desintegrate" in oil and climate. (other brands did) Hex keys do not round over and they do not damage the bolts.

#not sponsert.

Latest posts

Back