Building Hit or Miss Claire Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Needle valve and Carburetor Jet finished except for soldering a #8 .050 Darning needle which I have to locate in the Needle Valve.

Er53.jpg

Jack,

A fine looking engine. :bow: :bow:

Do you intend to use soft or hard solder for the needle valve. ??? I have used soft solder in the past but I can't say it was all that great with stainless steel. On my roundtuit list is replacing with hard solder. Please let me know how you do it.

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Bob The reason why my needle is not soldered in is because I wasn't sure if I would do it. I am glad you said something about the soft solder because that is all I have and I am eliminating that right now. I have had Model A Fords circa 1928 to 1930 since the 1970s. I have rebuilt several engines completely including the carburetors. The fuel system on these cars are gravity feed. The don't have a fuel pump so basically it's the same type engine I am building. There are two needle valves on a Model A carburetor. The smaller of the two in the picture is the idle valve. It is solid brass. The other one is the high speed valve. The point is held in a collet set up. The point on this one seals in a aluminum hole and the point on the shorter solid brass one seals in a brass hole. I think this may be a better system. But tomorrow I am going to stop by the MSC Industrial store and find out what they have in hard solder. Then I will make the decision to use solder or change the design a little bit. I also thought of drilling and tapping for a small set screw from the side of the Needle Valve Body. Here is a picture of the three Needle Valves. Jack

Er54.jpg

Thanks Jack,

Just had another thought and that's one over my weekly quota but what about locktite. ???

Come on you carby wiz's help us out here or I may end up using the b..b..b..buy word.

Best Regards
Bob

I am making the valves from drill rod.

Va5.jpg

The blanks still need to be cut to length and lapped. I need two the third is just an extra one. I needed to take the snowblower off the tractor and put the mower on. Then I cut four acres of grass. Didn't leave any time for much shop work. Jack B

Va6.jpg

Progress report on Exhaust and Intake System. I have been winding springs, lapping valves and making a series of small parts for the Ex. & In System. They are all straight forward machining so I didn't bother to document their build. There are still several parts to be made for this section. It has turned out to be a very interesting project.
Jack B

Er61.jpg

Jack, Glad to hear your still at it. Its gettin real close now.

Kel

Jack,

Almost there. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Kel---Zee----And Bob
As you said I do feel like I am in the home strech. However there are some tricky parts still to make
Jack

This is another part for the Intake & Exhaust System. This one starts out as a rectangle shape block of CRS.

Piv1.jpg

Here is the finished part. It is called the Governor Pivot Arm. I have to make a simple bushing to attach it to the engine. I will try to make it tomorrow or Saturday and post a picture of it on the engine. This was an extremely difficult part to make. They were many setups. I also found the drawing very complex and hard to visualized. Jack B

Piv2.jpg

Good Work Jack. That part is very complex. I can only imagine how long it took. Well Done Thm:

Kel

Hi Kel
I worked on it on and off for four different days. I put the drawing in my scanner and made it larger. That helped some but I needed more. I turned the drawing inside out and that helped a lot. Last night I thought I had it all figured out but this morning I saw I was wrong. I worked on it all day taking very light cuts with a 1/8 diameter cutter so it wouldn't fly out of the vise. I was finally done about 2 PM today. I thrive on challenges and this was one. Jack

Jack B.,

Your correct, that is one complex part to machine. It would be difficult for me to wrap my mind around the drawing to visualize the machining steps involved. Very impressive. Keep up the good work.

SAM

Jack B said:
This is another part for the Intake & Exhaust System. This one starts out as a rectangle shape block of CRS.

Piv1.jpg

Here is the finished part. It is called the Governor Pivot Arm. I have to make a simple bushing to attach it to the engine. I will try to make it tomorrow or Saturday and post a picture of it on the engine. This was an extremely difficult part to make. They were many setups. I also found the drawing very complex and hard to visualized. Jack B

Piv2.jpg

Hi Sam
Thank you very much for the encouragement I started another exotic part today. I will have pictures this week. Jack B

Jack,

You are following in George's footsteps making complex parts from solid. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Bob
Thank You very much for this wonderful complement. However I know I don't come anywhere near George's high level of work.
I started work on the two sided Governor Exhaust Cam Unit today and hope to make some good progress tomorrow.
Jack B

I have been away from this project for a while because of different reasons.
The next part is The Governor Exhaust Cam Unit. I found this part to be very difficult to visualize and machine. This picture shows the blank being turned in the Clausing lathe. I made an extra one and needed it.

To1.jpg

I don't have a rotary table so I mounted a jig plate I used on my last project in a old four jaw chuck. The chuck screws on to the spindle of the old K & T dividing head and this becomes my rotary table. The whole setup goes on my old Index verticle miller. Everything is trued to dead center.

Aat1.jpg

I am drilling for two 8-32 holes in the part and the plate. They will be used for holding and orientation.

To2.jpg

Tapping the holder plate that has been centered on the dividing head.

To3.jpg

I made a scribing tool out of a broken end mill to draw the angle lines.

To4.jpg

Cutting the sixty two degree cam.

To5.jpg

Now I am machining the cam on the opposite side keeping them both in orientation with each other.

To7.jpg

Finish machining this side. All that is left is to drill and tap three small holes. I will try to post the completed part tomorrow. Jack B

To8.jpg

Back