Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, Ray here from Ontario, Canada, I've been a model builder for a year or so. My first build was a PM Research Steam Engine #3, I enjoyed that so much I wanted something more challenging so I built a PM Research #4. This taxed the limits of my Mini lathe and mini mill but with the help of Blondihacks videos, I was able to successfully complete the build. It runs great on compressed air but I want live steam, as does everyone:D
So, I bought plans for a Bolton 6" boiler, the plans came today, what have I got myself intoo_O I'm a retired tool and die maker so I have many skills and attention to detail but this is going to take me beyond.

Last edited:
Welcone Ray, glad to have you.

Looks like you are progressing nicely with the model engine building skills.

Those boilers/silver soldering can be tricky, as Blondihacks shows in her videos.

Good luck.

Pat J

Over the years I've made three loco boilers. Don't be daunted yes you will learn new skills. Make sure your burners have more heat than you need you can't turn up a burner that's going flat out but you can reduce the heat from a big one. The other thing is cleanliness if the copper is clean and well fluxed then it will flow. It's not that difficult but patience and preparation are the key ingredients. I'm sure you'll succeed.
Brian

Hi, Ray here from Ontario, Canada, I've been a model builder for a year or so. My first build was a PM Research Steam Engine #3, I enjoyed that so much I wanted something more challenging so I built a PM Research #4. This taxed the limits of my Mini lathe and mini mill but with the help of Blondihacks videos, I was able to successfully complete the build. It runs great on compressed air but I want live steam, as does everyone:D
So, I bought plans for a Bolton 6" boiler, the plans came today, what have I got myself intoo_O I'm a retired tool and die maker so I have many skills and attention to detail but this is going to take me beyond.

Welcome to the group

Dave

Latest posts

Back