Aladdin's cave of machines to dispose of - help needed

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sounds like an innovative approach to moving a heavy lathe. Steel rollers are also good - cut down scaffold poles are ideal.

Well done the Welsh rugby club!
Hi David, a difficult chore. As the proceeds will be a part of your BiL's estate for probate, the accountancy for all the selling can be a nightmare. But the auction house solution will manage it all and give you a full account at the end of the process. "Closure" has a value at this time. A friend did the Ebay bit but it took a year, which delayed probate and closure. Not good with hindsight..
Condolences to all in this one.
I had a boat on a trailer, and 5 neighbours were willing to lift it off onto ground props for overwintering, then back onto the trailer in th spring, for a can of beer each. The neighbouring roofer also saw a tile misplaced, so climbed the down pipe, leapt on the roof, replaced the tile, then jumped back to the ground... as quick as that!

It's all going to auction. The machines, the hundreds of railway engines, rolling stock, BNIB models, accessories, etc.

I will update you here with the auction date and link to the online catalogue in a couple of months.
It's going to take that long for the auctioneers to sort it all out. They are naming the auction after my BIL, in his memory, which I thought a nice touch.

SIL is very happy it'll all go in one day in a few weeks. We'll be there to help out.
Hi all,

Going back down to my SIL's Tuesday to prepare for the trucks to arrive Thursday and take everything to the auction house.

Someone I know well is interested in the Dore Westbury milling machine (15 & 22 on the list), but wanted to know what attachments (collets, cutters, drawbars and other things perhaps?) come with it prior to bidding. From what I've read briefly online it may share the same fitting/thread as the Myford lathe and so I'm likely to become confused when searching for the Westbury's accessories, and it's also possible these may get mixed up when the auction house is sorting through them.

The lathe is in the workshop with Myford attachments all around it but the Westbury is in the garage in two pieces with nothing around it other than a few vices, and loads of other machines.

Bearing in mind my BIL seems to have had just about every conceivable lathe accessory, could anyone give me any clues how to recognise what attachments go with the Westbury, and what they look like?

Many thanks once again.
The Dore Westbury mill does have a Myford "nose" which means that the thread size is identical to the Myford lathe nose. The hole in the spindle is also identical to the Myford and is a number 2 Morse taper. So anything which fits the myford nose be it via the screw or the taper will fit the Dore.

If I were selling the Dore I would be looking for a vice which would sit onto the bed of the mill. I don't know how many vices you have but you would be looking for one with a capacity of say 1.5inches, maybe 2 inches.

A small rotary table could also go with the mill but in general I would sell all the accessories separately. The mill didn't come with any accessories and the lathe only had basic accessories as has previously been stated. I would however include the myford stand with the lathe.

Hope that helps

Thanks Mike. My SIL just today found these boxes...

Those dovetails in the box at the top look like they might fit the Westbury bed slots? The blurry list in the box is...


Is this all Myford stuff, or Westbury?

Many thanks.
I think the preceding photo is of lathe parts.

Would the items below be used with the Westbury? I read the QS Mill is for a Myford, but is it lathe only?...







Im my list I'd estimated the QS Mill at £700-900; the Jones-Shipman vice at £150-200; no idea about the value of the contents of the two metal boxes.
The QuickStepMill is a tool post mounted milling spindle used on the Myford see Quick Step mill, John Payne's by Hemingway, for sale for the full kit. It allows milling of items which are held in the chuck. As an example a very course helical "thread" would be cut by milling with the appropriate gear train.
the third picture shows a collet holder with a morse taper shank - use with Myford or Westbury
The 4th picture is also a collet holder for end mills - use with Myford or Westbury
Picture 16 is a vice with an opening of 70mm and a jaw width of 105mm currently on sale at Myford-Lather for £375. Use with Westbury
Price for the QS mill is too high - more like £200 but thats a guess based on a low demand item.
The collets should go for £30-50 - again depends on the demand.
Hope that helps
Top photo, top box: quick-change toolpost and toolholders for the lathe

The two blue steel boxes contain Autolock chucks and their collets for holding differnt size milling cutters, primarily for use with the milling machine but could also be used in the lathe.

The GHT dividing head in the green box can be used on either the lathe or milling machine.

The quick-step mill is what it says on the case, a milling attachment for the lathe. (Your BiL had everything.)

The Jones & Shipman vice (top notch) is for holding workpieces in the milling machine.

[I had just finished writing this post when Mike's appeared]
Thanks both, very useful indeed.

What would milling "cutters" look like? I believe they're different from those for the lathe?
Just search eBay for "milling cutters" and you will see loads. All cutters may be used on a mill or lathe. Usually smaller ones are used with the lathe but the Westbury mill is not very ridged so it only tales smaller cutters say up to 10/12mm but that is up to the operator to determine feeds and speeds.
Milling cutters are either end mills designed to remove metal with the component moving. Slot cutters allow the cutter to plunge into the component and also do the function of the end mill. There are other types such as rounded end cutters etc.
The other type of milling cutters have a thread at one end and are designed for use with the AutoLock chuck, one of which you have. These are usually used in factories. Autolock cutters can be used in the lathe and mill.

To simply answer your question - a milling cutter may be used in either mill or lathe in a model workshop.

Hope that helps

Thanks Mike.

If you were looking at the two blue metal boxes of chucks and collets, which would you want, or would you see a need for both?
Simple answer - I don't know! They both seem to be AutoLock chucks - maybe more detailed photos might identify the differences. I have never worked in a factory workshop so have little experience of these chucks and don't own one.

On the subject of your post 112 asking about milling or lathe cutters. Its difficult to know your level of tooling knowledge so you might find the fowlling helps if I read your confusing correctly. (I should have added this to my earlier post).

Most of the time milling cutters are not used in the lathe, if they are then a milling table normally needs to be set up to hold the component to be machined and to allow up and down movement (xy and z). If you look at the accessory list I posted you will see a vertical slide which is in your collection. Most of the time users use the type of cutters shown below. These are held in a tool post on the top slide of the lathe and are moved only in the XY plane. You have such cutters and tool holders. There are many styles and are not usually painted blue!


The lathe is mainly intended for 'tuning', in which the work rotates against a 'fixed' (actually slowly moving) tool producing cylindrical parts.

In 'milling' the cutter rotates and the workpiece is 'fixed' (actually slowly moving), producing flat surfaces.

Both Autolock chucks have No 2 morse taper mounting, which is more flexible than is ideal, but which suits the machines. The upper one has a backing ring, which can allow a more rigid setup, but has only 5 collets with it. The small plastic boxes with the lower one may contain additional collets for holding different size cutters. The collets come in imperial or metric sizes. An imperial set includes 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 & 5/8, while the metric ones are 6, 10, 12 & 16 mm. The metric ones, as visible in the lower set, are identified by a groove round the 'ears'.
Just in the workshop now...
Are these milling cutters?...

One of the two chucks says No.3 taper, not No.2...

Is this no good for either the Myford or Westbury? How do I discover if the other, smaller taper, chuck is 2 or 3?. It has imperial chucks 1/4 to 5/8
Yes they are milling cutters - good quality. The cutters which show the ends are called End Mills. Those with a thread are designed for use with the AutoLock chuck but can be used with any chuck/collet. Note that the larger taper (Number 3 Morse taper) will not fit the Myford or the Westbury. The smaller Autolock chuck in the last picture (on the left) will fit both machines but is usually used in the mill. Having said that I would not use a Autolock chuck since it extends the cutter a long way from the mill bearings and there would be a rigidity concern.
Thanks Mike. If not an autolock chuck, what other type should I be looking for which would be shorter and hold the cutters? I can't fathom how anything much shorter could hold a cutter?

Latest posts