Hello from Motown

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackG

Reaction score
It just occurred to me that while I have been reading (and adding a few posts) this forum for a bit over a year, I’ve never really introduced myself.

My name is Jack, and I’m a retired software engineer. I retired from HP about a year ago where I worked on developing production monitoring and control (PM&C) software for use in General Motors assembly plants. I live in (where else) the metro Detroit, Michigan area.

I’ve always loved engine and motors. Probably inherited that trait from my grandfather who worked in the power house at the Ford Highland Park plant (where they made the Model T). In fact, every time I go to the Henry Ford Museum and see the big Corliss engine from the Highland Park plant I wonder which of the bolts on it he tightened.

I’ve been building small “steam” engines for a bit over 10 years using a Sherline lathe and mill. Still consider myself a novice, especially when compared to some of the beautiful work I see posted here and in person at the NAMES show. I just finished Rudy Kouhoupt’s Radial Five, and before that it was a Chuck Fellows’ air hit & miss engine – Thanks Chuck, I had a ball building it.

If I can dig up a set of plans I’d like to try my hand at a small gas hit & miss engine, maybe a Phil Duclos “Odds & Ends” engine or something else on the small side. However, the next project is probably a Bernay.

Jack

Hi Jack

Welcome aboard -

??? So Wheres the pix

I look forward to seeing some of your work

Bez

Hi Jack!

Welcome aboard, even if it is a bit belated... ;D

During your travels through the site you must have seen something similar to this:

"No pics, it never happened!"

Hope to see some of your work soon!

Andrew

Here are some photos

DSC_0011a.jpg

DSC_0002a.jpg

DSC_0008a.jpg

DSC_0012a.jpg

And a few of Elmer’s creations

DSC_0019a.jpg

>>> What part of Mo town are you from?

Pleasant Ridge (10 mile and Woodward).

Also, thanks for correcting my spelling of Motown - That one slipped right by me. :)

Latest posts

Back