Rattler

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Mate
just fine tuning it from now in ;D
Thinking about it, I"m wondering if the governor spring is not stong enougth and thats why she's dying off.
Pete

Congratulations Pete.
First pops are a wonderful thing. Lets you know that the all the work from the past months has not been for naught.
Gail in NM

Thank you so much for that Larry ;D. And Gail,
I was surprised how easy she came to life, Im hoping It will run much better next time as I think the Governor was killing it.
Pete

Wonderful Pete. You may want to make that pulley you mentioned before to give you more flywheel weight. I was worried that casting wouldn't be heavy enough and it may not be. Make sure the lifter moves freely in the shuttle as there is nothing but gravity to pull it in to position when the exhaust valve is locked out. Also I try not to get oil on the governor parts as this will slow them down or make them stick, they must move freely. Maybe a light oil will work but I have found oil will dry up and cause the governor to stick giving erratic operation. I'm sure you will have it sorted out in no time and if I can help in any way, let me know. Also I am going to open a Paypal account to help with selling the plans. My son tells me this is the way to go and I will do this soon. Good job and thank you for helping me with the plans, Dave

Thanks Dave
I Thought I had made a mistake somewhere with the pin :big:
I have learnt so much from this build its not funny.
The Base has had two coats of varnish so far and will have a few more durring the week, at the moment I have her sitting on another bit of wood for trials.
Thank you again for letting me build this wonderful little engine :bow:
Pete

Hi Pete,
Congrats on the first pop. I don't think that the governor is cutting out too soon. It seems to be running at a very nice speed. From here just some fine tuning and it will be running continuously.
gbritnell

Hey Pete, in regards to "light" oil, one of the best "light" oils that I have used over the years has been "Starrett" Instrument Oil. It is extremely stable and does not deteriorate over time. In studies we did back in the 60's at Monsanto Research Corp, 3 in 1 oil was the worst of all of the so called light oils. Sewing machine oils were next in line. Mobil Oil makes a great series of oil called DTE. In comes in various grades, but not light enough for our models. If you can not get the Starrett instrument oil and wish some, let me know and I will buy some and ship it to you.

Another trick to try, take a No.2 pencil and rub the side of the lead sticking out on the shaft. This will deposit "graphite" on the shaft and make it slide easier.

My nickles worth. Keep on having fun !!!

Hi George
That Gearbox is simply inspiring :bow:
I have already cut down the Governor spring, so once I get it running right, I may have to find another ::)
Hi Larry
Thank your very much for the offer, and support, but I don't think the Shuttle is sticking and the Governor may simply need to wear in a bit. :eek:
But I sure will try out that graphite trick :big:
My troubles are I think, simply tuning ,and I'm hoping to have another crack at her on Sunday 8)
one thing I really need to do, is round off the edge of the flywheel as its a little sharp when starting.
Pete

ONYA Pete! Thm: Yer doing better'n me - I've barely been inside the ice cave for weeks!

Hi Tel
I'm having trouble with the cold here in tropical Queensland so I can only imagine what you face in Bathurst !!
(VERY COLD PLACE lol)
Bez came over this afternoon and we made about 8 videos :big:
as im only allowed two a month it would probably take 4 months to get them onto my server :big:
Tomorrow is August so ill try again with loading another one or two video's
Real progress was made today and a small problem with my mixture needle was found. I ground it at 12 degrees and seem to run out of thread before getting it lean enougth , maybe I should grind up another one at 15 degrees or so.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61672544@N06/5993502708/
PS
Only half this video has uploaded and im not allowed more ???
(guttered ) it should be over 3 min long :'(
I wonder if I can link to my facebook page which has the whole video, plus another couple as well.

Awesome Pete :bow: Fantastic job. I got the ole goose bumps watching it run. Being there with you during your build makes it very special for me and I am sure for many others also.

Again, grrrrrreat job :)
Larry

Thanks Larry
She is so close now
a few more coats of varnish and maybe a new mixture needle.
i'm trying to link to my face book page which has a couple of Videos
here is a different one .
<object width="320" height="240" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/10150267933694442" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/10150267933694442" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="240"></embed></object>

Hi Pete. love the video. I think you are on the right track. I can see the intake valve opening on almost every cycle so it isn't latching the governor yet. When mine runs too rich it will do the same. Once you get the mixture right it should make more power and allow the governor to latch out. You are real close. It won't take you long to sort out and then you'll be on to the next project. This is fun isn't it? Dave

Hi Dave
I think u will be safe with having your steak now anyway :big:
here's another video.
As I said we made 8 of em LOL
PS
This Video was taken before the other two and before we found the problem with the mixture needle.
<object width="320" height="240" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/10150267981234442" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/10150267981234442" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="240"></embed></object>

Congratulations Pete ;D - knew you'd have a runner :bow:

Kind regards, Arnold

Starts and runs pretty good, Pete. Nice looking engine!

Chuck

Congratulations Pete,I have really enjoyed following your build.Keep up the good work.

Ian (seagar)
Coffs Harbour,
Australia.

Hi Arnold
Thank you for sticking with me Mate !!
Chuck, Im fairly happy with her now but Still need to do a little bit of dialing it in.
Ian thanks for that :)
But not all is rosy in the land of Metalmad.
I woke up yesterday with a power outage and so far have only got power to half the house, My Shed is on the wrong side of the house :(
The fridge and freezer are both hooked up to long extension leads, so we are left with the question.
Is life worthwhile without the Shop?Shed?
Sigh

Back