Building Hit or Miss Claire Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two quick shots of the Governor Exhaust Cam Unit. I put the micrometer in to give an indication of scale. This is the Cam side of the unit. I still have a few small holes to put in this unit.

Caam1.jpg

This is the Governor side of the unit. During machining these two sides were kept in perfect relationship with each other. A half moon shaped swinging piece will attached here to control the RPM's of the engine. Jack B

Caam2.jpg

This is the blank for The Governor Weight. Two angles and a !/8 ream hole on an angle must be laid out in one set up. Easy to do with my home made scribe and K & T dividing head. I have not shifted my milling table dials or my dividing head dials. So it was easy to bring the set up 3/8 hole back on zero center. Jack B

Caam3.jpg

The white cut out piece of paper shows the red part of the Weight that will be removed.

Caam4.jpg

This is the dial I work with on my K & T dividing head. One complete turn of this dial equals a movement of 9 degrees on the dividing head. I know that this is a huge piece of equiptment and there are parts missing. It was on it's way to the scrapper and the man who owned it asked me if I wanted it. The first job I did with it several years ago was to remachine a spline shaft for a Caterpillar tractor transmision. It was hardened steel and required a 1/8 carbide endmill. It took me over a week to do it and the matching spline plate fit it perfect when I took my last cut. The minute you turn the crank you can feel the quarlity built in the K & T.
I only had a short time in the shop today so I didn't get much done.

Caam5.jpg

The angle lines for the cut out on the Weight is drawn. Now the 1/8 ream hole is being center drilled on a 45 degree angle.

Caam6.jpg

The 1/8 ream hole in the Weight is being drilled and reamed on my old Buffalo drill press.

Caam7.jpg

The 2-56 threaded hole in the Governor Exhaust Unit was also positioned and center drilled in the K & T dividing head. It will line up with the 1/8 ream hole in the Weight. Jack B

Caam8.jpg

I have put the K & T dividing head in horizontal mode to make the Indexer. I have turned a blank to fit the set up plate that is already mounted on the four jaw chuck. This plate turns my dividing head into a rotary table. Now it's being used as a dividing head again. I have to cut an octagon on the blank as well as eight evenly spaced ratchet teeth.

Caam11.jpg

Caam10 Here is a close up of my set up to make the Indexer. Thr dividing head was trued up with indicators. Jack B

Caam12.jpg

Using my edge finder to find center and start position. You can see the shape of the part on the print.

Caam13.jpg

The two end slots are first. 3/16 endmill. Very light nibble cuts in the center. Then index dividing head 90 degrees. Everything going good so far. Jack B

Caam14.jpg

Eight saw teeth are next. This type of milling takes a while. The edge of the face of the cutter must be exactly on center. The red marks on the plate were for positioning on another job. Jack B

Caam15.jpg

Hi Jack

I've been on the lookout for an IC engine to build, and last week Phil Duclos's "Maveric" caught my eye as a potential build. When I saw the indexer plans and your last couple of photos I thought it looked familiar, so I went back to the start of your thread and saw that it is indeed the Maveric you're building.

Keep up the good work; I'll be following your progress!

Regards, Arnold

Hi Arnold: You are right this build is the Maverick by Phil Duclos. This is my second engine. My first was a horizontal steam engine. Video Nov. 21 2009 on this site.
I found the Maverick to be more difficult to understand the drawings and to machine the parts.
I live in Massachusetts and this July we have had a severe heat wave. My shop is heated for the winter and is usually pleasant to work in during the summer. But this year it has been very humid so I had to cut my time for working on this project. I will keep posting as I go along. Thanks for commenting on my build. Jack B

I am now producing an eight sided octagon. It is slightly wider then the finish size.

Caam16.jpg

Close up of cuts.

Caam17.jpg

Finished Indexer before being cut off in lathe.

Caam18.jpg

Start of Indexer Screw.

The weather is still extremely hot and humid so I am working short bursts in the shop.

Caam19.jpg

Three diameters completed. It will also have a 5-40 thread.

Caam20.jpg

In order to cut the screw driver slot with a hack saw the screw is held in a toolmakers ball.

Caam21.jpg

Indexer Cam in position under Exhaust Valve. Weather temperature still very hot. One hour is enough to work.

Caam22.jpg

Well Whaddayaknow---I was just asking about the Maverick engine this afternoon. I didn't know that there was one being built on this same forum. Now I will have to read it all and follow along!!!---Brian

Hi Brian: This is an interesting engine to build. It has been very changeling on the machining part. This is my first IC engine so I am feeling my way along.
Anyway welcome to my build I hope you find it interesting. I have slowed down because of the heat wave we have had here. Us older machinists (76) have to take it easy on the hot days. Jack

Donrecardo said:
Is there another kind ? ???

Yup! Could be: Hi Don

If I miss my mark as I count my turns on the old K & T it's possible to get an extra side. But as it turned out I got the usual 8. Jack B

Latest posts

Back