Pete Menger Model Engine & Hobby Show, Monroeville, IN - October 14, 2023

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlelocos

Littlelocos Model Engrg
HMEM Sponsor
Reaction score
Thought I'd post this here as this show is coming up quickly. The Machinist Group of NE Indiana is holding their show in Monroeville, Indiana Saturday October 14th.
Joy and I will be traveling there from Hagerstown, MD and setting up as vendors. My understanding is that a number of other well known vendors are also planning to come.

For more info, contact [email protected]

They also have a Facebook Group "Indiana Model Engine Show" with up-to-date info. indiana model engine show

https://www.visitfortwayne.com/event/indiana-model-engine-show/40701/
See you there!!
Todd.

P.S. Next years show is already being planned and will be held at the historic National Auto and Truck Museum https://natmus.org in Auburn, IN.

Todd & Joy Snouffer
Littlelocos Model Engineering

Indiana Model Engine Show.jpg

I read in the Zanesville thread that the space for this show is all taken. I had replied early on that I was coming. How do we find out what the status of the space is? I don't want to travel 3.5 hours only to find out there's nowhere to set up.
gbritnell

According to someone I just talked to, they are setting up a tent outside at Monreville, Indiana.

The indoor space is taken and full, not first-come-first serve.

Not sure of the tent size.
Could be a problem if 400 people show up Saturday morning.

Next year they will move the show to a large venue, which may be this place, but check me on that.

https://natmus.org/
October 2024 will be at National Auto & Truck Museum And the dates will be October 12th and 13th with set up on Friday the 11th.

Last edited:
It sure would be nice if someone in the know would respond about space availability. They're either going to have a lot of people or very few like me who don't want to drive 3 hours and find that there's no space available.

This is the response I got from emailing Aaron in regard to space atthe show

"The building is full, plenty of room under or tent. We will find space for everyone. We have space under the covered patio as well. Although I may have found more space in the building. We have room, We will make room."

Aaron

Show less

This will be the my first show as an exhibitor.

Must admit I'm a bit intimidated by what some you true craftsman can do. I'm at the other end of the perfectionist scale, but most of my engines are of my own design and what I display is the prototype engine. (Sometimes it's the only one in existence).

I plan on bringing my water tube boiler. I run my PMR #4 (The big Coke Bottle engine) on it.

So if anyone has built a steam engine and has only run it on compressed air, I'm certainly willing to let you have a go at live steam.

I have a couple of comments in this thread and have a couple of questions. My response from Aaron was the building is full. Full of what, vendors? How could it be full when the show hasn't begun? The forecast is for 50's (f) and 60% rain. So after a longish drive early in the morning I will get to stand in the cold all day to put on a show for people who probably won't come out because of the cold and rain. I don't mean to sound so down about the show but standing in the cold for 7 hours isn't my idea of entertainment. If someone familiar with the show could clarify the arrangements it would make my and others intentions much easier to make.
gbritnell

I have a couple of comments in this thread and have a couple of questions. My response from Aaron was the building is full. Full of what, vendors? How could it be full when the show hasn't begun? The forecast is for 50's (f) and 60% rain. So after a longish drive early in the morning I will get to stand in the cold all day to put on a show for people who probably won't come out because of the cold and rain. I don't mean to sound so down about the show but standing in the cold for 7 hours isn't my idea of entertainment. If someone familiar with the show could clarify the arrangements it would make my and others intentions much easier to make.
gbritnell
Good morning George,
I'll do my best to respond, as Aaron Kohler was kicked off the HMEM Forum after joining and then posting about the show. As of a few weeks ago, the admins weren't responding to his requests to rejoin. :-( (I had posted the flyer before I learned of this.) I don't want to get involved in that, only to explain why Aaron hasn't responded on the forum. Hoping the admins and he can work things out.

Here's my understanding. The show is being held in Monroeville City Park, in a pavillion that is partly enclosed (location of "inside" spaces). The organizers had decided to put the vendors inside and the exhibitors under the pavillion. The vendor area is full (of vendors who have agreed to set up), so they plan to have any others coming to set up in other areas.

The show very quickly outgrew the pavillion, so they ordered a large, heated tent. The tent has plenty of tables and the organizers have repeatedly said they will make space for whoever comes.

This is the 26th-annual show for the Machinist Group of NE Indiana; however, it's the first-annual on their own without being tied to another full-size-antique-engine organization. Given the bad news about the NAMES expo, the Great Lakes region has been left with a void. Unexpectedly, the club holding the show seems to be filling that void. (That's great news, and why Joy and I are travelling 500 miles to support the show.) Next year's show is already being planned and will be indoors at a large auto museum. Hopefully, most of the growing pains this year will be worked out for that show. We're already planning to attend next year's show, as well.

Rain. Yup, it's supposed to rain most of the end of this week and be in the 50s. This will likely dampen the attendance and make the show more difficult for loading and unloading. The tent is to be heated. I think I'd rather have a heated tent in a Fall rain then be in Lebanon, PA, in a January snow storm. :)Been there, done that, and still go back each year.

Hope to see you at the show.
Safe travels to all who are coming.
Todd.

Good morning George,
I'll do my best to respond, as Aaron Kohler was kicked off the HMEM Forum after joining and then posting about the show. As of a few weeks ago, the admins weren't responding to his requests to rejoin. :-( (I had posted the flyer before I learned of this.) I don't want to get involved in that, only to explain why Aaron hasn't responded on the forum. Hoping the admins and he can work things out.

Todd.
Hi Todd.

I don't know...maybe it was my mistake
But I don't see any response to his request to join
Please tell him "I'm sorry about that !"
" and told him to please respond again. Please !
This forum is for everyone .

Thank you Todd!
Had you information come a little sooner it would have negated my somewhat somber response. I will plan on being there. I will try to support this hobby as much as I can.

gbritnell
I had contact with him last week or so. He is getting a huge tent and it will be heated. Should be as warm and dry as a tent can be. Like any other show the door will be open as people come in and out so dress accordingly.

Went to the show yesterday. Had a great day. Dispite a constant rain all day we stayed dry in the tent. Some people said they were cold but I was in a tee shirt all day and felt comfortable. a little disappointing there being 2 different spots but next year that will be rectified in one big building. Will be at the next one for sure. Had to be in the tent or outside to run engines. Couldnt run them in the building. I ask and next year running indoors is going to be allowed.

Last edited:
I am not aware of any issues this site is having with Aaron Kohler; that is news to me.

I too fully support anyone trying to make model engine shows happen, and I can appreciate how difficult it is to set up a show and make it successful.

Latest posts

Back