A V8 Maybe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalmad

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hi guys I guess its time I started another build log :hDe:
Some time ago someone out there in cyber space sent me an incompleate set of plans for a Chev inspired V8 and I thought I have a go at Casting up the Block.
My Mate down the road drew me up a block in CAD (Ausdier) and this is the start of the journey.
I dont know if I will ever finish it as lots of dims are unreadable or missing, but so far, im loving making the Castings. After id made up the pattens for the block Ausdier came over for the first pour, unfortunetly I know very little about Casting and had a few issues. :fan:
I did not make the sand anywhere near wet enougth and put the spew hole much too close to the flasks (edge of box) As a resault the top box lifted and I lost half an inch or so of my pour onto the dirt.
I gave another Mate, Bez a call that night and he suggested turning the pour around so the magority of metal is in the bottom flask and using lots of weight or clamping the flasks together.
So far this build is mostly about learning to cast my own Engines.

Pete

DSCN0294.jpg

DSCN0295.jpg

DSCN0296-1.jpg

DSCN0299.jpg

Hi Pete

For sure I will be watching your trials and tribulations as you progress on this build. Best of luck and I wil be learning new things as you go along.

Vince

p.s. Is this Project W??

Hi Vince
The kiwi is looking great Mate
Project W is on hold for the time being but its not forgoten :)
I did a repour the next afternoon and although I got a little bit of shrinkage I think The second block is usable Thm:
DSCN0300.jpg

DSCN0309.jpg

DSCN0317.jpg

What a couple of cutie pies! Funny how as I get older, I find little kids to be more entertaining than ever. I'll bet they keep your life "interesting". :rolleyes:

On a more sober note, you want to be careful about getting the sand too wet. Too much water will turn to steam rather quickly and you might wind up with a faceful of molten metal. Happened to me once, but luckily I was standing back and none of the ejecta got to me. Scary though...

Chuck

Hi Chuck
Interesting is right, they love playing in the sand but my boy finds it hard keeping it all in the box :fan:
As you can see from the pics the sand was much too dry and this time of year in a big tin shed, it drys out as you fill the flask.
These pics are from the ilfated first pour and enboldened me to the point I did a repour the next afternoon.
As you can see If I had not run out of metal due to the flask lifting it would have been a very nice Block.
I am off course pouring ingots and Barstock in the form of Sprue castings as I go along :)
pete
DSCN0331.jpg

DSCN0336.jpg

DSCN0338.jpg

Hi alexandre
thanks for watching:)
I was so happy with my almost good enougth block, I had another go the next afternoon.
Pete

DSCN0341.jpg

DSCN0340.jpg

Hi guys
After getting a usable Block I could not help myself and put it up in the mill.
The pics show me drilling all the holes in the lower deck to be taped 8-32 and then hogging out between the Bearing Webs to a depth of 20 mm for the time being.
As you can see from the cupful of swarf, I remelt my swarf when I think of it :)
Pete
DSCN0342.jpg

DSCN0343.jpg

Hi Steve
I recon she will be at least a foot high or more, once the heads, Blower and carbys go on, Im planing on Casting up a bell housing so the length will be even more:hDe:
At the moment im planing on a pair of wipper snipper carbys with perhaps a one piece Aircleaner but who knows :fan:
This one may have to live out in the shed set up ready to run on a work bench as I hate to think how heavy she is gunna be LOL
Here is the sump
Pete
DSCN0350.jpg

DSCN0349.jpg

DSCN0351.jpg

Here are the patterns for the rear bulk head and timing cover.
Im starting to have second thoughts about the size of the boss on the timing cover, but I may well put a bearing in it or at the very least a oil seal, any thoughts?
The current size was only determed by the width of the bit of scrap wood and the old spray can lid I had sitting around.
Pete
DSCN0356.jpg

DSCN0357.jpg

G'day Pete,

Looking good mate, where do you find the time?????
My engine is no way close to where you are at. I am making Steve Hucks engine double the size.

Will be taking tips from you in regards to the block casting.
thanks for the build, you have me very interested.

Baz.

Hi Baz
The little Deamon twice size now thats an idea!!
ummmmmm I wonder if that first block I cast has enougth meat in it for the Deamon scratch.gif
Maybe I better finish this one first :fan:
As far as taking tips from me, Mate you really have to be joking, I just made a very basic pattern that did not even have any Cores in it and got lucky, I really am learning this as I go.
this post brings us up to today when I drilled and tapped the rear bulkhead.
I will recast the Timing cover, but the bulkhead will be covered by both the flywheel and bell housing so maybe ill use it at least for now.
Pete

DSCN0359.jpg

DSCN0363.jpg

DSCN0364.jpg

G'day Pete,

No joke, I was racking my brains how to cast the block. For some unknown reason I could not work out how to make the pattern. Now I know how to do it from the pictures you uploaded with the pattern in multiple pieces.

I am only new to casting as well,

The heads you have seen that I cast are a product of several failed attempts.

Thanks to the old beer keg furnace I just kept on re melting and trying again.

Baz.

Hi Baz
get stuck into it buddy, seeing that pic of your heads was a big factor in making me have a go at Casting my own V8 :cool:
I put the Block up on the mill this Arvo and finished off the ends with a fly cutter.
I am really happy with the Block Casting so far, not bad for a bush machanic LOL
Pete
DSCN0365.jpg

really got stuck into it today and drilled and taped to fit up the bulkhead then I peck drilled the Cam hole undersize from both ends to be reamed later.
There is a 1/8 oil hole above the Cam and I had been a little worried that the shrinkage I got in the casting could course a break out but it was all sweet.
I peck drilled from both ends with a long series .115 drill and then again with a .125 long series with the mill on its fastest speed.
DSCN0367.jpg

DSCN0369.jpg

DSCN0370.jpg

Yesterday I also started on the Head pattern which again will be a simple wedge shape with no cores.
im also thinking about making up a pattern next for the roller rocker body so I can cast one Body with every pour, there are 16 of them and i want to use the same pattern for all of them , maybe I need to make up a couple of small flasks for the little parts and do them four at a time.
Pete
DSCN0371.jpg

DSCN0373.jpg

Hay Baz
check it out
I did a cyl head pour this arvo and despite a little shrinkage in the deck area I think its usable, Luckly I put a fair bit of meat there, maybe Ill put it up in the mill tonight and take a scim of the face to see if it can be used and With any luck get the other head cast on sunday.woohoo1
Pete
DSCN0374.jpg

DSCN0378.jpg

Latest posts

Back