Hit - Miss Horizontal from Brian's Plans

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More adapting. Now that I have a head with a flat surface I looked around and found some 5/8" square stock and figured I could adapt it for the valve body. Moved the body forward to eliminate the slot to carry the steam to the head and just aligned the hole at the head. Bored it to 1/4" then cross drilled the port for the steam and two mounting holes. I think it looks good. Dirt simple to make. Now on to the valve.

IMG_1484.jpg

IMG_1485.jpg

IMG_1486.jpg

It is always such a cool feeling the first time an engine shows signs of life. I finished the valve body and then made the valve piston yesterday. Got some time this afternoon and made the eccentric and a temporary connecting rod. Temporary because it is just made of threaded rod which made it easy to adjust the length, but also because it will be replaced by the hit-miss governor. Had to hold the air line to the body because I don't have a fitting on it yet. But getting it to run is always exciting. I love the conventional valve Brian designed. Except for the body size and placement, it follows the specs of the valve and timing in his drawings. It was really easy to make and set up.

So here is the first run:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJWASvjrB5Y[/ame]

Thm: way to go m8 Thm:

WOW Its alive before its finished :bow: :bow:

GREAT STUFF

regards
Andy

I have no CAD skills at all, but here is a basic idea of how I built the valve / head. Not all holes are shown on all views to make important features easier to visualize:

valve_hex.jpg

I apologize for coming late to this party. Nice build it is :bow: and I like some of the features you've brought into it. This engine is high on my to do list so I appreciate you sharing the build details.

Cheers,
Phil

Nice build, you answered a question I havent asked yet -does a horizontal need both flywheels- aparently not.
With all of the flat surface area it has it should polish up like a mirror without all of the foul language I use when polishing.
The hex is a nice accent.
-B-

Krown Kustoms said:
-does a horizontal need both flywheels-

Not needed to run, but I am going to use both because when I increased the bore I also increased the piston weight. With the piston and connecting rod I found that I had a lot of mass going back and forth and that created a pretty good shake when the engine is not in the vise. I am going to put some counter weights on the flywheels and I have found that it is best to add to both sides or you just exchange a front to back shake for a side to side shake.

Not much further to go. Made some progress this weekend and tonight. Have most of the parts for the governor done. Had to do almost as much sitting with the drawings, thinking and doing calculations as I did machining. By choosing to use the conventional valve I had to have .300 travel out of the sliding cam / actuator lever. That meant that it needed to be almost 1 inch diameter. So, the valve actuator lever had to be bigger, etc, etc, etc. One nice thing about going to bigger parts is that I was able to use 2-56 screws instead of the 0-80 called for. The piece that has the pivots for the two arms and weights had me worried because I don't have a mill or a proper way to hold round stuff. Had to reposition it a couple of times and was not sure it would all line up. But even with a couple of issues it turned out OK. You can see it in the foreground. Now on to the arms and weights. Then a test assembly to see if it will work.

IMG_1557.jpg

Worked out all the dimensions and changes. Got the rest of the governor built and adjusted. Made some counter weights to bolt onto the flywheels to smooth out the piston. So here is the initial assembly of all the pieces. Now for the clean up and some bling.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rIDte6YCE4[/ame]

Looks great. I'm getting more and more interested in hit-n-miss. I love the sound.

Great build! By the way, I built the original engine with a poppet valve so there wouldn't be any air leakage while the inlet valve is closed. :)

Chuck

cfellows said:
Great build! By the way, I built the original engine with a poppet valve so there wouldn't be any air leakage while the inlet valve is closed. :)Chuck

I kind of figured that was a better way to go after I got this far. ;D I built it first as a conventional engine and the piston valve worked great. Bit more difficult to make it work as a hit and miss, but it did run. Now that the engine is functioning I think I am going to use the engine as a test stand and build the poppet valve and ball valve configurations. Each of these will be new to me and I always like to try to build something I have not yet tried. On this build it was the crankshaft that I had not done before.

Well it has only been 6 months now. :hDe: I finished building the engine but put it on a shelf because I was planning on having a mill and rotary table by the end of the year. So I took it apart and reworked the upright and bearing blocks. I wanted them to be rounded rather than square. Also fixed a couple of minor fit and alignment issues that I was not happy with. So here it is with the parts finished, some paint, and brass all polished up. This is a new color for me. First time to try out a dark green.

IMG_2099.jpg

IMG_2100.jpg

IMG_2102.jpg

........Great job on your "huffer" H&M engine B-Vette. Great camera work as it shows the musuem quality after the build polish and detailing. I've seen those flywheel counterweight overlays on just a few other engines and really like that approach. Thm: Dave.

Back