Peewee V4

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
deere_x475guy said:
Looking good Steve!!! Man where do you find the time to do all of this?

Wasn't that bad. With that fixture, the rods went pretty fast. I had the pistons made a while ago when the cylinders were lapped.

The rings took about 20 minutes. Turn outside. Drill and bore inside.
Face and move over.059 and part off.
Face and move over.059 and part off.

I am waiting for a scale to balance the ratating assembly so i might take a crack at the intake manifold.

Looking great Steve!

Did you do the Trimble method for the rings?...or something else?

Dave

steamer said:
Looking great Steve!

Did you do the Trimble method for the rings?...or something else?

Dave

I used the Bob Shores method. Most people scoff at his way of making rings but after reading his tip, I had to laugh.

"Much has been written about producing pistons and rings. I have tried every method I am aware of. One thing I have learned is that when someone starts to tell me how to make piston rings, I stop him and ask him to crank up his multi cylinder engine. If there is smoke in the exhaust, I ask why he did not make a good set of rings for his own engine."

Bob Shores

Time will tell. If they dont work, I'll try something else.

there would appear to be great wisdom there.....

I on the other hand will be happy if it runs! ;D

Dave

Looking forward to seeing it run, smoke or no smoke! but seeing your work and approach I would forecast no smoke (although a little shows its going through and it has to bed in doesn't it?) and the smell.......ahhhhhhhhh 8)

Steve,

The bearings are bronze and have a circular groove in them? correct?

Curious......check my post in the slinger thread

Dave

steamer said:
Steve,

The bearings are bronze and have a circular groove in them? correct?

Curious......check my post in the slinger thread

Dave

That is correct. I took a piece of round stock and slit it with a saw right down the middle. Took it to the lathe and parted the now 2 pieces off. Then i soft soldered the 2 pieces together and chucked them in a 4 jaw. After the bushing was done you just heat with a torch to split the bushing in 2 pieces. When i made the second one I just chucked the 2 pieces in the 4 jaw without the solder. Works just as good but you need to mark the bushing because when you part it off, the 2 pieces go flying. You want to make sure the 2 halfs go back together the way they were cut.

Made progress today in the form of an intake manifold. Took about 5 hours with a lunch break in there.

DSCN1673s.JPG

DSCN1674s.JPG

Magnificent Steve :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Looks awesome!

Got out to the garage early today and made some headway on the carb. I still have to make some threads. This is my first 1-72 thread so i will get a tap tomorrow. I buy them as i need them. I made the carb exactly to the print except I added 2, 0-80 holes on top so i could add an air filter of some kind later.

DSCN1677s.JPG

DSCN1678s.JPG

DSCN1679s.JPG

Impressive Steve, looks like you went with aluminum instead of the brass. Do you have pics of some of the steps you took to make the carb?

Bob

deere_x475guy said:
Impressive Steve, looks like you went with aluminum instead of the brass. Do you have pics of some of the steps you took to make the carb?

Bob

Sorry no pics. I was called unsafe for having a TV in the shop. I can't even imagine the beating I would get if I posted some pictures of the process. I only take pictures of the finished parts.

I did screw up. I forgot that I made the body .100 wider to allow more thread at the fuel inlet fitting. I need to mill 2 slots so i can tighten the mounting screws. Should have used the latest drawing!! Give me something to do tomorrow.

Easy fix!

Nice work Steve. Its a shame about not showing earlier pictures in the process, its those pictures that help me the most. Its a shame those making negative comments can have a negative effect such as this. :eek:

Metal Mickey said:
Nice work Steve. Its a shame about not showing earlier pictures in the process, its those pictures that help me the most. Its a shame those making negative comments can have a negative effect such as this. :eek:

Not a big deal. Steve holds no grudges!!

If you can believe it, the carb started out as a piece of round stock and most of the work was done in a rotary chuck. I kept putting it off because it looked like alot of work but it was one of the easier pieces.

very nice build steve :bow:

i have heard that there are some issues with the crankshaft drawings not being just right, did you have any problems?

again great looking engine and can't wait to see some video of it running!!!

chuck

chuck foster said:
very nice build steve :bow:

i have heard that there are some issues with the crankshaft drawings not being just right, did you have any problems?

again great looking engine and can't wait to see some video of it running!!!

chuck

The problem is a combination of things. I drew the lower end before any parts were cut and caught the problem. I moved the crankshaft .015 and cut the recesses in the block and oil pan different. Without the changes the crank will not rotate. I think I moved the lifter bores around also but only a few thou. Also there is only one head drawn so the other head has to be designed yourself.

Are you considering building the Peewee?

Latest posts

Back