Rattler

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Larry
I recon Its still at least a month off yet before its even close to the running stage but stay tuned.
I plan to put at least a couple of videos up as i did with the "Sow"(3) but before that happens there are a lot of little Governor parts to be made, mostly out of Stainles Steel, not to even mention piston and conrod ;D
Thank you for the assumption That it will run :big:
I hope to continue work on the Crank today
Pete

Hi Pete, I was away from home a few days and am now getting caught up. Your build is really looking nice, the small parts shouldn't take too long to make and I foresee a running engine in the near future. As for the carb placement, we will just call this the south of the equator version. I didn't really think about it when I was designing it but it makes no difference which way it goes and it will make your version more unique. I'm really enjoying this and keep up the good work, Dave

Thanks Dave
Its starting to get there, but still lots to do ;D
Ive had a vague sort of idea about a custom stand to put my mark on this thing and I think ive got some bits of alli that will suit, so I think, I will put all else aside tomorrow and see if we can make something a little better then an old paperback to sit the "Rat" on :big:

SANY1690 by metalmad2011, on Flickr
Pete

Well I didnt get time to start my Stand, as finishing off the Crank took a lot longer than I thought and I had to make a brass bush for the back endplate cos I made them both the same when their just not :big: Broching the woodruff key hole in the Flywheel was harder to get right than I thought too.

SANY1691 by metalmad2011, on Flickr

SANY1693 by metalmad2011, on Flickr

Hi Bez
I was hoping for something a little more productive :big:

Coming along Nicely Pete Thm:

Every bit helps ;D - I don't even bother to go to the shop when I have a cold or the flu...

And us blokes in the Southern Hemisphere have winter now... For the first time in my life that I can remember we had snow here in Namibia last week :eek: - so no shop! Seems we need heat to work :big:

Kind regards, Arnold

Hi Arnold
Yes its been Freezing here and my Arthritis is playing up with the cold
but I want the "Rat" Running in about a Month so I better get my act together :big:

SANY1708 by metalmad2011, on Flickr

Freezing there? In tropical Wolf ... Brisbane? Haul on down this way and I show you wot cold is.

The last Winter I was in Bathurst I didn't feel the cold at all....

Froze me n***s off, the rest of me wuz just plain frost biting numb :eek:

oxidize more carbon, lets warm the place up a bit

Rof} You sort-of get used to it after the first 40 or 50 years

Have not had much chance to get into the shed as much as id like but i got a little done.
I must admit I was a little worried about parting off an inch and a half of Stainless steel but slowly slowly and no worrys

SANY1716 by metalmad2011, on Flickr

SANY1717 by metalmad2011, on Flickr

Hi Pete, I see you have gotten to the governor weights. When milling the material away from the backside to form the arms that fit into the spool take a few cuts from one side and then alternate to the other side. This should help with distortion, these arms are quite small and flexible when getting to the finished size so as you get closer to size take less material off per pass. It will help to change to a sharp endmill also when finishing. Be careful and good luck, Dave

You're certainly ploughing your way thru it Pete - it's looking good!

Hi Dave
I bought a HSS 2 flute single Ticn coated end mill this morning and I must admit it cut the Stainless Steel well, but I found that possably due to the unequal flute sizes I had a lot of trouble holding a size during a cut.
I have not noticed this before with this mill, but it is still new to me, maybe the guy before me slaked off the jibs or something, I do know he did not oil them.
Tomorrow I will see if a normally fluted bit holds to size better.

Hi Tel
Thanks Mate
I really needed the support today :)

SANY1719 by metalmad2011, on Flickr

SANY1720 by metalmad2011, on Flickr

SANY1721 by metalmad2011, on Flickr

Hi Pete, The governor weights were the one component that gave me concern if I had done a proper job in describing them.
I see that you had no trouble in their construction and I am glad for that. I hope it was one of those parts that looked complicated before machining but once finished you would say well that wasn't so bad. I try to keep those kinds of parts to a minimum but every engine has them. You may consider yourself a novice machinist but I think your skills are much better than a novice. Keep up the good work and in your honor I will be taking a celebratory trip to the Outback Steak House and having a big steak when your Rattler comes to life. Dave

Oh and by the way I like my steaks well done, just like your Rattler.

Latest posts

Back