N.A.M.E.S 2012, Back To the Yack

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the state of Michigan construction update site and map for the area.

http://mdotnetpublic.state.mi.us/drive/
Enter Southgate to get into the general interchange area, in the location window.

The biggest area is the junction Eureka Rd both East and West bound @ Fort st North and South.
It is closed and there is a very short detour drive around thru the left turn around in each direction.
Turn right @ Fort st.
left lane turn @ left lane turn around for North bound Fort st.
Right lane turn right @ Eureka rd.
Continue to the Yack.

Along with assorted closures close to the I 75 interchange@ Eureka Rd.

Check the state construction web site for the latest updates.

Well the show will be going on as planned, the ice is gone and the boards are removed. Will post next years show info tomorrow.

Well we moving along at a good pace, An update for any coming across Eureka Rd. The detour is now changed to a traffic lane shift on Eureka rd one lane each direction.

stevehuckss396 said:
I'm in! What are you thinking?

I'll be there some time Friday morning so anything is good for me.
Drop me a line and Ill give you my cell # in case one of those spontaneous adult beverage get-togethers pan out. :)

Lakc said:
Drop me a line and Ill give you my cell # in case one of those spontaneous adult beverage get-togethers pan out. :)

Haven't heard anything. I will go down friday (Tomorrow) and hang out for a few hours. Will have dinner with Bob and Larry Shutt if they are up to it and then Sunday after the show I will end up at the Red Robin (Yummmmmm) with the metal club.

Have fun, will be having grandkids and step gradkids with me most of the weekend, will see you around.

I just checked into the Red Roof. 14 hours drive from Sturbridge MA. With 5 old men needing prostate breaks every hour it took forever to make a mere 770 miles ;D

We will be at the Yack at 9AM tomorrow, ready to setup and gab.

If you want to record the CNC seminar on Saturday you are welcome, but I doubt anyone would ever want to watch it on video

Thanks to all the exhibitors! We had a great time ;D My brother (who is a pretty good amateur photographer) took a ton of pictures - I'll try to get him to put them up somewhere for everyone to see.

dgjessing said:
Thanks to all the exhibitors! We had a great time ;D My brother (who is a pretty good amateur photographer) took a ton of pictures - I'll try to get him to put them up somewhere for everyone to see.

Would love to see the pix, let us know if they are posted to photobucket or something.

From all the comments and the people that showed up it was a great show a bunch of new stuff on display. Pretty good weather and the vendors seemed to be happy for the most part and so did the buying modelers.

I know @ 8:13pm last night we had the trailers loaded up, doors slammed shut and on the road home. The arena was ready for the circus to set up tomorrow.

Glad the weather wasn't getting as bad as fast as some of the weather guessers were predicting.

Hope everybody made it home safe and sound and hope to sell you there next year!

PTsideshow said:
From all the comments and the people that showed up it was a great show

Yeah I don't know about you but I like the Yack better than Southgate. It seemed bigger. Not sure if you just laid it out better but also it seemed warmer in the arena. I never reached for my jacket once.

Great show, Glen! The Yack worked out very well. I appreciate all the effort you and the NAMES crew put into the show.

Many thanks.

I'll be back in 2013.

Regards,

Chuck Kuhn

Well Steve I have to agree with you, Since they redid it, Plus putting in the new lighting. And Brad the cities arena guy wasn't afraid to turn the heat on and leave it on. Plus he was there the whole time it was open. Plus they had custodial on site for most of the show hours.

And yes there was more room due to the type/brand of bleachers, less stick out. And having all the boards removed from both sides. Plus they no longer had the bleachers on the west end like they did. And does having a fresh white coat of paint on the walls make a brightness difference.

The lay out as to tables was pretty much the same, other than some of the larger free standing displays. But as the first time back in about 10 years. It did work out well, other than some things that are beyond control. Like the saying says stuff happens.

They do have a little more practice with hosting shows, flea markets, and a circus is in the arena right now. Plus they have there own tables, chairs and the curtains, so it isn't an after thought.

When I send my wrap up notes to the board, I will include your question about airing the the seminars, the problem with the wifi port you had. If the cart for the mobile vid is just one of those red metal two shelf Harbor Freight types let me know next year as we have two that spend the week end in the trailers, you guys can use one.

A friend of mine and I were there on Sunday morning. Found everything about the show just great! Had a great time looking at all the models. Meeting and talking with several that are regulars here on the forum was a plus as well.
I was really impressed with the Magnetic Gear Clock from the folks at Digital Machinist of Traverse City MI. Came home, downloaded their DXF files, and the build is under way.
Already have most of the many circular wheels redrawn in CamBam. Magnets are ordered and on the way as well. Really ahead of the curve, as it will not be able to be completed until the next two issues of the Magazine go to print.
Of all the beautiful construction items at the show, this is the one that really caught my eye. Will be willing to share the CamBam and GCode files as I go along, if anyone is interested. Actually, will probably start a post just for the project and will attach the files as I finish and post pictures.
Thanks again to all those who worked so hard to bring N.A.M.E.S. to the area, was a great place to spend a Sunday morning.
George

What does it take to exhibit at the show?

You bring in something you want to exhibit, find an empty table space and put you item down. There are no requirements or restrictions. Well, I think firearms are not allowed.

I liked Yack as well. The refurb is great. It was bright enough, and even the sound system worked so you could hear the announcements. A minor screw up on the national anthem Saturday, but that was about the only problem of the whole week.

I had to pack up Sunday by noon, and we got to the east side of PA and missed all the show. From what I have read we did well to miss it.

I understand there has been discussion of making the show Friday and Saturday since so many guys leave Saturday. I think that might work better. I feel bad for people that come Sunday, there are less than half the models left by noon on Sunday.

It was a great show, I think a tad fewer exhibitors than some years, but good.

The Problem with Friday/Saturday is that too many show up to grab and there were people turned away from set up on Thursday. I think that there will all ways be the Sunday afternoon problem, no matter which two days it is!
All through even with the weather there was still a lot of people sticking around this year. NAMES did cut the admin price in half. And after about 3pm it did lighten up body wise fast.

The only real restrictions on displaying is it can't be a full sized working gun, the mortars, and machine guns are scale. And it has to be an item that has considerable hand work in it. Material doesn't matter. Other than no standard plastic type kits.
There is no charge, to exhibit one spot or a number of them with in reason. Other than the modeling groups like Ron's and the others that come from some distances. It is first come first pick a spot.

I was really impressed with the Magnetic Gear Clock
Wes is great and he will answer any questions on his clock build you have.

Glad you guys made it back with out a lot of shoveling all the way home. :big:

What happened with the Model Engine Builder Magazine ? Noticed they were not at the show this year along with alot of other venders. I dont think a Friday and saturday show will help, to start with I'm not missing 2 days of work to do that and I,m sure their are others in the same boat.

Back