Another steam shovel for Oldmechthings

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernd

Reaction score
Hey Birk,

I was looking through my hard drive looking for something and I came across this steam shovel. Thought maybe you'd like another project. ;D

shovl_1.jpg

This is one of the original steam shovels that was used to dig the Panama Canal. I don't recall right now who built it. It was delivered in pieces via ship. After the canal was complete is was disassembled and brought back here to a stone quarry in Leroy, New York. I never got to many pictures of it since it was on private property. Fortunately somebody had knocked down the fence and I was able to get some pics. I would have gotten some pics inside but two things keep me from doing that. A 126 Instamatic with no flash and several hundred thousand wasps. But a quick peak inside showed several engines to run this monster. I remember one engine was used to steer the rear set of tracks. I don't remember if both sets were powered or not. The engine and mine cart are 3 foot gauge and now reside in Central Square, New York which is north of Syracuse, New York.

I should go back there some time and see if it's still there.

Bernd

Here's one they left in Panama (sorry about the lousy shot, it was a cool steam crane):

Panama_Day3_002.sized.jpg

And the motto of the canal engineers:

Panama_Day_4_017.sized.jpg

(click here for the huge version)

Here is one In Ka. Is like yours Birk? The shovel look great like all your work.
100_0942.jpg

100_0945.jpg

Bernd, it looks like a Bucyrus shovel. If this was brought back from Panama it had its railroad trucks replaced with cats. I believe all the Panama Canal shovels were equipped for use on rails. These shovels came both ways from the factory.

Frank

PolskiFran said:
Bernd, it looks like a Bucyrus shovel. If this was brought back from Panama it had its railroad trucks replaced with cats. I believe all the Panama Canal shovels were equipped for use on rails. These shovels came both ways from the factory.

Frank

Frank,

I did a quick search and came up with this sight for steam shovels. If you scroll down you'll find a picture of the same shovel. It's identified as a Marion shovel. I also did a quick check about the canal and found one picture of a simular shovel setting on railroad wheels. I'm sure they didn't transport it back over the rails since clearences would have been a problem. Now you got me interested in this old shovel and I may need to do a bit of research on it. :)

Bernd

A few pics of shovels at the Panama Canal

bucyrus_panamaSmall.jpg

Bucyrus 95 Ton at Panama Canal

bucyrus_panama001Small.jpg

Teddy Roosevelt on a Bucyrus at the Panama Canal. The shovel operator is the one holding the trip rope. Not much protection from the weather in those days. I remember this picture being in my history book in grade school.

A good book on shovels is "Bucyrus  Making the Earth Move for 125 Years" from MBI Publishing. It is a history of the Bucyrus company. I got my copy from Nation Builder Books.

Frank

Btw, if anybody ever does get anywhere near Panama, the canal and museum are well worth the visit. The big ships only have about 3 feet of clearance on either side. Today they use electric engines though.

Panama_Day_4_084.sized.jpg

Latest posts

Back