Building Whittle V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byawor

Reaction score
I have started this engine and have some questions. First the plan calls to modify the glow plugs from 1/4-32 to 3/16 40 dont like that. I will try to modify the head to accept standard plug. To do this I will try the following. Plan calls for the plug hole to be drilled .125 from the face of the head. I will drill it at .160. This will break into the combustion chamber and not break into bottom of the face. Second there is no provision for bronze sears. Dont like the idea of the valves seating on aluminum, so I will try to make the seat and guide all in piece and press fit into the head. Any thoughts?
Bob

I built this engine last year.
Modifying the plugs was a lot more straightforward than I imagined it might be.
At this scale, seating the valves directly in the heads is not a problem. The forces are very small and the biggest issue with heat is keeping it in, rather than moving it away.
I did make a few modifications to the design, including the head gasket arrangement.
Pete.

3/16-40 is the same as #10-40 and is a standard size. They are available by rimfire. Should be no issues.
Sorry Steve but these two threads are not the same on two counts. 3/16 is 0.187 and no 10 is 0.192. 3/16 x 40 is 55deg and no 10 x40 is 60 deg. not much but in these small sizes VERY important.

Sorry Steve but these two threads are not the same on two counts. 3/16 is 0.187 and no 10 is 0.192. 3/16 x 40 is 55deg and no 10 x40 is 60 deg. not much but in these small sizes VERY important.
I was speaking to the interchangeability of the 2. One could be used in place of the other as they are only a few thousands apart.

I miss took the intention of the thread change and assumed it was to change from glow to plug. My apologies.

Thanks for the link, I have never seen that website and have trouble navigating it. Can someone explain how to find the file with "revised" drawings
Bob

Latest posts

Back