N.A.M.E.S 2012, Back To the Yack

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTsideshow

Reaction score
Well here it is right from the printers.
We're going BACK TO THE YACK
IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Nuff said for now, back to this years show!

floorplan2011.jpg

Here is the tentative layout of the arena layout as always it may be subject to changes around the edges. It is basically the same size as last years layout.
floorplan20112.jpg

This is the schedule on seminars, There could be another addition to Sunday @ 1pm Ron Grimes redoing his Saturday one.

As with every schedule subject to health, weather and life changes may occur.

Since it just down the road from last years arena. hotel info is about the same. No new ones added so far.

The steam course has been cancelled this year!

If you are interested in taking it for next year please contact Jim Snider his contact is pjsniderat Live dot com

Also if anybody would like to help set up the show, we will be starting on April 17th at 9am. Please if you would like to help any of the the days leading to Thursday. Please email Mike Danko with the days you can work, midan543 at charter dot net Of course adjust the email addys for use.

For those that plan ahead here are the tentative show dates
2013 April 20th &21st
2014 April 26th & 27th
2015 April 19th & 20th

One final reminder There will be Limited electricity 110v 300w There are NO 220VOLT outlets AVAILABLE

If you need electricity or any other special needs please contact Mike Danko ONLY!
safetyrulesNames2010.jpg

hotelsnames2010.jpg

The general safety rules and fuel limits have not changed.

Hi Glen,

Thanks for the information. I just reserved my hotel room for the weekend. Really looking forward to the show. Went to N.A.M.E.S. last year for the first time and had a great time meeting so many people that I have corresponded with over the years. It was a great experience and I would highly recommend it.

Thanks again.

Kind regards,
Mike

"The steam course has been cancelled this year".

What?

Was I going to be there? Well, actually probably not.

But I am big on steam that is for sure.

The hand workbooks are about $60.00 each for printing and binding. Nobody preregistered for it matter a fact there was no interest in it for this year. That's why the notice about contacting Jim for next year.

Lookin' forward to it!

I went last year, told my metal fab buddy about it and we decided to make it a weekend with a visit to the Ford museum on Sunday. Told my wife about this and she said "That sounds like fun! Let's invite your brother & his wife too!" "Hey wait a minute..." thought to myself :eek:

Waddaya gonna do... so I'm bringing four people with me :) It'll be fun in spite of me!

PTsideshow said:
The hand workbooks are about $60.00 each for printing and binding. Nobody preregistered for it matter a fact there was no interest in it for this year. That's why the notice about contacting Jim for next year.

60 bucks each?
Yikes......

UNIcastings said:
60 bucks each?
Yikes......

The course since it last about 4 days before the show weekend costs something under $200.00 last time since there are meals included and the tickets to the Ford. Like they say there ain't no free lunch ;)

We have rented a big van and 8 of us will be coming form the New England Model Engineering Society. We will drive all day Thursday, leaving Spencer MA about 7AM. That gives us all day Friday to setup, and grab the best bargains as the vendors unload. ;D

I will be doing my CNC seminar on Saturday afternoon. This year Im going to talk about how to use CNC to do model engine parts. It will be an abbreviated version of the day long seminar I did at Cabin fever.

How about a gathering of all the HMEM readers at some time?

I plan on showing up sometime before noon.. I want to go to the sherline seminar at 1pm, then I'll shoot some video of everything and do some shopping.

Two items that may be of interest, for those that are attending the NAMES show.

First is there will be NO table or both set up this year for Consignment Sales

Due to a falling out between the guy that has done it the last few years and the group of Live steamers that he was part of! I have no other info other than he is longer part of or affiliated with that Live steam group.

There will NO SALES ALLOWED @ THE EXHIBITORS TABLES As in all past years due to the laws regarding NON profit orgs in Michigan, There can be no sales by Exhibitors, and the ratio between vendors, and exhibitors has to be maintained along with the sales tax laws etc.

I am working on something for next year. Not enough time to put it together for this one.

The second thing is for any interested people the North America Distributor of the MULTI-PLAZ combo welding/plasma unit. Is coming in from Guatemala. He is the Author of numerous articles in the Village press magazines and George can give his correct name.

He will be demoing the unit at an outside location due to smoke etc.
See those that are coming in two weeks.:D

I plan to be there also. Should be there before noon on friday.

I'm only going to bring a few engines this year and I hope I can find a spot for them when I get there. I remember the days

when space was limited. Anyways, looking forward to visiting with everyone and soaking up the atmosphere. Dave

Since exhibitor set up is on Friday you should not have a problem. The layout and number of exhibitors spaces are the same as at Southgate. I don't know much about stick and ball sports, but the size of all league hockey sheets are the same size. And the areas outside were the boards go is slightly larger.

Thanks PT for a headsup on the amount of spaces available. After a little investigating there sounds like theres been a decline in the number of exhibitors lately at the show. I didn't attend last year for reasons beyond my control so I make this statement on others observations and they may not be correct.

I strongly urge anyone who is on the fence about displaying their models to come and join in the fun. As far as I'm concerned there is no standard that has to be reached to be able to exhibit, only enthusiasm for the hobby is needed. I enjoy all the models displayed, yes there are some that will leave a you in awe and then there will be those that you will say "that is a good place for me to start" and a whole lot more.

But the best is the people you meet. Behind each model is a person with the same interest as you and most generally they are eager to answer any questions you may have. For me, displaying here and elsewhere has allowed me to make many new friends and it also seems to inspire me to do more. Each one of us, from the newbie to the expert can make a positive impact on the visitors to the show.

I have absolutely no affiliation with Names or any of the organizers, but I do appreciate the efforts these folks put into their show. Providing a venue for us to enjoy this hobby and visit with others that are like minded can't be easy. Bring your stuff
and if you can't find any space when you get there, look me up and I'll throw some of mine back in the box so you do. Dave

Biggest problem is some of the older people leave early on Sunday. I understand that in England if you do that you don't get back in the next year. But that has been the biggest problem since I have been volunteering. Since the last show at the Yack till now.
I understand with age comes some limitations about driving and driving at night etc. plus a lot of the wives have about had it by Sunday morning or so a couple have told me ;D!

I understand about the problem driving as my father only will drive when conditions are right during the day and then not far. As I have been driving them most places for about 6 years. It is one of those things that will never be solved to some peoples satisfaction.

As i said they will be a little more room than last year at Southgate since the complete rink boards are to be removed or so we have been told. The ice will also be removed so the rumors I was emailed about putting people on top of the ice, is just more BS.
;)

I have a random question...
I've shot video of the show in general without problem, but can we shoot video of the seminars?

Since the content is owned by the presenter, copyright et all. You will have to check with the presenter. Some don't care if you do, some have other plans for their work.

Mike Remus of the model engine builder magazine has a DVD on the Sherline lathe program he did it is sold under the Sherline brand, He also has a DVD on the use of measuring tools and some of the shop tool newbies may not be familiar with. Wigglers,Edge finders,adjustable parallels etc. shop secrets vol 1. They are the same as his seminars.

It is best to check with the presenter before you start taping.

I remember a couple a number of years ago had a sign up not recording of this seminar.

Latest posts

Back