Beginnings of my oiler design

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc1955

Gone
Reaction score
I started playing with a design for a oiler not sure how the original old Lunkenheimer Oiler works. I have never studied one but this will be my take on it. I had been meaning to replace the oil cup on my hit miss engines with something like this. I have most of it modeled up. It will be a little project I'll start after I finish my current build.
What do you think will it work?
I have a little work to yet do to model add a jam nut an oil fill passage or cap and a keeper to keep adjuster from moving once set.

oilerfull.jpg

that looks like it should work fine but i was wondering if you were going to put a drip sight glass on the bottom?

chuck

Thanks Chuck

Yes I was going to add it I was just messing around with some thoughts and what I have so far is just my first rendition. I'm sure I'll change a few things before I get it built.

Thanks Pat J
I still need to figure out a fill port and cap. I was thinking maybe use a ball type fitting for filling.
You know I've seen these type oilers but never took the time to actually study them. Next time I get close to one you can bet I'll take a close look to see if I'm even close with my concept. I like playing with cad modeling so I like looking at some thing and then trying to model up my vision of it. To me it is a challenge that I enjoy.

Played with it a little before heading out to the shop. Added a friction keeper and the drip sight under oiler.
oiler3.jpg

When I get it the way I think it should be I'll do a set of drawings for it.

looks pretty good to me . does need a filler hole and dust cover.
I have a pair on my SB9 do you need a photo? mine are smaller.
Tin

Can't possibly work - there is no pin holding the cam block to the needle!

Rof} Just kiddin' Doc - it looks good to me!

Thanks for the pictures Pat I'm kind of surprised that the concept is close to what I have.

Thanks Tin I am thinking of maybe a port with a swing cover riveted in place for fill hole. These will be pretty small. I attached a pdf of what I have so far.

Thanks Tel pin? what pin? :big:
Off subject hows the weather where you are? According to the weather on television parts of the land down under are in for some ugly weather.

View attachment oiler3.pdf

Reactions: gus
That looks like a proper oiler, Doc. An adjustable on/off and a sight hole so you know it's actually 'oiling'.
Very good.

Thanks Tel pin? what pin? big laugh
Off subject hows the weather where you are? According to the weather on television parts of the land down under are in for some ugly weather.

:( 40°C yesterday and more of the same for the rest of the week, according to the bureau. 'bout as ugly as it gets IMO.

Yes thats pretty warm 104F I'm sweating just thinking about that! They were saying that there was a sever storm headed for Australia with hurricane force winds. It only got to about -9F or -23C today for the high.

Well I have ordered glass tube for the oilers that I want to build to add to my hit miss engines. Should be able to start on them Saturday the order was shipped today so it should make it by Friday. Been meaning to do this for some time now.

I've done a little on my oiler design between working on some Weeden boilers and working on a Atkinson cycle engine model.

Here my inspector is checking progress to see if he approves or not.
1oiler.jpg

2oiler.jpg

3oiler.jpg

He says its a go whats left is the top on off leaver and a fill hole and cover. Plus a bottom half with a witness sight to make sure things are working as designed to.

Well I finished up my oiler design and tested it. I have designed it with 2 settings one for slow drip and one for a little faster drip and of coarse off. I will make a witness port mount for it to mount on my 6 cycle engine. Then I think since it seems to work very good and be fully adjustable I'm going to start 6 or 7 more ( I think I have enough glass tube).
Here is a picture of it and a short video of how it works. The off is leaver all the way in one direction then slow drip straight up and fast drip all the way opp of off position.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdwXVCwLtL0[/ame]

oiler1.jpg

Made up the mount tube with the witness ports.
I got it mounted to my 6 cycle engine and am happy with it.
I now have to determine the speed of drips required to keep motor lubed with out drowning it in oil.
I'm not sure at what that consists of any suggestion would be appreciated I've always just used a white gas and 2 cycle oil mix. Or should I just continue to use a pre mix I'd like to do away with the pre mix.
Anyway right now I've set the slow drip to about 5 to 7 drips per minute the fast drip is about double.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FOLcOyglTA[/ame]

Thanks Chuck !
I was wanting to do away with premix altogether I'm just guessing at 4 drops of oil per minute would be plenty and was just trying to see id anyone else is doing the same and what flow they are using.
Looks like I'm on my own if I want to do this oh well wouldn't be the first time I screwed something up!

Is there a spring that keeps the needle valve closed when the cam is flipped? I'm the one who would like drawings from youtube. I found them thanks.

Will find the time to make one too for display/collection. Have seen/adjusted oil drops with same for last 48 years since my engineering trainee days with Metal Box (Continental Can).

Latest posts

Back