Back to Steam

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay kiddies--Here we go!! A running and reversing, all bar stock engine. Thank you so much to all of the forum members who stepped up and offered assistance when I was trying to figure out how to make the reversing mechanism work. Someone please give me a heads up if you can see the video alright.---Brian
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-oKiCXyFyE[/ame]

a BIG :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thx for sharing the build with us .

Will there by any chance a set of plans made available ?
This seems like a perfect candidate for me to try a cored casting someday .

Pat

In order to cover some of my costs in building this model, I will sell a complete set of my drawings for $25 Canadian.

I see that my first post on this engine was on the 4th of September. That's two and one half months of my life that demanded work on the engine just about every day. I'm sure that many were bored to tears with my posts from almost every day, but they mostly all showed the constant development of the engine. It was fun, taught me a few things, and was a nice break from i.c. engines. I still want to develop a nice intake and exhaust set-up for this engine, but I'm relieved that it is 99% finished and that it ran. This is the first time I have downloaded a 3D model from someone I don't know and have never met, and created drawings and working components from it. Whoever created that 3D model did an excellent job. I found one very minor error, and that was all. When you consider the vast quantity of math data that goes into developing accurate 3D models, this guy was first class. Thank you to all who commented or helped out along the way. The fat lady hasn't sang yet, there will be a few more posts showing the intake and exhaust manifolds, but we are almost thru here. It's been a great build.

you never bore me Brian. days where you didn't post on it I was in withdrawal. even if it were just a 4-40 flat head screw you made I would have wanted to see it. I have picked up a lot from you and many others on this forum, my machine work has started to improve as well because of it, you all take the time to explain and show things which helps me learn and adapt the techniques to other projects I make myself.

do you by chance have a listing of the different plans you have for sale? maybe a website to browse them or a posting in the 4 sale area here?

No, Werowance, I don't. The whole concept of selling plans for my engines is relatively new. For the first 5 or 6 years I posted the plans free. Now that I am retired, I find the cost of building these engines at $125 to $200 each is more than I like to bear, so selling the engine plans helps to defray some of my cost. My four most recent engines which I sell plans for are the steam engine featured in this article, the "Rockerblock engine (i.c.), the overhead cam engine (i.c.), and the single cylinder vertical engine (i.c.). If you do a search of this forum under my name, it will help you to locate the build threads on these engines. The overhead cam engine is one of my favourites.--Brian

The video is great Brian,thank you for sharing.As you say that the reversing
mechanism is very tricky to make with lots of small parts.I am glad mine
is bigger with only additional links to finish.Hope life gives me time to finish and get it running.As you say making models is an expensive business and i cant
fault you on wanting to make a nom charge for your drawings.I too watch all your posts with interest. Mayhugh with his spitfire V12 and Buchanan with his clock are top of my list simply because they are so far ahead in their field
Your posts are friendly and interesting and are within the abilities/scope of most
of us.May you keep forever keep posting

Thanks Bazmak--that's a very kind thing to say. I always worry a bit that I'm putting too much detail into my posts and boring the old hands here. Then I think back to seven years ago when I had just started machining as a hobby, and this is exactly the kind of detailed build that I wanted to see then.

The posts i find most interesting are the ones with a little light humour,a few questions and answers,and people putting their twopennoth in.And most of all the ones with someone giving a helping hand and kind word
Needless to say i follow all your posts even though most are IC which i have never got into. You mentioned you had retired from full time employment?

Never bore me Brian. An intriguing gear to build would the Greenly valve gear.
Rick
Sth. Australia.

Bazmac-I did retire from full employment when I was 65 .Spent a few months doing nothing but reading and watching tv and building small working engine models. This simply wasn't enough to keep me busy and challenge my mind. I found that you can't spend ALL your time building model engines or it loses it's appeal. You really do have to take a 4 to 6 or even 8 week break between them. A few of my old customers approached me and wanted me to act as a consulting design engineer for them on a part time basis, so I've been working 2 or 3 days a week for them. I find now that my life is kind of a balancing act between "real work" and "hobby work" and some "down time".

I always follow along, you sound so tickled when your model runs. Like when I show the bride some silly thing I made with the 'Look what I can do' grin . . .

Robert
That's because I always am pleased (and a little surprised) when they do run!!!

I enjoy your posts, Brian, because you don't do the usual in the usual way. There's always some faffing about with engines but you seem to come up with ways to make it run. Warts and All.

Keep the dirty side down,

Pete

I have a bunch of hexagon brass rods 7/16" across the flats which my friend gave me last year for fixing his motorcycle sprocket. I think they will make pretty cool looking intake and exhaust manifolds.
6GLNT5.jpg

I've silver soldered as much as I dare. This goes into my citric acid pickle solution now and sets overnight. Tomorrow I will "dress" the ends of the hexagon parts , clean up any remaining crud with a brass bristle brush, then Loctite things into place on the engine.
LKdm0U.jpg

And this, gentlemen, is THE END! The manifolds turned out very nice, the engine runs in forward and reverse, the project is completely finished. Thank you to all who have tagged along for this build.---Brian
IgPsvX.jpg

60w0Jv.jpg

Latest posts

Back