Beginnings of my oiler design

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a spring that keeps the needle valve closed when the cam is flipped? I'm the one who would like drawings from youtube. I found them thanks.

Yes I used a spring from an old pen it goes under the knurled adjusting screw. Sorry about not getting back with you did you get the drawings with all the parts or just the assembly?

This oiler has worked flawlessly since it was built I'm panning on building 4 more of them. I like how they turned out.

View attachment ADJUSTABLE DRIP OILER.pdf

Yes I used a spring from an old pen it goes under the knurled adjusting screw. Sorry about not getting back with you did you get the drawings with all the parts or just the assembly?

This oiler has worked flawlessly since it was built I'm panning on building 4 more of them. I like how they turned out.
Very awesome thanks. I'll order the materials I need right away. One question though, what is this piece?

thingamajig.jpg

Very awesome thanks. I'll order the materials I need right away. One question though, what is this piece?
I make them from a piece of shim stock it to keep adjusting screw set by adding friction I cut and form to rub the adjusting screw. I really should add the flat pattern to the drawing for it. If you want I could create a PDF of the flat pattern for it.

I see it now. Thanks. I don't think I will need a pattern but if you have one already made, sure.

Question for the group. I want to make four of these and replace the oil cups on my lathe. How can I drill and tap the holes to mount these and keep the crap out of the bearings without having to removing the spindle? Or should I save the operation for when I do the rebuild? The oil cups that are on there now are a press fit.

Thanks, I just needed a general shape. I don't have a cnc, just a jewelers frame and a file. I'll probably make a press brake style bender for the curl. I think I am going to make that part out of something springy, or, I might just make it for decoration drill shallow holes in the adjuster and insert tiny pieces of nylon in the holes to make it a nylock kind of thing.
Anyway, thanks for the great inspiration.

You are welcome if you need any dims clarified just let me know I have CAD models that I can get dim's from.

I just came across this thread while researching what type of drip oiler I might like to place on a small lathe I just picked up. Are all of the drawings for this oiler available somewhere? I tried sending a PM to doc1955, but he does not accept PM's. I like the oiler and wouldn't mind making a couple, but it would be easier to have the drawings to work from.

Regards,
Jeremy

Actually, I failed to scroll down in the ADJUSTABLE DRIP OILE pdf. Didn't see the second page. Looks complete.

Regards,
Jeremy

Yes, thanks from me as well. Neglected to state that in my last post.

Regards,
Jeremy

Doc, I just finished the Phil Dulcos 6 strokes like yours.
I like to compare notes.

The governor balls fly open at too low a speed, lower that the engine is capable to run at.
I plan to make a stronger spring and aluminum balls but like to know how yours does hit and miss.

Power seems to be very low and does not tolerate to many too often misses before dieing.

I modified mine to increase the compression ratio before calculations on the original design yielded a ridiculous low number. There is a lot of dead volume in the valve cavity and ducts.

How did you set the cam?

Back