Rattler

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all
Ive been down for a few days with a killer migrane, but am starting to get back in the saddle today
The first two pics are why Stump grinders teach themselves how to machine metal ;D
the next two are a start on the Cam stylus of the "Rat" out of a hi tensile bolt.
The best and last is one of the reasons, I still get out of Bed in the morning :big:

SANY1772 by metalmad2011, on Flickr

SANY1773 by metalmad2011, on Flickr

SANY1775 by metalmad2011, on Flickr

SANY1777 by metalmad2011, on Flickr

SANY1771 by metalmad2011, on Flickr

Pete, thank you for sharing the last picture. The lad is a treasure for sure. He brings tears of joy to my eyes. Thanks.

Hi Larry
Thanks Mate
Its his birthday today, 2 years old Wow
This morning I did some more work on the Stylus but its not quite right yet as its still hitting the lifter as it navigates the crossover.
There is a filed clearence for the lifter that needs a bit more taken off :)

SANY1779 by metalmad2011, on Flickr

SANY1780 by metalmad2011, on Flickr

SANY1781 by [ur
SANY1782 by metalmad2011, on Flickrl=http://www.flickr.com/people/61672544@N06/]metalmad2011[/url], on Flickr

Coming along very nicely Pete Thm: - doesn't look like there's far to go now...

Regards, Arnold

Hi Arnold
Basically I only have the piston and rod Assembly's to go, so its close,
But at the moment my first priory is getting my stump grinder back together.
If I can get the parts, I need to work on it first.
oh and a Stand too :big: :big:

Happy Birthday Kev! th_wav

Thanks Tel
all the kids have just left thank goodness :big: :big:

Hi guys
I should get the parts I need for the Grinder tomorrow, so I started on a Stand for the Rat this Arvo :big:

SANY1787 by metalmad2011, on Flickr
PS
I have a 1/4-32 Tap on order, so when i get that, i'll think about making a plug too
Pete

Just finished reading this thread.
Very enjoyable and a great project.
I'm looking forward to the video.

Hi Zee
Thanks for the drop in and wecome back :)
I Started both a Spark plug and the Con rod today but finished neither :big:
I made the electrode for the Plug out of the "Sow", from piano wire, but i'm thinking of turning down a small umbrako bolt( maybe a 4-40) so that the thread and electrode is one piece.
Last time I made the plug body out of Brass, and although the plug worked very well, I had to be very careful not to scratch it.
I hope this Sparks as well as the Brass one did.
Pete

SANY1788 by metalmad2011, on Flickr

wow looking good havent been able to check in lately most impressed it will soon be buzzing around
awesome photo of the little lad thanks for sharing
my grandson (five who lives with us) has blown the teacher away with his grasp of math and she asked the daughter how this could be and her answer blew me away
she said he has helped grandad in the shed getting his spanners and tools and has learnd to count the numbers on the spanners and has always asked can he put the numbers on the calculator for me
so you never know just what is going on inside those little heads

Hi John
Thanks Mate,
That book on how to build the Mastiff is great !!
Glad to see your OK after all the earthquakes over there recently :)
Today I made up a Dog to turn the con rod.
The .375 by .500 long turned bit on the end,
in the second pic,
will become the Small end of the Rod
Tomorrow I'll turn it around and do the shaft of the rod itself

SANY1789 by metalmad2011, on Flickr

SANY1790 by metalmad2011, on Flickr

Today I started the Big end bearing set and drilled the oil hole for the big end.
In the second pic, u can see where the oil hole in the big end set, lines up with the center drill hole, which has a connecting oil hole drilled at 30 degrees.
He's pretty smart our Dave, I recon :big:

SANY1794 by metalmad2011, on Flickr

SANY1795 by metalmad2011, on Flickr

Hi Pete, It won't be long now. I like to oil my rod bearing before running with a small pin oiler. I have many hours on my Rattler with no bearing trouble so it must work okay. A small hole drilled into the endplates for the pin oiler to lubricate the main bearings would help also. The fuel gets oil mixed with it and seems to supply the cylinder walls enough lube.
Keep up the good work and soon we will all get to celebrate with you on your accomplishment, Dave

Hi Dave
I'm held up at the moment waiting for my 1/4-32 and 5-40 taps.
This morning I went and ordered them from another company, who tell me I can pick them up tomorrow!! ;D
I ordered and payed for the .250-32 last month and Today, enough was enough,
The new supplier's price is approximately half as well. That combined with the next day service, had me demanding my money back this arvo !!

Hi guys
I did a little more on the stand today.
I had planned to have three cross bars per side, but that would mean 22 tiny 2-56 bolts and that may look too much. :eek:
As it is at the moment there are 16, and I will leave it like that, at least for now

SANY1799 by metalmad2011, on Flickr
Pete
PS
in the background are a couple of Bez's Wallaby Blocks, which will be my next build
I had intended to build only one, but well, ive got two Blocks u see :big:
Bez rules :bow: :bow:

Strewth mate, 2-56 tiny? Nah - now these are starting to get a bit small! Rof}

Hi Tel
I Have rules, I work by Mate
one is, if I can not see it, I wont use it :big: :big:
Pete

I have just recently bought a tap and die set which goes from 1mm all the way up to 2.5mm. Huge stuff. To be honest I am scared to use them, I wince and pray to the god of the shed when I use a 3mm. Dave that engine will be purring/ rattling son enough.
Brock

Back