Goin' Crackers.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking VERY nice Vernon!
Regards, Arnold

arnoldb said:
Looking VERY nice Vernon!
Regards, Arnold
Thanks, I hope the tubing I used (.375") isn't too big. It sure seems like this style burner radiates a LOT more heat than an open, straight, flame... so, if it has enough room in the flue to burn, I'm going to be happy. ;D

Vernon,
very nice. you will have to post how that burner works and of course drawings for us who like to copy

great work!
with the punch, did you have to heat the part up befor hitting it?

Vernon said:
Thanks, I hope the tubing I used (.375") isn't too big. It sure seems like this style burner radiates a LOT more heat than an open, straight, flame... so, if it has enough room in the flue to burn, I'm going to be happy. ;D

You're WAY ahead of me - I need to study up on burners etc. (Only burners I know are on my cooker- need those to get grub ;) )
From the looks of those burners, they should make a nice bunch of flames though :)
Regards, Arnold

Speedy said:
with the punch, did you have to heat the part up befor hitting it?

No, I didn't even anneal the copper this time. Just tapped on them a bit, to raise the center, then filed away the name stamped into the top, and continued punching them into shape. Quick and easy. Any imperfections in the pocket will show up on the parts, so keep it smooth. ;D

arnoldb said:
You're WAY ahead of me - I need to study up on burners etc. (Only burners I know are on my cooker- need those to get grub ;) )
From the looks of those burners, they should make a nice bunch of flames though :)
Regards, Arnold

Thanks! But... I'm just copying stuff I've seen, and guessing the rest.
I might need to open the holes up more, I won't really know until I've made a jet holder and tried them. I may end up scrapping these, who knows. ;D

Instead of working on anything yesterday, I spent the morning goofing off testing both Crackers by running them on a hand-held torch. The second Cracker hasn't been run with the new piston and cylinder, until now.

Ok, really, I just wanted a cool "Cracker Moves" video like everyone else. ;D

I had to edit together several runs, because Cracker #1 insisted on stopping, usually at the far side of the track, whenever I pointed a camera at it. Stubborn thing.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycz8F3p2fiM[/ame]

Around and around, and around again, I think I'm getting dizzy and may............ :toilet: urrpppp! Oh, terribly sorry. I forgot to take my Dramamine this morning. ;D Way cool little runner. I have been mulling over yet another variation on a theme for this one in my head. This will be neat to see it running on that great looking burner you have started.

BC1
Jim

bearcar1 said:
Around and around, and around again, I think I'm getting dizzy and may............ :toilet: urrpppp! Oh, terribly sorry. I forgot to take my Dramamine this morning. ;D Way cool little runner.

Thanks... I think! ;D Somebody get a mop!

bearcar1 said:
I have been mulling over yet another variation on a theme for this one in my head.
Haha, do it! I've considered variations too. These Crackers have gotten me hooked, I'm going to be building more Locos after this, I'm sure.
I've already printed plans for three more; D.Newman's "Simple Steam Loco", Watkin's deWinton "Idris", and Erik-Jan Stroetinga's "Dacre"...and then there's Keith Bucklitch's Brazil-class, J.P Duval's loco, etc. Today, a guy at work walked up and told me I should build a coal-burner! :eek:

The Cracker is the VW Bug of live steam locomotives. :bow:

Vernon, I can only imagine how thrilled you were to see those little buggers running around the track. I will bet the only one that will be more thrilled than you is your dad when you present him with his engine.

Will follow this build until the end.

putputman said:
I will bet the only one that will be more thrilled than you is your dad when you present him with his engine.

No doubt! He knows I'm building one for him, so it won't be a surprise, but it's something I HAD to do. ;D He started my interest in all things mechanical, some of the first books I remember reading were his set of Popular Mechanics Do-It-Yourself encyclopedias, a book called "The How and Why of Mechanical Movements", and assorted service manuals.

It wasn't until a month ago, that I found out/realized that the big ol' model train layout he built in the basement when I was 5 years old, he made 3 feet off the ground so I could see and use it. I never thought about HOW I was able to see it. ;D

Vernon said:
Thanks... I think! ;D Somebody get a mop!

Haha, do it! I've considered variations too. These Crackers have gotten me hooked, I'm going to be building more Locos after this, I'm sure.
I've already printed plans for three more; D.Newman's "Simple Steam Loco", Watkin's deWinton "Idris", and Erik-Jan Stroetinga's "Dacre"...and then there's Keith Bucklitch's Brazil-class, J.P Duval's loco, etc. Today, a guy at work walked up and told me I should build a coal-burner! :eek:

The Cracker is the VW Bug of live steam locomotives. :bow:
Yeah, these things are silly fun to watch run around in circles. ;D ;D

Sometimes I'd only stop when I ran out of butane or distilled water, and work definately slowed down on the project.

If you're getting a lap plus with no burner, you're doing well. "Another one" is on my short list as well.

Vernon said:
Thank you, everyone, for the comments. ;D You guys make this even more fun, especially on those days that I don't see any progress.

I may change burner designs before I finish the current experiment, and try this: http://www.southernsteamtrains.com/notes/radiantpokerburners.htm
I considered that for a while, but in the end didn't end up needing it (or really having room for it-- IIRC your flue is a little larger). I also thought about stuffing a coil of nichrome wire in the end of the flue to capture some of the escaping heat and redirect it into the boiler, but didn't like the idea of a really hot bit of nichrome not far from the butane tank when refilling.

shred said:
...but didn't like the idea of a really hot bit of nichrome not far from the butane tank when refilling.
Yeah, sounds like a glowplug to me. ;D

Speaking of safety, I got a new pressure gauge, and re-tested my boilers. Well, ONE of them, at the moment... I'm waiting for the pump to leak down.

After hearing more about how hard silver-soldering is, I'm sure I must have done something wrong with mine. I didn't NEED to build a firebox of bricks, was the solder melting point too low, with just a dull red glow to the copper to melt it?

Anyway, with a gauge that reads higher than 60PSI, and with Goodall valve in place, I just pressurized one of the boilers again. No leaks, no pop.
NoPop001.jpg

No wonder I sprung my first gauge, that pump puts out a LOT more pressure than I thought.... but I had no way of measuring it, before now.
That Goodall valve holds a LOT more pressure than I expected, too. I expected to get squirted.

Edit: Yes, the Harbor Freight gauge says " 125 PSI 'MIX' " on it. ::) Nifty.

Vernon! Great progress.
For me, this would be a most dangerous point in the project. Once I see something work or run (i.e. know I can do it)...I quit and go on to the next one. Your advantage is building one for your Dad.

zeeprogrammer said:
Once I see something work or run (i.e. know I can do it)...I quit and go on to the next one.

I have the same problem. Most my engines only ever run once, then I start in the next.
I restored a Model T, once it was done, it sits. Anyone need an antique car ?

zeeprogrammer said:
Vernon! Great progress.
For me, this would be a most dangerous point in the project. Once I see something work or run (i.e. know I can do it)...I quit and go on to the next one. Your advantage is building one for your Dad.

Zeep! Welcome back, and thanks! No worries here, I've never done the brasswork I'm about to do for the cabs, coal bunkers, and water tanks...and besides I want finish them and see how theyperform!
Yes, building one for my dad helps a lot, though. :D

BMyers said:
I have the same problem. Most my engines only ever run once, then I start in the next.
I restored a Model T, once it was done, it sits. Anyone need an antique car ?
BMyers, the Model T sounds great! But, I've got my '62 bug I need to go through again. ;D I miss driving it.

As far as model engines, mine get lots of running time, look at that scruffy old Stirling I posted. :D

Latest posts

Back