Hit - Miss Horizontal from Brian's Plans

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black85vette

Reaction score
First thing I'll say is that I rarely follow plans exactly. So it is with this project. I will substitute stock I have on hand that will do rather than buy more. Part of this is because I usually order enough for 4 or 5 projects and just pay for one shipping cost. Therefore I have a bunch of good useful sizes available.

Got my start yesterday. Printed out all the plans so I can have them on the bench. Got out all the stock that looked promising and here is my starting point:

Have a nice piece of round 3" aluminum which means the flywheels will be 3". Have some 1/4" aluminum and 1/2" aluminum but no big pieces so the frame will be 3 parts instead of milled from a single piece. The other reason for using 3 pieces is that I don't have a real mill. Just a milling attachment for the lathe. I try to keep milling to a minimum.

One piece you will see in the picture is an aluminum tube that is 1.5" OD and 1" ID. It was left over from a project I did for my department at work. Thinking I could save a good bit of time on the lathe, I am using it pretty much as is. I will just bore the cylinder to make it round and smooth.

I did a rough cut of the frame and cylinder and did a mock up and the proportions look OK.

IMG_1418.jpg

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg

This afternoon I got the pieces machined to size, most of the holes drilled and tapped. This is what the frame is going to look like. The two side pieces are 1/2" and should probably be 3/8", but I used what I had rather than order more. That and the larger cylinder dictated a wider frame. I went with 2" wide since I had some 1/4" x 2" aluminum for the upright piece. That leaves me with 1" on the inside which should be fine for the crank shaft. The screws I am using are 3-48 and once again it is because I had about 15 of them from a previous order.

Had 2 of the grandkids over today so I didn't get as much done (at least in the shop). Think I will get the flywheels done next since they are pretty easy. Then tackle the crank which I have never done before. May take a couple attempts, I don't know.

So here is the first fit of the parts.

IMG_1453.jpg

IMG_1455.jpg

IMG_1455.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

That's coming together quickly 'vette and looking good 8)

CC

Managed to squeeze in some shop time. Had another pair of grandkids over today so work in the shop was during naps and after they went home. Got the flywheels made. (see pic) Couldn't fit my boring bar tools in the opening and make the 1/4" deep recess on the inside of the wheel. So I got out some HSS 1/4" stock and made a couple of cutters that made the job much easier.

Also got the crank lay out done and will cut and drill on it next.

IMG_1459.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

woohoo1

Well I got the crank done in one evening and in one try. No need to bore you with long descriptions or many pictures because basically I did it just the way Brian showed in his build of this engine. I reviewed the pictures and steps a couple of times today. So you can go over there for the how to. Thanks again Brian! :bow:

Here is the result:

IMG_1468.jpg

Made and mounted the supports for the crank. Decided to put in brass bushings with a flange on the inside to set the space for the crank. I was looking at Chuck's posts and wanted to do bearings but didn't have any that would fit and didn't want to wait until I found some. I did determine that the frame will need to be a 4 piece frame. The crank end has too much flex and will require a spacer to keep things stable and parallel.

I think the piston and connecting rod need to be next. At least I can sit and spin the flywheels and watch stuff move while I wait for it to be finished. ;D

IMG_1471.jpg

IMG_1471.jpg

Got the connecting rod and piston made. Piston is a little too tight in the cylinder so there is still some to be done. Better than too loose I guess. Decided again to deviate from the plans. Since I do not have a milling machine, turning the connecting rod was my choice. I put the crank end in the 4 jaw and supported the piston end with a live center. Worked out well. Learned this from one of Elmer's engines.

IMG_1474.jpg

BV85,

Great work. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Rolland said:
looking good , its fun to build and watch run. Are you going to use the governor?

That is my plan. Governor will be last. Head and valve are up next. This engine is sort of a practice run at this type of engine with the hopes of doing an internal combustion like the Farm Boy next.

Time to get the set screws into the flywheels. I have almost always put them at an angle. Here is how I did this one. Mounted the flywheel in my milling attachment and worked out the angle I wanted. Started with a 1/8" end mill just to give me an nice flat spot to work with. Then used a center drill to get the hole started. Swapped that with the drill bit for the tap and then put the tap in the chuck. At that point I just get the tap started a few turns and then pull it out, dismount the flywheel and finish the job with the tap and T handle on the bench.

IMG_1477.jpg

IMG_1478.jpg

Hi black85vette
Just watching your progress on your engine. It is coming along just fine. I beleive that the operation of milling a flat spot on the hub of your flywheel is called Spot Facing (for imformational purposes only).
Billmc

Bill Mc said:
Hi black85vette
Just watching your progress on your engine. It is coming along just fine. I beleive that the operation of milling a flat spot on the hub of your flywheel is called Spot Facing (for imformational purposes only).
Billmc

Thanks. Machinist terminology is an area where I am not proficient. Not sure I will ever get there. I am now of the opinion that for every new fact I learn another one has to go away to make room for the new one. Problem is that I don't get to choose which fact goes away. Sometimes it is important stuff!

black85vette said:
Thanks. Machinist terminology is an area where I am not proficient. Not sure I will ever get there. I am now of the opinion that for every new fact I learn another one has to go away to make room for the new one. Problem is that I don't get to choose which fact goes away. Sometimes it is important stuff!

Your coming along nicely, and don't worry about the terminology it will come...

Slight change in direction. My friend and I build hotrods on Thur nights at his shop and he sometimes brings me scrap pieces from his work. He had an end piece of some 1 5/8ths inch brass hex rod. I brought it home and sure enough it was just right for the head on the engine. This works out also because I was going to make the valve assembly separate from the head anyway and this gives me a nice flat vertical surface to attach the valve assembly to.

Here is the head and the rest of the piece my friend gave me:

IMG_1483.jpg

Back