Building Hit or Miss Claire Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indexer and Screw beside dime for size comparison.

Caam23.jpg

Indexer before deburring.

Caam24.jpg

The dividing head is removed from the vertical miller. Mr Bridgeport vise is now installed to complete some milling operations. In this picture I am working on the Exhaust Cam Governor.

Caam25.jpg

Closeup of section on the Governor to be removed.

Caam26.jpg

One leg milled.

Caam27.jpg

Edge finder being used to pickup the hole location for a spring nest.

Caam28.jpg

5/32 End mill cuts spring nest in Governor.

Caam29.jpg

Milling on this part complete.

Caam30.jpg

Complete Cam and Governor before deburring and polishing. A small spring will be placed between the two parts. Jack B

Caam32.jpg

Drilling threaded holes at 15 degrees in the Fly Wheel. Small vise containing a 3/8 pin is set on angle

Caam35.jpg

Edge finder is used to pickup center of pin.

Caan36.jpg

Short center drill and tap drill are removed from their sleves and replaced with longer ones.

Caam37.jpg

Tap hole is center drilled. Card board is used so clamp will not mar Wheel. This clamp was a project I did my first year at Vocational School. This was in 1949 grade 11.

Caam38.jpg

Tapping 8-32 threaded hole for set screw. I am using my spring loaded tap guide to do a total of four holes

Caam39.jpg

I forgot to mention I use the Kool-Tool shown in the picture for tapping. Everybody has their favorite this is mine. To hot to work in the shop last couple of days so I am catching up on four acres of grass cutting. Jack B.

Jack B said:
I forgot to mention I use the Kool-Tool shown in the picture for tapping. Everybody has their favorite this is mine. To hot to work in the shop last couple of days so I am catching up on four acres of grass cutting. Jack B.

Jack,

That is entirely to much grass for a man to cut. How about getting a cow or goat to handle it for you.

SAM

SAM in LA said:
Jack,

That is entirely to much grass for a man to cut. How about getting a cow or goat to handle it for you.

SAM
Hi Sam: I just bought a 27 HP Garden Tractor with a 52 inch deck. I love to mow the grass and it takes about 2 1/2 hours to do two acres. I could do it faster but I like to take my time.
In the winter I have a 600 foot drive way that I clear of snow. That also will be done with a 42 inch snow blower mounted on my garden tractor. After 16 years of use I wore my last tractor out a few weeks ago. I wear a snow mobile suit in the winter when snow blowing and stay outside for hours just enjoying it as much as grass cutting. After 43 years of teaching and working in the machinist trade this is how I spend my retirement. I also love working on the little models we like to make in my shop. In our spare time my wife and I ride around in our 1928 Model A Ford that we rebuilt. Jack B

The weather got a little cooler around here so I was able to work for a couple of days in the shop. Most of the parts are done but there still are things to do. The only major part is the Fuel Tank. The little Ratchet under the Carburetor seems to function like it should when I turn the Fly Wheel by hand. Jack

Caam40.jpg

Lookin Good Jack Thm: Thm:

Your almost there it looks like.

Kel

Kel.Nick and carl
Thanks for your interest. I don't think I will get back into the shop until after the Labor day weekend. I will post if I get anything done.
Jack B

Back on page 9 of this build Maryak (Bob) and I were having a discussing about the construction of the Needle Valve. The plans called for soldering and neither one of us were keen on that process. So the question of whether or not we should go with this on our respective builds was brought up for discussion. No one replied so my solution was to forget soldering and go with a mechanical solution. I added length to the brass Knob and changed the through hole to a blind hole. I ground a flat on the Needle and secured it with a 4-40 setscrew.

Nev1.jpg

This shows the Needle Valve inserted into the Carburetor Jet. Jack B

Nev2.jpg

Jack,

Neat and elegant solution to our problem. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

I was able to get some time in the shop today. I started on the tank. That is a one inch reamer.

Tk44.jpg

Picture shows the base and tank under construction. No dimensions were giving for the tank unit so I am winging it. Jack B

Tk45.jpg

Making the end piece for the Fuel Tank. The aluminum strips are to prevent jaw marks.

Bw46.jpg

Making a 3/8 24 fine thread on the Tank Filler Neck. The handles on the die stock were made in a small experimental shop where I worked years ago. I was the only machinist with three assemblers and three engineers. The company sent the wrong stock so the handles were scrap. I made two size die wrenches for everybody from the handles. From then on they didn't have to borrow mine.

Bw47.jpg

Two pair of glasses to see the small dial lines. That's because I turn 77 years old tomorrow. But I can still hold my tolerances yet. Jack B

Bw48.jpg

Latest posts

Back