A V8 Maybe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pete, awesome to see this coming together. I don't have the faintest idea about what you are doing but I am following along and I am still impressed! Maybe one day I might be game enough to have a go at an IC engine. I am watching Brian's new design closely!

Hi Rod
some Days I feel Im not sure what I'm doing either LOL
Brians new water cooled design looks great, I am a fan of that type of regulator for Hit n Miss Engines.

Camshaft is looking great! keep it up, I want to see the blower build :cool:

Hi Johnny
I have been meaning to make a longer boring bar to use in the broring head for the Blower, thanks for reminding me :)
Pete

Looks awesome mate following closely:cool: , are you going to line bore the blower
similar to the main bearings?

Hi Browny
So far Im planing to do it on the Mill with the DRO but that may change.
I want to make up the Boring Bar anyway so we will see.
Pete

Hi:

Great project.

Did you have a set of plans to work from?
I am wondering how you figured out the angles.
Did you have an original engine to work from?
Are you making an exact copy of the original?

I greatly appreciate any information you share with all of us.

Thanks,

Terry

Hi Terry
The Plans were Rubbish and discarded almost from day one. They were used as a starting point only.
Here is a short quote from Steve Huck's Artical on cam turning on the Lathe and a link to find it.
Pete

"Knowing that there is 110 degrees of lobe separation, I put the first cut for intake #1, 110 degrees lagging its exhaust lobe.

The next cylinder in the firing order is #3 at 180 crank degrees lagging #1. That puts exhaust #3, 90 cam degrees behind exhaust #1 and intake #3 will be 200 cam degrees behind exhaust #1 or 110 behind exhaust #3."
http://www.mikes-models.com/camarticle.html

Its a art the way you do it. Love that!
No cnc or grindingmachine just art;)

Hi Steve and Camm1
Thanks for your concern Buddy, I have not been feeling to good for the last few weeks and have not been out to the shed since I made a new gib for the compound on the big Lathe.
After roughing it out I took it over to Ausdiers place and he put it up in his grinder on slips. Im very happy with it now or at least that bit, the rest of it is just as clapped out as ever :D
now that both the Cam and Crank are done on the V8, the project is starting to take shape but I just dont feel up to it at the moment.
Pete

Last edited:
Peter, take care, many of us watch your progress, but you can only do what you can do. I don't know about the others around the globe, but I can wait patiently for the next Installment.

Hey Pete
Take care of yourself first is the good thing to do
and if you need strength don't drink milk look at the picture:D

cheers

Luc

milk.jpg

Hi Guys
Thanks for the well wishes, I am very Happy to have such friends.
I'm feeling a little better now and did some easy bits to get back into the flow.
I made up some simple stands first and then made up the sump plug.
I drilled and tapped both sump plug and dipstick hole for 5/16-40 but have not finished the dipstick itself yet.
Pete

Thanks Buddy
It truly is a massive project and Im not even sure im at the half way point yet.
Pete

Hi Pete.
nice to see you feel better and back at it;)
don't over do it and get sick again:fan:

Man that sounds like your mother talking to youRof}Rof}Rof}

Latest posts

Back